Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
foreskin question

What is the purpose of it?
I'm being told there is no function/purpose of the foreskin.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

Re: foreskin question

This link appears to quickly cover the basics.
http://www.norm-uk.org/function.html
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Registered Users

It absolutely has functions. The body is not going to expend energy to grow useless parts (even the appendix has functions they're just discovering). Among a number of other purposes, the foreskin functions to keep the glans covered and sensitive. It is meant to be an internal organ that is occasionally used externally (like your tongue). Without it's built in protection, the glans slowly becomes less able to feel sensation (as your tongue would if it were unable to retreat to your mouth).

I'm focusing on this function because a circ'ed member of my family has recently had some experience with the difference between being covered vs. being exposed to air and clothing all the time. He started restoring his foreskin, where they push the glans into the remaining skin and tape it in place so that the tension creates skin growth (that's the short version, you can look it up). Anyway this caused his glans to be covered for about 8 hours a day. He says that he's feeling things he hasn't felt since he was a teenager. Appearently the difference is pretty incredible after even a week or so of partial coverage. It has solidified his opinion of circ as a bad thing and he has been quite vocal (within the family) about how much more sensation he has already.

So don't let anyone tell you there is no purpose for the foreskin. My family member very much wishes he didn't have to go to all this work to regain something he was born with and to have sensations that he never should have lost.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It also serves as vital protection especially in the infant stage when the area is constantly exposed to urine and feces. That is why it isn't retractible in babies. It produces smegma which acts to clean the area and also has langerhan's cells which they have recently discovered attack HIV and other diseases. But really it has a similar function to a woman's clitoral hood. It keeps an internal organ internal. If it isn't there suddenly the glans is an external organ which is not how it was designed.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
onlygirl
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
That is why it isn't retractible in babies.
man!!!! dr's tell new moms to pull it back and clean it!!!! i dont know how many new moms i have told not to do this!!!!!!!they say well my doc told me to (like I did in the add cereal to the formula thing) and i am like NO dont pull it back you will hurt him. dammit. circ where i live is way less common than non and there are lots of teen moms, they tell them to pull it back and it upsets me cause i dont want the babies hurt dammit.
onlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
sahmof3boys
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlygirl View Post
man!!!! dr's tell new moms to pull it back and clean it!!!! i dont know how many new moms i have told not to do this!!!!!!!they say well my doc told me to (like I did in the add cereal to the formula thing) and i am like NO dont pull it back you will hurt him. dammit. circ where i live is way less common than non and there are lots of teen moms, they tell them to pull it back and it upsets me cause i dont want the babies hurt dammit.
i was only told to pull it back and clean when he was circ....i had both of mine circ.
sahmof3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The foreskin has numerous functions. The head of the penis is suppose to be, technically, an inner organ. Safe and protected by the foreskin. It keeps the penis clean. It aids in sex, helping to lessen friction for the female, and as foreskin covered penis is much more sensative.

Plus, lets be honest, intact little boys are so much easier to take care of, because there is nothing to take care of at all. lol. Just wipe it off. I have a circ'd little boy that I babysit and every time he poops, it gets in all his folds and I have to clean him out. Plus, his penis head gets so rashy from his urine, feces, and I think just rubbing on the diaper. My son has never had penis issues, every now and then when he gets a super bad rash (like before we found out he was lactose intolerant), the tip of his foreskin would get a bit red and irritated. But his penis was protected thank goodness. Can you imagine having a bleeding rash on your penis head! His foreskin protected everything.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
onlygirl
Banned

My Mood:

my uncirced have had issues under the skin too so i dont think the skin is a holy shield. things can still irritate the head of the penis with a foreskin on it. it doesnt matter which way you go, there can be issues with a penis either way. i have had to soak my boys in baking soda baths for redness and irritation under the foreskin. so there are issues with both ways. it has much to do with culture and upbringing, and once again i will say it is best to educate people about your views if they are important to you, not shove it down someones throat, its best not to sound like a fanatic. my best bud just had a grandson and her daughter circed, i was suprised how sad i felt about it really, but its non of my business it isn my family and i wont say a damn thing. the deed is done. please people try to educate not freak out on people over issues.
onlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote