Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

what exactly does a 12 month old eat and weaning ?'s

I am wanting to starting the weaning process(or get from 8 bf sessions down to 2) when dd is 12 months. Do i just cut one nursing session a week?
So, what exactly does a 12 month old eat in a 24 hour period? Do they sleep through the night? DD still nurses 2-3 times at night and she will be 11 months on the 26th of this month.

Advertisement

Last edited by betty_joanne; 08-12-2006 at 01:47 PM.
betty_joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
davejenbarnes
Registered Users

Re: what exactly does a 12 month old eat and weaning ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty_joanne
I am wanting to starting the weaning process(or get from 8 bf sessions down to 2) when dd is 12 months. Do i just cut one nursing session a week?
So, what exactly does a 12 month old eat in a 24 hour period? Do they sleep through the night? DD still nurses 2-3 times at night and she will be 11 months on the 26th of this month.
Wow. Um. They're all different.

I have been in the process of weaning my son for about 2 weeks now due to the pain of pregnant nursing (really, he's a pig, too, so with all the food he's eating I feel comfortable letting nursing take a back seat) and I've been dropping 1 nursing per week... with some flexibility. Like the other day he just about undressed me so I nursed him an extra time.

So, what exactly does a 12 month old eat in a 24 hour period?
Depends on the kid. Depends on the family. Depends on a lot of factors. We were feeding my son jarred food still because I was so nauseated that I couldn't stand making his food (which I did before I got pregnant) but it turned him orange with all the carrots... Now he eats whatever we're eating and we're trying a heck of a lot harder to eat healthier, balanced, meals. But a lot depends on the kid, too. I happen to have a porker so he eats a ton, but we know some birdlike eaters (12 mo. olds) who are so picky and only peck at their food.

Do they sleep through the night? Some do. Mine has been sleeping through the night for about 6 months, but I know that's not the norm. I just got very very very lucky. My next one probably won't sleep through the night at 12 months. At least, I'm not expecting it. Again, depends on the kid.

DD still nurses 2-3 times at night and she will be 11 months on the 26th of this month. In my realm of friends, you and DD would be perfectly normal.

The thing about all this is you kinda gotta just test the waters as you go. It's tough figuring it all out but just stick to your guns. Consult the pediatrician, but really, you're the mama, you know best.
davejenbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I pretty much agree w/ everything PP said.

I will add that my Dd is 13 mo she eats like a pig too. She even knows where the cereal boxes are and brings them too me or just helps herself. I can't keep her out of the food. You would think she would be rotondo the way she eats, but she only weighs 22 lbs. Anyway, other than her snacking habits she has 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. We would do a bedtime snack too but we generally eat dinner close to bedtime that I don't do a snack then (she goes to bed at 8 and we have dinner some where between 6-7). She eats lots of finger foods, dry cereal (cherrios, kix, life) fruit, veggies, cut up meat, cheese, crackers. Pretty much anything the rest of us eat, just smaller bites. I know not all kids are ready for finger foods at this age, but she has been eating finger foods since she was about 8 mo.

I am not sure why you want to cut back your nursing, but you should be able to substitute a feeding w/ a 1/2 cup of milk, juice or water along w/ a healthy snack. By 11-12 mo your baby should beable to start switching over to whole milk if there is no reason to avoid dairy so you can offer that. I would offer it in a cup/sippy vs a bottle, just so you don't have to break that habit too, JMO.

As for night time feedings, are you sure your baby is nursing, or has it become more of a comfort time. Just wondering, if he is used to it for comfort then you may just have to find another way to give him comfort w/o nursing everytime. I wouldn't cut him off completely at night, start off trying to put off the first nighttime nursing session. I have also heard to try to offer a bottle of water instead of nursing, to see if they really want to eat or just be pacified. Make sense. HTh sorry for the long response.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesmom23girls
I pretty much agree w/ everything PP said.

I will add that my Dd is 13 mo she eats like a pig too. She even knows where the cereal boxes are and brings them too me or just helps herself. I can't keep her out of the food. You would think she would be rotondo the way she eats, but she only weighs 22 lbs. Anyway, other than her snacking habits she has 3 meals and 2 snacks a day. We would do a bedtime snack too but we generally eat dinner close to bedtime that I don't do a snack then (she goes to bed at 8 and we have dinner some where between 6-7). She eats lots of finger foods, dry cereal (cherrios, kix, life) fruit, veggies, cut up meat, cheese, crackers. Pretty much anything the rest of us eat, just smaller bites. I know not all kids are ready for finger foods at this age, but she has been eating finger foods since she was about 8 mo.

I am not sure why you want to cut back your nursing, but you should be able to substitute a feeding w/ a 1/2 cup of milk, juice or water along w/ a healthy snack. By 11-12 mo your baby should beable to start switching over to whole milk if there is no reason to avoid dairy so you can offer that. I would offer it in a cup/sippy vs a bottle, just so you don't have to break that habit too, JMO.

As for night time feedings, are you sure your baby is nursing, or has it become more of a comfort time. Just wondering, if he is used to it for comfort then you may just have to find another way to give him comfort w/o nursing everytime. I wouldn't cut him off completely at night, start off trying to put off the first nighttime nursing session. I have also heard to try to offer a bottle of water instead of nursing, to see if they really want to eat or just be pacified. Make sense. HTh sorry for the long response.
I am wanting to wean her so we can get pregnant again.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

Both of my daughters were eating whatever we ate at that stage. We didn't go much for jarred baby food and when they did have it they didn't like it!

Some favorites: cereal, fruit (cut in bite size pieces) scrambled eggs, cheese, cottage cheese, pasta (cut up), shredded chicken, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.

I would definitely try going to a sippy cup rather than a bottle. It is much easier to get them on a cup then that trying to get them off a bottle at the age of 2 or 3!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Hello there,
All I can offer is my experience with my son. And I don't have much experience with weaning yet! Although we have been taking out nursing sessions here and there.
Riley nurses about 4-5 times a day usually, which includes the one time he gets up in the night. He usually sleeps through the night now, which means he goes down at about 8 and then sleeps until 4 and then nurses and then back down until 7 or so on a good day. Sometimes he's up more than that, but it depends on how much rest he gets during the day. He usually sleeps better if he's had two good naps during the day.
Otherwise, he's nursing before I go to work in the morning, then again as soon as I pick him up around noon. He eats breakfast (toast, fruit, waffle, pancakes) for breakfast, he eats lunch (vienna sausage, multiple types of veggies, breads, whatever) both at the baby sitter or with grama in the mornings.
He naps and either nurses or gets a snack (animal crackers or whatever) and then dinner (tonight we had mashed potato, green beans, steak, vienna sausage, nectarines) and nursed down for bed.
He also gets expressed BM while I'm gone in the morning in a spill proof straw cup. He won't take a sippy really well or a bottle.
We're also TTC so good luck with that. I've heard that cutting out the night nursings really helps bring back your fertility.
HTH!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
J3nn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 12 months Alex was eating a bit of whatever we had, as well as some jarred food. He nursed 1-2 a day always before bed and sometimes when he woke in the morning. He slept through the night from around 9 months. I always nursed on demand and let him set the pace and # of feedings.
J3nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:21 AM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have gotten pg 6 times WHILE nursing. 2 times I m/c'd. I am nursing around 8x/day right now and am finishing my first trimester.

Each of my 4 kids ate vastly different things and amounts at 12 months. One ate 4-5 cups of solid foods and 6 sippy's a day at that age, another ate NO solids at all and the other 2 were in between.

the book Mothering Your Nursing Yoddler has great gentle weaning advice
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

First - You CAN get PG while breastfeeding. You do NOT have to wean. YOu can safety and healthily BF while PG, and even tandem nurse once the new baby arrives. My fertility came back at 3.5 months PP but I have been nursing DS for the last 14m!
I suggest you start charting (temp, mucus, AND cervial position) - that will help you get PG more than weaning will.

That said - All babes are different. Some take to solids "early" and some take to them "late" - according to mainstream standards of course. But it is right on time for them.

If you work or are outside the house for a good chunk of time - expect that your baby will nurse more at night and thru the night. Baby is trying to "make up" that time with you that they are missing during the day.
Also you can expect that older babes and toddlers will nurse more at night - they are so active during the day they often are too busy to stop and nurse. So they make up for it and get "caught up" at night. Once Ds was running around (about 12m old actually) *HE* cut out some of his daytime nursing sessions/bottles of EBM if I wasn't around - but he did begin nursing more at night (1-2 more sessions at night depending on the day).

At 14 months, my son nurses 2-3 times at night (from 11pm to 6/7am) - we cosleep so it isn't an issue for me - He nuzzles close, rooting around (foten still half asleep), I get him latched on, and we both fall asleep, he finishes nursing, unlatches himself, and rolls over. Neither of us loose sleep, and he still gets that nursing time he needs. On days when I am working longer than usual - he will be up more at night and be more snuggly instead of drifitng back to sleep right away. And when he is teething, he comfort nurses alot - but also his solid intake decreases so he needs the additional calories.

As far as food - he eats like a pig and loves solid foods. He eats 5-6 small meals/snacks throughout the day. Now he usually eats what we are eating for dinner, and whatever I have if he is having breakfast with me. But that is only the last month or so....Not at 12 months old. He also takes bottle of EBM from daddy when I am not around (for naps only - his decision) or drinks from a cup or sippy throught the day, especially with meals. He mainly nurses or takes a bottle for naps, to go to sleep at night, and then durign the night - or if he is really upset, hurt, etc. He has been weaning himself since he started crawling....

*IF* you want to continue to nurse past the 12m mark - you can do it and still get PG. I don't want you to feel like I am pressuring you to continue nursing, but I do want you to know that you don't have to stop nursing to get PG - despite what many OBs will tell you. *GRRRRR*
Check out www.mothering.com or www.ovusoft.com for some great info on fertility and fertility while BFing. Mothering also has some great advice for gentle weaning if that is what you decide to do. GL!
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
honeybee
Registered Users

Well, ds1 barely ate any solids at 1 year, and was still primarily bf. He was also still nursing 2-3 times a night. It's different for every baby. Follow your baby's cues, and you can't go wrong.

I really can't help you on the weaning part. I never did figure that one out, as I am now tandem nursing!

But if it helps any, on his own accord, ds1 did eventually learn to sleep all night in his own bed without nursing (well, at least until recently when the bad dreams started). If it's the night time that's getting to you, Dr. Sears and Dr. Jack Newman both have some gentler night weaning suggestions. You could also check out The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley.

As for ttc, I'd also encourage you to learn to chart all your fertility signs. It took 1 1/2 years to get pg with ds1. The next time around, I learned to chart and got pg during my first "practice" month, lol! I was still nursing ds1 throughout the day and occasionally at night. Check out the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility."

Last edited by honeybee; 08-22-2006 at 02:32 PM.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote