Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
NC mamas! I'm moving to Raleigh! HELP!

Hi mamas! So, DH and I were both born and raised in NC (me: Greensboro, him: Mebane). We've lived in Oregon for the past 11 years, and we are moving back! YEAH! We've loved Oregon, we just want to be close to family again.

Anywhoo....he'll be working for a company located around 540/70 (Glenwood Ave). We hope to make a trip soon to start house hunting and searching for schools. We'll be moving at the end of December/early January. But, I'm confused with Wake County schools and how to even enroll or find a school, as it seems you have a "choice" based on your address. Well, we don't have an address and we may be staying with my in-laws temporarily, but that might last a few weeks. But, I don't want them to start a school near them in Mebane and then have to transfer again a few weeks later.

I think we might be looking in the Cary or Morrisville area, but we don't know for sure. We'll be working with a realtor from his company so I know they can help us, but I'd like to pick the schools first, and then search for a house around that.

So, if anybody knows of any links to any moms groups or just info for relocating to that area, I would greatly appreciate it. By the way, they are kindergarten and 2nd grade right now.

We are really excited but I just want to have the kids school stuff organized and set so they don't miss too many days, if any.

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
CCorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: NC mamas! I'm moving to Raleigh! HELP!

Well, I hate to tell you but even if you find a school you like then look in the area you probably won't get that school. The plan on which school you attained is now up in the air. They just fired the superintendent and are now doing away with the choice plan it seems. Wake County schools are just a big freaking mess when it comes to getting into the school you want. I've been reading on Trianglemommies.com that they are going back to how they used to do school zoning but I really don't know what that all means and I don't think the school board knows either.

That being said there are magnet schools that you can apply too. By the way, I live in Johnston county (but used to work for Wake County Schools) so I wouldn't be to far from you!
Old 10-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks so much! I'm glad you posted the trianglemommies thing. I knew there was a group but couldn't find the name. Yeah I've been frustrated with how little info I can get about the schools. Our current school in Oregon is fantastic. I'm going to miss it. Plus we are 2 streets over so my kids ride their bikes together. I love not having to get out in the cold and rain with the baby or deal with long drop off lines. I don't think I'll have that luxury when we move. Is it possible to get into a magnet school mid-year?