Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
Nicki's Avatar
Nicki
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,916
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I have, thank you. I'm not tying to bash you...but please check YOURS. That site you have listed is NOT a non-partial site. You should do the research on what corporation runs that site. It's about the $$$. If you look at "non-partial" sites on the substance you won't find anything good.

btw...the methanol in tomato juice is rendered unharmful because of the nature and other products it is incorporated with. It's a chemical thing. (and yes, I do have my medical degree...MANY years of organic chemistry)
I've researched the crap out of this, written papers on it and have studied orgainic chemistry, microbiology and biochem. I also have a medical degree and my daughter is diabetic. I have also sourced my research for you, something you have yet to do. There is alot of sh*tty sites out there. This is not a biased site and the facts on this site can be found on dozens more that are reputable and researched.

Saying "it's a chemical thing" does not prove any of your points or back up your take. This is just a subject I happen to know a lot about, being an aspiring endocrinologist and dietitian (and I've talked to them about this too).

Advertisement

__________________
www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=282212 So far I've won 20 gift cards and it was super easy! Click and come join the fun!
Zulily link: http://www.zulily.com/invite/nkennedy659
Mom of 4 with one on the way Sept 2013
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #22
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 3,222
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
I've researched the crap out of this, written papers on it and have studied orgainic chemistry, microbiology and biochem. I also have a medical degree and my daughter is diabetic. I have also sourced my research for you, something you have yet to do. There is alot of sh*tty sites out there. This is not a biased site and the facts on this site can be found on dozens more that are reputable and researched.

Saying "it's a chemical thing" does not prove any of your points or back up your take. This is just a subject I happen to know a lot about, being an aspiring endocrinologist and dietitian (and I've talked to them about this too).
I didn't feel the need to document since all anyone has to do is search the internet themselves. I did not post to this thread to start an arguement. It's a subject I happen to know a lot about as well (and still learning thankfully). I personally, would not trust any dietitian that supports the use of aspartame or would I suggest it to a diabetic.
I did just see that your LO is a diabetic and I'm sorry she has to deal with that. I know more about that subject that I wish. That's why I'm surprised that you dont see a problem with the ingestion of aspartame.
If you feel that having aspartame as part of your diet and that of your family poses no harmful side affects than you are certainly entitled to that opinion. For me and my family, it's not something I consider safe.
And I also encourage every mama...WOMAN...to do their research fully on this.
There are lots of things in foods found EVERYWHERE that I don't wish to ingest. I'm still learning. And I'm starting slowly. I've already taken aspartame out of our home the best I could and will continue to be vigilant about it.
__________________
I walk a fine line...between order and chaos
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
Nicki's Avatar
Nicki
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,916
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Here is just PART of the list of organizations that maintain that aspartame is a safe substance:

Science and Professional Organizations
Alzheimer’s Association
American Academy of Family Physicians
American Cancer Society
American Council on Science and Health
American Diabetes Association
American Dietetic Association
American Heart Association
Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America
British Medical Journal (editorial)
Canadian Diabetes Association
Diabetes U.K.
Lupus Foundation of America
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Mayo Clinic
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
Multiple Sclerosis Foundation
National Cancer Institute
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
National Parkinson Foundation
The Nemours Foundation
U.K. Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF)
U.S. Consumer Information Center

Also, here is a bit more research info that debunks the aspartame myths:

http://www.aspartame.org/aspartame_e...r4.html#snopes

DO the research, don't believe the hype.
__________________
www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=282212 So far I've won 20 gift cards and it was super easy! Click and come join the fun!
Zulily link: http://www.zulily.com/invite/nkennedy659
Mom of 4 with one on the way Sept 2013
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
Irishmommy's Avatar
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: south Texas
Posts: 2,544
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

I am diabetic and I will continue to use products with the aritificial sweeteners in them. I couldn't handle it if I had to drink only water almost 100% of the time (I mostly drink water and crystal light, not soda). I can't have caffine either, so regular sodas don't help give me any more variety. I agree with Nikki on this one from the research that I've done.
__________________
Shannon - Loving wife to my Navy man
Mommy to Noah 6.5, Caitlyn 2.5, and Aiden 2-28-08
and my two angels CL, and Emily JoAn b/d 5-14-2004
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #25
Christina's Avatar
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Loganville, GA
Posts: 4,532
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

After having gastric bypass I cannot eat or drink sugar, it makes me horribly ill so I have if I want to have anything remotely sweet it has to be an artificial sweetner. I don't eat or drink it all the time but I do have it on occasion and I think I would go stir crazy if I couldn't have a little something sweetened with Splenda every now and then.
__________________
Christina ~ Lovin' life with my wonderful DH and my 5 little munchkins. Maddie - 13, Sara - 10, Jack - 9, Lizzie - 4 and Anna 8/8/12
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #26
Nicki's Avatar
Nicki
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,916
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

[QUOTE=Jonesy;2459043
I did just see that your LO is a diabetic and I'm sorry she has to deal with that. I know more about that subject that I wish. That's why I'm surprised that you dont see a problem with the ingestion of aspartame. [/QUOTE]

yeah..uh huh...

Please take a walk in my daughter's shoe's or mine for that matter and YOU will really know more than you wish.

Sorry...VERY sensitive subject to me.
__________________
www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=282212 So far I've won 20 gift cards and it was super easy! Click and come join the fun!
Zulily link: http://www.zulily.com/invite/nkennedy659
Mom of 4 with one on the way Sept 2013
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #27
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 3,222
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
yeah..uh huh...

Please take a walk in my daughter's shoe's or mine for that matter and YOU will really know more than you wish.

Sorry...VERY sensitive subject to me.
I did NOT mean to offend. I HAVE taken a walk in your shoes! I've dealt very personally and closely with it. In fact, it's one of the reasons I have chosen to take aspartame (as much as I possibly can) out of the diet of my family. It's hard work to continue to do what you believe is best for your family. And I like to believe that all of us here are trying to do just that. But we are all different; different views, different beliefs, different opinions, different minds. That's what makes us great.
I'm sorry if you took offense to it. It was NOT meant that way!
__________________
I walk a fine line...between order and chaos
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #28
Nicki's Avatar
Nicki
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,916
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I did NOT mean to offend. I HAVE taken a walk in your shoes! I've dealt very personally and closely with it. In fact, it's one of the reasons I have chosen to take aspartame (as much as I possibly can) out of the diet of my family. It's hard work to continue to do what you believe is best for your family. And I like to believe that all of us here are trying to do just that. But we are all different; different views, different beliefs, different opinions, different minds. That's what makes us great.
I'm sorry if you took offense to it. It was NOT meant that way!
I'm fine, just a preggo hormone flare-up. What was your experience with it if you don't mind me asking? You have type one? Significant other? Children? Just curious.
__________________
www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=282212 So far I've won 20 gift cards and it was super easy! Click and come join the fun!
Zulily link: http://www.zulily.com/invite/nkennedy659
Mom of 4 with one on the way Sept 2013
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #29
Jonesy's Avatar
Jonesy
SHWING!
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 3,222
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
I'm fine, just a preggo hormone flare-up. What was your experience with it if you don't mind me asking? You have type one? Significant other? Children? Just curious.
Ahhhh...I am not pregnant but still think I get those preggo hormone flare-ups
I, personally, do not have Diabetes. I have two immediate family members that have Type I. I have another immediate family memeber with Type II and have dealt with the loss of organs and appendages because of it. I would love to see this disease eradicated.
Is your daughter on a pump? We recently got a new pump and it's been such a blessing!

uh oh...I think we hi-jacked...sorry
__________________
I walk a fine line...between order and chaos
Jonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:21 PM   #30
Nicki's Avatar
Nicki
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,916
My Mood:
Re: How bad are they? (Artificial Sweeteners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Ahhhh...I am not pregnant but still think I get those preggo hormone flare-ups
I, personally, do not have Diabetes. I have two immediate family members that have Type I. I have another immediate family memeber with Type II and have dealt with the loss of organs and appendages because of it. I would love to see this disease eradicated.
Is your daughter on a pump? We recently got a new pump and it's been such a blessing!

uh oh...I think we hi-jacked...sorry
pump is coming in the summer, we are very excited to start.
__________________
www.swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=282212 So far I've won 20 gift cards and it was super easy! Click and come join the fun!
Zulily link: http://www.zulily.com/invite/nkennedy659
Mom of 4 with one on the way Sept 2013
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.