Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Do I need to stay home when I set the oven to self-clean?

...and would it be a bad idea to do it on a cold day? Perhaps I should wait for a warm day to open windows? It's been like 4 years since it's been cleaned..so I figured it's about time.
any other tips?

Advertisement

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do I need to stay home when I set the oven to self-clean?

Yes would definitely stay home and make sure everything is okay when you self clean. The oven gets extremely hot when it does that and burns off all the inners, so i would suggest that you stay there to make sure nothing else happens. As far as the cold day. I personally would rather do it on a cold day because the oven will get hot and sure you might have to open a window or 2 for a lil bit, but I wouldn't personally wanna do it on a hot day and make the house hotter, but that's just my
Old 01-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Breesy23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used the self cleaning feature before we went to bed one night with not so good results, the oven caught on fire. Well at least the oil in the bottom of the oven did. Our house filled with smoke and the detectors went off so nothing was lost but it was really scary! We had all the doors and windows open almost all night after the fire and the next day and it was freezing outside. I say you wait till it's a nice day and open up the house and do it, it smells funny to me even when it doesn't catch on fire.

BTW - our oven is less than 5 years old so it's not because we have an old dirty model!

Wendi
Old 01-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
madmacksmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
Yes would definitely stay home and make sure everything is okay when you self clean. The oven gets extremely hot when it does that and burns off all the inners, so i would suggest that you stay there to make sure nothing else happens. As far as the cold day. I personally would rather do it on a cold day because the oven will get hot and sure you might have to open a window or 2 for a lil bit, but I wouldn't personally wanna do it on a hot day and make the house hotter, but that's just my
Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Arkaidy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes stay home! My oven caught fire once too, so make sure there are no huge chunks in there. And the scarriest part was that you can't open the oven to put out the fire!! We had to unplug it and watch the flame subside. It's hella scarry I was freaking out!

Veggie lovin', cloth diapering, semi-vaxing, babywearin', co-sleeping, extended bfing, extended rear-facing, non spanking, no CIO EVER kinda family with lot's of fuzzy luvies.
And expecting #2!! ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35** **40
Arkaidy is offline   Reply With Quote