Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing to pacify?

Thank you everyone, so much, for all the words of wisdom. I can't believe how many things happen everyday that bring a thousand questions to mind. I think I am more worrysome now than during the pregnancy!
I will definately be thinking my diet through more carefully. After reading through all the replies here, and speaking with someone from LLL, I now realize how much of what I eat goes into baby. I guess I just didn't do enough reading about breastfeeding while pregnant...thus I am constantly learning something new that I PROBABLY should have known to begin with.
I have a terrible caffeine addiction that I've fought throughout the pregnancy, and this past week I've caved and had two sodas. I'm definately NOT going to be drinking any more soda or caffeine, because I seriously have suspicions that it could be the culprit, or at least compounding the restlessness Emma has had these past few nights.

I will be looking for the Hylands gas tabs now. Thanks for that suggestion!

Chris, I think its great that you see a Homeopath. Unfortunately, here in the state of Tennessee, homeopath's are not allowed to practice (from what I understand) and other alternative practicioners are few and far between. I honestly hate that I have to take my daughter to an old school closed-minded Pediatrician...but it seems like thats all thats nearby.

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #22
*Chris~tian Mom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseemom
Thank you everyone, so much, for all the words of wisdom. I can't believe how many things happen everyday that bring a thousand questions to mind. I think I am more worrysome now than during the pregnancy!
I will definately be thinking my diet through more carefully. After reading through all the replies here, and speaking with someone from LLL,

Good for you for calling! : D
I now realize how much of what I eat goes into baby. I guess I just didn't do enough reading about breastfeeding while pregnant...thus I am constantly learning something new that I PROBABLY should have known to begin with.

(((((HUGS!))))) Want to know a mama secret??? We get to learn something new every day and we DO NOT have to be perfect!!! : DI have a terrible caffeine addiction that I've fought throughout the pregnancy, and this past week I've caved and had two sodas. I'm definately NOT going to be drinking any more soda or caffeine, because I seriously have suspicions that it could be the culprit, or at least compounding the restlessness Emma has had these past few nights.

GULP! GUILTY! I had the hardest time giving up Coke and coffee!!! I was ok during my pg, but after the delivery I fell off the wagon. LOL What helped me was knowing that if I choose to drink that Coke with lunch I would be paying for it that night. And *me payng for it wasn't waht bothered me. It was knowing that *he would be hrurting and that it would be my fault.
I will be looking for the Hylands gas tabs now. Thanks for that suggestion!

Chris, I think its great that you see a Homeopath. Unfortunately, here in the state of Tennessee, homeopath's are not allowed to practice (from what I understand)
A-Hem... In my state, they are not exactly "welcomed" either. BUT, my PED is *also* a certified Homeopath. (I can't recall the proper term ATM.) So really, I get the best of both worlds.
and other alternative practicioners are few and far between.
ICR! It's been like a witch hunt here recently! : ( And I don't take my ped for granted. (Even if there are issues I don't agree on with him! LOL)
I honestly hate that I have to take my daughter to an old school closed-minded Pediatrician...but it seems like thats all thats nearby.
Again, ICR! Until I started becoming more and more crunchy, I had no idea about most of this stuff. It was through networking with other likeminded mamas that I was able to find mine.
I will also share that I have done a lot of research on my own before I found my ped. There are books out there that you can study, as well as classes in some areas and even online. I don't know if that's an option for you. I have been told that I missed my calling on this. IDK, perhaps it just isn't time for me to answer it yet?

In any case, I do wish you the very best of luck with your wee one. My email is always open to you if you need anything!!!
*Chris~tian Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #23
littlehawk
Registered Users

I have had the same disscution with my mother. All I can think about when she says that is why does my milk letdown when my baby cries then? Because a baby needs comforting its been with you for 9 months, three weeks is nothing!!!
You two have been a team for 9 months you know what your baby needs.

Also are you swaddling your dd? Its hard in the summer but my ds loves to be swaddle. He cries as I do it but calms down . I suggest reading The Happiest Baby on the Block, this book was a life saver also The womanly art of Breastfeeding! Also Dr Sears website is very helpful.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:49 PM   #24
Kmama in TX
Registered Users
seller

Absolutely let her pacify herself at the br*ast! All three of mine have done it. With my first two I occasionally tried to "switch them off" to a pacifier once they had spent a few minutes using me so I could lay them down, but neither of them would do it much. With my 4 month old, I've just rolled with it (she wouldn't take a pacifier anyway! ). It's good for her to feel secure and comfort herself with me rather than a piece of rubber or silicone! I can say that my older two (now 8 & 5) neither still have to nurse to sleep or for comfort, LOL! Seriously, it was not an issue as they got older at all. They neither one had any problem soothing themselves in early childhood. A three week old isn't forming any habits. Go with your mommy instincts! I'm sure I'm repeating what's already been said, but wanted to add my .
Kmama in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #25
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aidan is about 3 wks old and he does the same thing. I figure if it comforts him, then I should let him nurse.That is my job as mommy..lol. Good Luck!!!