Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Tell me about homebirth...

Well it looks like we are meeting with a midwife next thursday about doing a homebirth. It was DHs ideal he is such a great guy. I want to hear that I shouldnt worry and to know how do things like meals work after you deliver (I mean in a hospital they feed you) so would I need to make sure foods I want are in the house? How did you deal with family who you knew would be anti supportive? What all will I need to get? Midwife services will be about 4,500 and I will be able to have the water birth I have always wanted Tell me the best parts of your labor at home. Did you ever want an epidural even though you were at home or was the pain really that much more manageable?
I am really excited and really nervous.

Advertisement

ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
slockwood
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about homebirth...

Yay for hb's!!! I have had 1 baby at home and one is supposed to be on the way. Having her at home too if she ever comes out!

4,500? Wow that is pricey. Have you looked around? I haven't heard of one costing that much. Maybe thats just me though.

As far as the food, family/friends bring it, dh makes it or I do. Depends.

Most pple I know think I am nuts for having a hb but I explain to them that is safer to have a baby at home than in a hosp, that the c-section rate in a hospital is 1 in 3, stuff like that. Other than that I just ignore them. No one's business but mine.

I never wanted a epidural, never had one before but never wanted one. I had a 48 hr labor too. It was a pretty easy labor. I cry when I get a paper cut but I was fine with the labor. Weird.

I loved having her at home because I coudl do whatever I wanted, it was my house my rules. She was born into her home not a stinky hospital. And I could have visitors whenever I wanted, or kick them out if I didnt' want them. It was great. I like control.

Sorry this was kinda rambly but I am supposed to be working and I am not. Again. But I had to chime in on the HB. I loved my hb and I am and would do it again.

Oh, and had I had her in the hospital it would have DEFINITELY been a csection. So more reason for hb's!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slockwood View Post
Yay for hb's!!! I have had 1 baby at home and one is supposed to be on the way. Having her at home too if she ever comes out!

4,500? Wow that is pricey. Have you looked around? I haven't heard of one costing that much. Maybe thats just me though.

As far as the food, family/friends bring it, dh makes it or I do. Depends.

Most pple I know think I am nuts for having a hb but I explain to them that is safer to have a baby at home than in a hosp, that the c-section rate in a hospital is 1 in 3, stuff like that. Other than that I just ignore them. No one's business but mine.

I never wanted a epidural, never had one before but never wanted one. I had a 48 hr labor too. It was a pretty easy labor. I cry when I get a paper cut but I was fine with the labor. Weird.

I loved having her at home because I coudl do whatever I wanted, it was my house my rules. She was born into her home not a stinky hospital. And I could have visitors whenever I wanted, or kick them out if I didnt' want them. It was great. I like control.

Sorry this was kinda rambly but I am supposed to be working and I am not. Again. But I had to chime in on the HB. I loved my hb and I am and would do it again.

Oh, and had I had her in the hospital it would have DEFINITELY been a csection. So more reason for hb's!

Sounds great. WOW 48 hours I could not inagine being able to do that I think I would be asking for someone to shoot me or take me to the hospital and cut the baby out (well Id be thinking it at least) Your did great I can handle labor up until my sciatic starts but I think having a HB I wont have that problem because I will be able to move and not be strapped down and poked and prodded which is what has always bugged me about hospitals.

I know all our friends and family are going to react bad very bad I dont really want to even tell them to be honest

I understand the cost being higher than other areas we are in the bay area of CA and everything is crazy priced here. Dh is fine with the cost and so am I. This area is just expensive.
ISO GMS & Wool:
Old 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
kalynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's wonderful!

I kept frozen things stocked in my freezer. (Not our healthiest week) We had frozen lasagna/ frozen garlic bread/ frozen broccoli one night, pizza & salad the next, Frozen pasta/veggies/chicken meals in a bag......all stuff DH could do w/out a lot of trouble b/c he was taking care of DD. And a friend brought dinner one night.

$4500 does sound pricey but I know everything is so expensive in California. Your MW will have you order a birth kit from a supplier. If they offer it ask for a herb bath also. They are great to soak in w/ the baby and help the whole "area" feel better/recover. They give you the herbs loose and you put them in pantyhose (like a giant teabag). My MW appt. were an hour so I really got my money's worth and felt close to them when baby came. Don't feel bad about interviewing several and asking for references. Watching their taped "catches" also help give you a feel for their style and personalities.

I would not worry. Satistically, "planned" HBs are safer than hospital births. Often the medical establishment tries to skew the facts and throw in unplanned/emergency births in their numbers. If you have not read A Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth It is good and will give you some facts for the family. I also saw a new book has come out called Pushedby Jennifer Block. Looks very interesting and may provide you w/ more when you talk to family. Check amazon for these.

Our parents were not on board...and w/ our second preg. we told them very little and called them when it was over. My MIL who only lives about 4 miles away was not pleased w/ this! She asumed she would be called when labor started. She was so mad she saw him a total of 45 minutes that 1st week and never cooked for us! (lives 10 min away)! Our parents know once we have made up our minds.... We finally told them it was not up for discusion and that was the end of that.

I never wanted the epid. Even in my 1st labor over 20 hrs I knew I was better off and so comfy at home. I move all through labor and would not put up w/ their rules/demands. We were also not willing to give up our rights.

Since you do have another LO have a friend or family member you are close to help w/ child. Do not use someone who will convey negative feeling/anxiety/stress during labor. My best friend came (not MIL-also reason she was upset) to care for DD. They made baby a B'day cake and a card while I labored. She came in to "check" (has a Dr. kit but calls it a MW kit) on me often and loved watching the baby "pop out" as she put it. DD was 35 mo and had watched some of my MW's library of birth tapes (maybe 30). She was ready. Talk about the funny noises mommy makes when she pushes baby out. If the pool is not messy, after birth MW will probably let sib. into the pool also.

There was no rushing...just calmness and peace! I can't wait to have another

Sorry I could go on and on about homebirth all day. HTH! God bless!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:55 AM   #5
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

We are in South Florida and I am paying $4500 for a homebirth. Insurance here is expensive (this is a sue happy state!) This includes all my labs etc. I paid $180 for my ultrasound.

We had a homebirth with the last baby.....DH praises it over and over!! I tell him that is because I woke him up 45 min before she was born I am glad she came so quickly because my MW would have wanted to transfer me because I had meconium in the fluid. My MW was here for about 5 min before she was born. It was so nice to be home, my DD's slept through it all. I didn't even call the babysitter that was planning on coming to stay with them because it happened so fast. My mom flew down that afternoon and stayed for 1 1/2 weeks-she cooked, cleaned, did the laundry, put some meals in the freezer, etc. Our church sent meals for 3 days after she left.

One of my new MW clients had a homebirth, she didn't tell her family she was having a homebirth until it was over with. They are older though and have several kids.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
jadedhkr
Registered Users
seller

I had one with my last baby and am planning one this time.

My dh cooked for me the first couple days, then I took over. I had a ton of energy that time though.

I never even thought about an epi, and I had one with my others in the hosp. Labor was only 3 hours, most of the time I sat on the couch sort of rocking and joking with my dh and sil(she wanted to see a homebirth). Laughter really helps through the contractions The last 45 min, I labored in the birth tub. The water really does act like an epi and the weightless feeling helped with the pushing. She came really fast, no tearing. I couldn't ask for a better experience. I'm really hoping for a repeat, but every baby is different. lol
Venus Vanguard
jadedhkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Were any of you nervous about doing a homebirth the first time? Thank you soo very much for sharing. I dont know why I am so worried about what could go wrong yet excited at the same time. I am afraid I wont be able to do it isnt that silly.
ISO GMS & Wool:
Old 01-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
ShadesofRae
Registered Users
Formerly: 3mamasboys
seller

I had epidurals with my first two, and when I was planning my homebirth I kept telling the midwife, "If I tell you I need the epidural you'd better transfer me IMMEDIATELY!" LOL

Now when I think back on it, that was such a silly thing to say. I didn't think of pain meds one single time during my homebirth.
ShadesofRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

I have never had a homebirth as my pregnancies have all been VERY medically micromanaged. We have recently decided though that a homebirth is what we want. We would have liked a birth center birth, but the laws here forbid a woman who has had a former c/section {no matter how many vbacs you have had} to birth in a birth center.

I am interested in hearing about all the experiences of homebirths as well. We have no family or anyone we know who lives close by, so I am wondering about toddlers, etc too. I think having meals already prepared in the freezer would be good or having the supplies to make spagetti or easy meals handy so that your DH can make them. He could even get 'to go' meals for a day if needed.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
mhaddon
Registered Users
seller

I'm so excited for you! I am planning my first HB as well. I also don't know what to do. We told my mom and she was just like, ok whatever. We haven't told anyone else and we aren't sure when/how we are going to tell DH's family. They are worry worts

My MW charges $3,600 and that covers everything. All the supplies, labs, birthing tub, etc. She stays and fixes us a meal, will make my placenta pills , washes everything, and is around for support. She comes back after the first 48 hours b/c she is also a lactation consultant. She said many MW's come back earlier, but she said most bfing problems occur around 48 hours so she wants to be around then to check. It includes pp care and newborn care. All in all she does a lot.

I have blue cross blue shield and they are covering all of it but our deductable portion. I was so excited. When I called they told me no, but she goes through a billing service and they were able to talk to them better than me I guess...

Meals, my family takes turns preparing dinner for a week so that should help out. MIL usually stays with me (DH will go back to work) and she either fixes something or goes to town to get me something. My past 2 have been c/s and it's always takne me a while to eat afterwards so we will see how it is after a natural birth

I was also told the the birthing pool acts as a pain reliever/epideral b/c it lifts the uterus

Good luck and it will be fun to see which one of us will go first
mhaddon is offline   Reply With Quote