Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #11
lelaflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me about homebirth...

Having a homebirth was the best choice i made. I had so many people questioning me, but they all praised me when it was over. It is so much more comforting to be in your home during and after the birth. People can come and go with no awkwardness. I did a waterbirth and will do it again. There will always be questions and hesitations, but when you experience it for yourself, it will all go away. The choice you made for a reason... it will be wonderful!!!

Advertisement

lelaflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #12
meadowsong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaflower View Post
Having a homebirth was the best choice i made. I had so many people questioning me, but they all praised me when it was over. It is so much more comforting to be in your home during and after the birth. People can come and go with no awkwardness. I did a waterbirth and will do it again. There will always be questions and hesitations, but when you experience it for yourself, it will all go away. The choice you made for a reason... it will be wonderful!!!

DITTO!! I agree w/ everything you said. I had 3 previous hospital births that were very medical and having a home birth that was 100% natural was the best thing ever. My only advice is to read read read, it saved me and help question the fears I had.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

where in the bay area are you? my friend delivered in a "birth home" its a home/birth center kinda deal. she lives in San Jose
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanonlyimagine View Post
where in the bay area are you? my friend delivered in a "birth home" its a home/birth center kinda deal. she lives in San Jose
I live in Santa Clara right next door to San Jose. The only birthing centers I could find were in San Francisco and I so didnt want to drive an hour in labor. Plus in the state of CA you can only be in labor at a birthing facility for so long before you have to go to a hospital or something crazy like that so most wont let you in till you are farther into labor and that drive would be killer like that. At least that is what I have read and found. If you know of a birthing center closer Id love to hear about it. Thank You
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #15
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaddon View Post
I'm so excited for you! I am planning my first HB as well. I also don't know what to do. We told my mom and she was just like, ok whatever. We haven't told anyone else and we aren't sure when/how we are going to tell DH's family. They are worry worts

My MW charges $3,600 and that covers everything. All the supplies, labs, birthing tub, etc. She stays and fixes us a meal, will make my placenta pills , washes everything, and is around for support. She comes back after the first 48 hours b/c she is also a lactation consultant. She said many MW's come back earlier, but she said most bfing problems occur around 48 hours so she wants to be around then to check. It includes pp care and newborn care. All in all she does a lot.

I have blue cross blue shield and they are covering all of it but our deductable portion. I was so excited. When I called they told me no, but she goes through a billing service and they were able to talk to them better than me I guess...

Meals, my family takes turns preparing dinner for a week so that should help out. MIL usually stays with me (DH will go back to work) and she either fixes something or goes to town to get me something. My past 2 have been c/s and it's always takne me a while to eat afterwards so we will see how it is after a natural birth

I was also told the the birthing pool acts as a pain reliever/epideral b/c it lifts the uterus

Good luck and it will be fun to see which one of us will go first
Hopefully you will go first and I will be late for a change My family wont cook meals for us not many could with all the allergies we have in the house. Dh's idea of cooking is eggs, spagetti or eating out So we will I guess end up eating out alot that first week. Well mabey I can freeze some meals that will be easy for him to reheat. Im not sure what we are going to do about the kiddos while Im in labor I dont want my parents here and well I dont have many female friends and none who would want to help (they are all anti-crunchy types ) I am the wierdo mabey that is why I dont hang out with them much

Mine doesnt cover the labs and such it does cover the tub and her services. The price is just an estimate though we will find out more next thur when we meet with her.

I get to be alittle bit of a complainer after about 5 hours I hope this time I can deal with the pain without whining about wanting drugs and such.

This will be so exciting planing our HBs at the same time and due around the same time it will be very neat to see who goees first
ISO GMS & Wool:
Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #16
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not to Hijack or anything but is Homebirth possible with GBS ??
Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #17
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post
Not to Hijack or anything but is Homebirth possible with GBS ??
I am not 100 % sure but I dont think it is because you have to have an IV. I could be wrong but I believe I read that somewhere Sry
ISO GMS & Wool:
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #18
mommy2kb
Registered Users

I've never tested positive for GBS nor have I had a HB *BUT* I do think it is possible to treat GBS with oral antibiotics before hand since GBS really comes and goes.

A MW would certainly know more.

get thee down, be thou funky
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
Amberjoe_1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, Shyla and mhaddon, I'm right there with you. Planning my first Homebirth as well! So when is your due date Shyla? Mine is the 16th. So I guess we'll all be in a race for this one! LOL I'm actually having my first interview with a mw monday..I'm excited about it too! My family will probably be up right around the time we have the baby..last time I called them when we went to the hospital (it's an 8 hour drive for them) they made it right after we had him. I'm hoping it'll work out like that this time..but I won't have pitocin to speed it up (and make the pain worse). So anyway they will be here and will probably cook for us. I must say though..I'll probably have someone get me a steak dinner or something after I had the baby! LOL I deserve it right?!
Anyway, I don't want anyone else here, and I imagine if it seems like I may need to have MIL watch DS then I'll call her and have her pick him up. If it's in the middle of the night or something I'll just let him sleep and hopefully I won't be screaming or anything. LOL I think DH probably thinks that's what it'll be like. Silly men. hehe
I think we lucked out..our MW if $1500. There is another one I may interview, she charges $2,000..but your right I think it's totally about location. Right now I've been seeing my doc I had with my first birth..I plan on seeing her up until after the ultrasound. Might as well make insurance pay for something ya know?! However, I have heard the insurance will pay if you stay on them..or if you midwife knows how to do the billing code. A friend of mine ..her midwife just put in a billing code for prenatal care for her fee..so technically the prenatal care was what costed so much and the birth was free. LOL Way to outsmart them insurance peeps. I have heard too that insurance doesn't even know how to put in the code for having a baby at home! So that's probably part of the trouble there...at any rate it'll probably be worth writing letters to the insurance after having the baby and trying to get them to pay something. Check out mothering.com about this..there's a homebirth section and there's been quite a few topics on it. I think it'll still be worth every penny..even if we don't get reimbursed! (it would be nice though!)

See what's new @ Monster Fluff Studio's Blog
Amberjoe_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
SummertimeGal
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats! I have had 2 homebirths and I can't imagine it any other way. Don't worry. Do your research, read homebirth stories, believe in yourself. You can do it.

Food - Yes your house should be stocked. I was lucky enough to have a meal train set up for me and all my friends brought us a meal every other day for the first month so we wouldn't have to cook. It was huge. If something like that is not possible, spend the last few weeks stocking up your freezer.

Family - Tell them you have done your research and are confident that this is the best thing for you and your baby. Tell them you don't want to hear horror stories.

Supplies - it depends where in your house you think you will be laboring. The more moving around you think you'll be doing, the more you'll need. For sure you will need a tarp or a few vinyl shower curtains, a few sets of sheets, and a few towels. Your midwife will have a list for you and everything is checked over at the 36 week home visit.

Best parts - for me it was laboring in my most comfortable surroundings, with only the people I wanted there. Everyone that was there believed in me and brought me strength. I got to move around as much as I wanted and labor/birth in whatever position I wanted. I was free to make as much noise as I needed. I was free to retreat from everything. With my son's birth, my daughter was there and she met him within 5 minutes of his birth. My son came out and immediately I brought him to my chest. He was never ever taken away from me.

I have only had homebirths so I can't compare my experiences to anything else. With my daughter's birth, there was a point when I felt I couldn't do it anymore. She was born in less than an hour from that point. In retrospect I know it was just transition talking. With my son's birth, I knew that when I got to that breaking point I would almost be done. I think knowing that never made me have a breaking point. My first 2 hours of contractions with him were so fun and surreal that I didn't believe I was in labor. The second 2 hurt but I always stayed on top of it. I was already pushing when my midwife got there and he was born 10 minutes later.

Last edited by SummertimeGal; 01-11-2008 at 11:43 PM.
SummertimeGal is offline   Reply With Quote