Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
When to tell work?

Sooo, when do I tell work that I'm pregnant? I accepted this position, then found out I was pregnant a week later.

I would like to not work after the baby is born, but am still convincing DH about that.....he worries about $$.

About my job--I'm a real estate agent and switched from general brokerage (lots of freedom) to on site new home sales (which is why I'm on here all the time) with a full time schedule. I'm due July 1, the height of the housing season.

As far as showing, I could probably go until 8-9 months before people start wondering, as I hold it all in given my size. We had people at church ask if we adopted DD because they didn't even know I was pregnant and then came in with a new baby one day.

If I plan on working here after the birth, I can take 6-8 wks of maternity, and it will be my responsibility to find a sub for those weeks. If I quit, I just quit probably late June, I'd just tell them June 30. If I have to find a sub, I should start announcing the position and interviewing by the beginning of May.

I'm thinking I'll tell folks in May, so if I do decide to quit they have time to look for a new agent......WWYD?

8 years with my Hubby. Finally a SAHM to 5 yo DS and 22 month old DD and brand new DD
MamaEli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When to tell work?

Actually I told them the day I found out. We were making plans for summer care (I worked at a daycare) and wanted to make sure I wasn't put on the schedule since I was due in June (and ended up having DS 2 weeks late). Besides, I was really excited and couldn't hold it in lol.
As for not going back, I kept them on the fence about that. I told them MAYBE, I wasn't sure, etc. Of course, in my head, I'm thinking NEVER!!! lol But I eventually let them know at the end of my leave. We were/are concerned about $$ but we just watch our spending and take it one month at a time.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

I agree about keeping them on the fence. Legally they can't do anything about it, but they'll keep your pregnancy in mind when planning for future things. Especially if you don't think anyones going to be hip to your pregnancy, I would ride it out for a bit, and get a feel of their attitude about pregnanct employees. If your going to have to take a lot of time off for apts or if your not feeling well, I would tell them.

Why is it your responsibility to find a sub? Are you an IC? (I started to study real estate but quit halfway through my 1st so I don't know exactly how that works.

Either way, I wouldn't close any door, as you may change your mind! Originally I wasn't going to go back until the start of the new school year (7mo), but now I'm thinking I may go back earlier (3-4) mo. I still don't know
~I do not identify myself by my parenting style~
I my FCB's!
Nikki_Nikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Ask the company for their policy. You can talk to an HR person instead of your boss and ask her(him) to keep it confidential. At my work, I did not need to tell until 2 weeks before. I did tell earlier though, basically at the point where you would have to have lied about your belly

I guess I am a bit pessimistic since I work in a male dominated field, but I do not want to tell anybody early, since then I might not get considered for important projects or other opportunities I'd otherwise want to do.
Tad is offline   Reply With Quote