View Poll Results: How did your parents tell you about sex?
Had a 'talk' (may have used a book too) 26 28.26%
Handed you a book but didn't really talk to you about it 13 14.13%
They never told you about sex 46 50.00%
Other - Explain! 7 7.61%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-22-2006, 03:35 PM   #21
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: How did your parents tell you about sex?

When I was about 5 or 6, my mom handed me a book. I didn't understand it, though. I didn't actually learn how the act was done until 6th grade I think. I wasn't told to not have sex, when to have sex, or the purpose of sex. Because of this, I made horrid mistakes I wish I could take back.

SOOO I am doing it differently with my kids. Sex education is part of our homeschooling curriculum. At age appropriate levels, we discuss the facts, the terminology, the biology, and most importantly, the morality of it all. I want them to be comfortable with their bodies and in knowing how everything works, but also realize that they aren't meant to "work" that way until marriage.

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #22
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember my mom talking to me about babies a little when I was about 7 1/2 because she was pregnant with my sister. But, more than anything else in that conversations, I remember her telling me about my brother that she placed for adoption when she was 16. I learned about sex-ed in 5th grade and I think my parents just kinda let that be "the talk" ya know? I learned more in 6th grade when I got AF... then in 11th grade when I got pregnant. I knew plenty, it wasn't that I didn't know... it was more that I didn't think it would happen to me or it wouldn't be a big deal if it did since I was stuck babysitting my sister every evening and summer anyway. LOL If I only knew!!
I'm not sure how to talk to my sons about it yet, I know that kids talk about stuff and I don't want them going to school and telling a girl that she's going to get her period one day or something... kwim?? We already told them that private parts are PRIVATE and that we don't discuss them with or show them to other people besides your parents or your dr. I am still trying to figure out the whole "waiting till your married" thing even though mom & dad didn't... I dunno how to go about that one. I also only told them that babies come from bellies... I just didn't know how to answer it when they asked... bad bad mama!!
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #23
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was told by Lori Nichols...the sixth grade crossing guard when I was in fifth grade. She walked me home, and obliged me with all the good info.

She was wrong, by the way.

Very wrong.

I hope she figured out her misguided information before it was too late.

Last edited by escapethevillage; 08-22-2006 at 03:46 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:44 AM   #24
serena22304
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

when i was 4 years old my mom sat me down with a book. talk about an uncomfortable time!
then throughout the years if i had any questions i would just ask her.
serena22304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

My Mom sat me down when I was 10 with a book called "Where did I come from?" and then never spoke to me about it again. Things are much different with my kids. We talk very openly about bodies and all the parts, use the correct terms and my children will always be told that no questions are off limits and will be encouraged to talk about it. Knowledge is power
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #26
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

My mom told me NOTHING. The only reason I knew what that blood in my underwear one morning was because we went through classes in school...(but we did NOT talk about sex...we only talked about our sex's parts) The girls and boys were split up and we learned about girls and the boys learned about their parts. I told my mom I started my period..she took me to the store and bought me pads...and there was no more talk of it....

The one comment I do remember is I was in like 2nd grade my friend told me that sex is "when a man parks his car in a womans garage" Then once we started learning about boys/girls parts in like 7th ish grade everything made sense to me.

Pretty sad eh? I do plan on being more open with my children....If they ask questions I am not afraid to answer...(luckily we havent had questions yet )
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #27
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

When I was in fifth grade my mom had "the talk" with me during a commercial in the "Love Boat."

She said, "A man and a woman untie and a baby is born." I was in the fifth grade...in a suburb of DC...thankfully I already knew the facts or I would have been baffled. That is quite literally all she said about it, ever.

She was a very reserved person...I'm actually shocked that she said that much.

I haven't had the talk with DD yet, but she does know about basic anatomy and whatnot. I know that "American Girl" makes a pretty good book...I want to check that out and see how age-appropriate it is.

At this point, DD doesn't have much curiosity, or interest in it at all. We've had some talks about childbirth since I'm expecting, and while she is very interested in the baby and wants to be there when he is born (still up for discussion), she tunes out as soon as I start to describe the mechanics of it...pretty much the same reaction I get when we practice the subtraction tables

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:30 AM   #28
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

untie? I'm an adult and I'm baffled.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:33 AM   #29
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

I just asked my mom about it and she explained...it was a pretty easy talk!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 12:34 AM   #30
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
untie? I'm an adult and I'm baffled.
I think she meant "unite"

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote