Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #11
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Everything in moderation. We would be screwed in our diabetic household without Artificial sweetener, although Splenda seems like the best choice. Rats, when given and GIGANTIC dose developed brain development problems and some developed cancer, but the same can be said for almost anything in gigantic doses. All are still FDA approved for consumption in pregnancy, but I only take it in drinks occasionally.

Advertisement

Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Julie K
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I avoid aspartame, pg or not at all costs if I can (and know about it!) Google "aspartame health" - you'll be horrified that its still allowed to be put into food and drinks! You don't even have to put "bad health" in the search.

I don't trust any of the artificial sweeteners. Even splenda which people argue is made from sugar...its been chemically altered! My best science geek example is table salt...its been made from chlorine (toxic green gas) and sodium (white soft metal that explodes when water touches it)...separate they are unsafe...chemically put them together and you can eat it safely. Chemically altering things, changes their properties.
Julie K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can some of you tell me what in aspartame scares you. It is made of two amino acids found in much higher amounts in other natural foods like milk and meat, juices. Over 200 studies have been done with safe results. Also, aspartame does not accumulate in the body and is eliminated completely. Don't believe all of the internet scare tactics out there that are based on absolutely no scientific research and just speculation. It is a food additive that has been studied very thoroughly for the past 40 years and they have yet to prove anything bad about it.

http://www.aspartame.org/aspartame_latest.html
Old 01-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a friend from church that began having seizures(sp) anyway after doing test after test on him it was because he was drinking diet pop that contained the aspartame. That is why I was going with splenda, but come to find out it isn't any better.
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother4JC View Post
We have a friend from church that began having seizures(sp) anyway after doing test after test on him it was because he was drinking diet pop that contained the aspartame. That is why I was going with splenda, but come to find out it isn't any better.
There is no such test.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller

My Mood:

Following ingestion, aspartame is broken down in the digestive tract to form aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol. Therefore, hardly any aspartame gets in the blood.
Methanol: CH3OH. Methanol is the simplest alcohol and is toxic. At high concentrations, methanol can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and death. Acute exposure may cause blindness. Chronic exposure to methanol can cause liver damage.
Methanol has many uses. It is an industrial solvent and used as a raw material in the manufacture of formaldehyde. Methanol is also used as antifreeze for use in vehicles, a camping stove fuel, a solvent for inks, dyes, resins, and adhesives.

I could go on about other things....but if you want to put that in your body and in your loved ones, be my guest. I can find NOTHING good about it!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
labrae
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was a HUGE Diet Coke drinker before I was pregnant, but stopped when I read about possible risks during pregnancy. I guess I just figure that it's better to just not ingest unnatural ingredients when my baby is still forming, when it would be much more harmful to her than to me, if a risk exists. I'm pretty sure I'll still stay away from it after she is born, for my own health. Sometimes they will approve an ingredient for many years before it is finally pulled, and it's not like a person needs diet pop for their health (although you would have been hard pressed to convince me of that before ). Now, I will have regular pop on occasion, and figure that my health and my weight BOTH need to be important, not just my weight. Now I just need to work on eating those vegetables...!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #18
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Following ingestion, aspartame is broken down in the digestive tract to form aspartic acid, phenylalanine and methanol. Therefore, hardly any aspartame gets in the blood.
Methanol: CH3OH. Methanol is the simplest alcohol and is toxic. At high concentrations, methanol can cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and death. Acute exposure may cause blindness. Chronic exposure to methanol can cause liver damage.
Methanol has many uses. It is an industrial solvent and used as a raw material in the manufacture of formaldehyde. Methanol is also used as antifreeze for use in vehicles, a camping stove fuel, a solvent for inks, dyes, resins, and adhesives.

I could go on about other things....but if you want to put that in your body and in your loved ones, be my guest. I can find NOTHING good about it!
There is 6X more methanol in a single serving of tomato juice. methanol is a natural bi-product of many of foods we eat. Please check the facts.

http://www.aspartame.org/aspartame_facts.html
Old 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
There is 6X more methanol in a single serving of tomato juice. methanol is a natural bi-product of many of foods we eat. Please check the facts.

http://www.aspartame.org/aspartame_facts.html
I have, thank you. I'm not tying to bash you...but please check YOURS. That site you have listed is NOT a non-partial site. You should do the research on what corporation runs that site. It's about the $$$. If you look at "non-partial" sites on the substance you won't find anything good.

btw...the methanol in tomato juice is rendered unharmful because of the nature and other products it is incorporated with. It's a chemical thing. (and yes, I do have my medical degree...MANY years of organic chemistry)
Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #20
Nicki
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrae View Post
I was a HUGE Diet Coke drinker before I was pregnant, but stopped when I read about possible risks during pregnancy. I guess I just figure that it's better to just not ingest unnatural ingredients when my baby is still forming, when it would be much more harmful to her than to me, if a risk exists. I'm pretty sure I'll still stay away from it after she is born, for my own health. Sometimes they will approve an ingredient for many years before it is finally pulled, and it's not like a person needs diet pop for their health (although you would have been hard pressed to convince me of that before ). Now, I will have regular pop on occasion, and figure that my health and my weight BOTH need to be important, not just my weight. Now I just need to work on eating those vegetables...!
Aspartame is made of and broken down into chemicals that are found in almost all foods. It is only considered "artificial" because it tastes like sugar but isn't.