Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Another Ear infection!

I agree with seeing a Chiro. Also i just cleared my ds up with TTO and grapesead oil. And a lot are also caused by dairy allergies. You def want to get a good probiotic if your lo has been on a lot of antibiotics. GL and hope he feels better. Might do some research online and see if their is anything you might have missed that could be triggering the ear infections.

Advertisement

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #12
tinab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Odd question- do you have any pets? My husband has been getting ear infection after ear infection and it turns out he is allergic to our cat! I NEVER thought they could be from the cat, but he manifested the allergy that way. Guess it isn't uncommon to get ear infections because of allergies of many kinds. Just something else to consider.
Soon to be TTC #3; the final chapter!
Moola Invites
tinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Wow, thank you mama's for all the replies!! I really appreciate it! We do not have any inside pets, but we do have an area that they can come into a small portion of the house that we keep gated off so they can't run the house, that way they can come in to sleep, eat, and out of bad weather etc.. he really doesn't touch them or anything, but sometimes he'll stand there and watch them and giggle.. lol..
I will have to check about the procedure of getting tubes, I am so relieved to hear that they can do them in office now so if that's the case, I'm all for it! It sure would beat this misery every ear infection!! He has been getting downright unconsolable and it just has me in tears too! There's just nothing worse than being unable to sooth your child's pain!! I will be glad when the antibiotics kick in and he is feeling better and I can get something done around here too!
I have not heard of the vaxination.. That's interesting so I will look it up and read on it.
I just wonder if there is anything I am doing that is causing these infections? Could it be from him nursing while laying down in the the night? I think I've heard that drinking the bottle laying down can do it, so could bfing too I wonder?
Thank you again mama's!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I honestly don't believe the whole thing of babies having a bottle while laying down causing ear infections. My older two used to do it and they never had them. My youngest, while she's had an ear infection and takes a bottle at night, she has milk issues we're trying to sort through and I believe it's more that.

I still think you should start by taking out dairy for awhile and seeing if that makes a difference. But, yeah, the procedure for tubes is relatively minor. While it is possible (as with all procedures) for there to be a problem, it is quite rare, I believe. They've been doing tubes forever at this point, so it's not new. And it really doesn't cause any discomfort to a kid. Or, at least, not much. I don't remember any pain from any of mine except the last, but they took my tonsils and adenoids out at the same time as putting the tube in, and even then, it wasn't major pain and was gone within a couple of days.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #15
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Laying down while nursing could cause it, or help them along. It really just all depends on your child's inner ear shape though. What works for some might now work for others. Other babies could drink a bottle laying flat on their backs every single time and not get an ear infection. Once would be enough for my son to get one though. KWIM? It just all depends.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
mom23boys
Registered Users
seller

My oldest had so many ear infections before he turned one that we would go for our 2 week ear check after starting anti-biotics and he would still have one! I was worried about the amount of antibiotics he was taking and having him immune to them and the speech pathologist at school showed me an article that said the fluid that collects in a child's ear due to an infection can take 6 weeks to clear up even after the infection is gone. The study was showing speech issues with children with multiple ear infections because they couldn't hear correctly. Anyway, we had tubes put in when he was 13 months old and he was put under (didn't know we had an option). They fell out 3 years later and he did get an infection then because the tube was 1/2 in 1/2 out but in those 3 years, he never had a problem and fortunately hasn't had a problem since they fell out. Good luck - this being a mom is a tough job!
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Another Ear infection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krickison View Post
There is also a vax that you can get for your kids that is suposed to help with ear infections, but I know a lot of mamas on here are against vaxing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
Likely the vax you're talking about is Prevnar, and it's now being shown to cause super-bug (antibiotic resistant) ear infections. Might be part of the reason why my son gets them so badly (though his is definitely part genetics too).
My DS had that/those vaxes. No ear infections until this past summer. He had one July-ish and then TWO in December-pretty bad one (both ears) the second time. I do need to take him back in to make sure that they are 100% gone-but he hasn't complained during bath time, so I am hoping all is good.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I forgot about this post.. I want to update though.. Andrew got yet another ear infection this month! I took him back to the pediatrician and they got him scheduled with the ENT that following week.. long story short, we seen the ENT last Tuesday, and he got tubes in his ears Friday! He is doing wonderful and he's even pronouncing things more clearly now.. The doc said when he put the tubes in, he had quite a bit of fluid he drained from the one ear.. he said he was hearing much like he was under water.. this would explain why he was pronouncing things so strange.. like he'd use the tone I use for things, but the word was not anything like what I said.. He was saying 'gee-gee' for thank you.. he was using the tone he hears me say to him though.. Maybe that made sense, I don't know.. lol!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #19
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Makes perfect sense. If his ears are filled with fluid, it would sound exactly like being underwater to him. I'm glad he's doing so well now.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #20
hellomrzebranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Garlic/mullein oil is what really helped my son. That, and warm compresses and massaging the ear and around the to encourage fluids to drain.