Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #11
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: "meanest mom sells car"

Good on her. Hopefully, it's a life lesson.

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #12
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
But then again .. at 19 .. a man should be out the house and buy his own dang car.
:ITA: Maybe this will help him get OUT of the house to start his own dern life.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by er517 View Post
Really???

I'd rather have my kid mad at me for a loooooong time, than to have them have to live w/ the fact that they killed another human being due to driving under the influence. Alcohol is a big problem w/ both my family and DH's, so maybe I'm just a bit more strict w/ things associated w/ it.
If I found out my child were driving under the influence there would be major consequences, and in that case I don't think something like this would be THAT overboard, though I still wouldn't choose to share my child's mistake with the whole world. That said, this kid wasn't driving under the influence, she it said in the article that he said it wasn't his alcohol and she believed him.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Normally I think these things are over the top, but this time no...this was a good one. If I found evidence that my kid had booze in the car that I bought for him? The car would be GONE. If they can't at least be responsible enough not to drink in the car, they don't deserve to have it.

Driving is a privilege NOT a right...as is owning a car.

Better your mama catch you with booze in the car than a police officer.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbehaven007 View Post
WOW.. talk about overboard. I would take the car away for a bit.. but selling it? I dont think I would . But then again .. at 19 .. a man should be out the house and buy his own dang car.
I agree about being a man at that point.. but she bought the car. It was technically hers. I'm not a person that would give a gift and then take it back later... but when it comes to vehicles and animals, if I give one as a gift to someone and see them abusing the privilege of having one... you can bet your bippy I'd snatch it back.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #16
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooey View Post
If I found out my child were driving under the influence there would be major consequences, and in that case I don't think something like this would be THAT overboard, though I still wouldn't choose to share my child's mistake with the whole world. That said, this kid wasn't driving under the influence, she it said in the article that he said it wasn't his alcohol and she believed him.
I wouldn't have written the ad the way she did...I think THAT was overboard and a bit obnoxious.

Having booze in the car is an offense here, if the bottle or container is open. I wouldn't want my kid having ANY liquor in his car, and would definitely take the car away from him until he could prove to me that he'd grown up a bit.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #17
Coriannder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for her!
Coriannder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I said the same thing about the cigarettes my parents found when I was 17. Ended up smoking for 10 years.

Not that that really means much in parenting issues because it's strictly a matter of trust... but sometimes public humility works wonders in straightening a kid out. How many of us stole something when we were kids only to be marched back to the store and our mother announced loudly to the store manager "My child stole this from your store and has something to say to you." while she spits the word "Stole" like it's coming from the devil himself? And how many people that this happened to bothered to steal again? (not including those people that just learned how to not get caught, kwim?)
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #19
er517
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
That said, this kid wasn't driving under the influence, she it said in the article that he said it wasn't his alcohol and she believed him.
Yeah, I know...but who knows what would transpire if he'd gotten away w/ the open container. Sucks if he got in trouble due to one of his friends' actions, but the rule was NO BOOZE in the car. Whose alcohol it was doesn't matter to me.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife View Post
I said the same thing about the cigarettes my parents found when I was 17. Ended up smoking for 10 years.

Not that that really means much in parenting issues because it's strictly a matter of trust... but sometimes public humility works wonders in straightening a kid out. How many of us stole something when we were kids only to be marched back to the store and our mother announced loudly to the store manager "My child stole this from your store and has something to say to you." while she spits the word "Stole" like it's coming from the devil himself? And how many people that this happened to bothered to steal again? (not including those people that just learned how to not get caught, kwim?)
Teaching a little child not to steal is a lot different in my book than publicly humiliating your grown child simply because he broke your rules. That there is what I call a power trip. It almost seems like she is toying with him, trying to prove that he is still a child and she can still punish him. True he is a 19 year old living at home and therefore he should respect and follow his parents rules, but seriously by that age the mom should be able to talk and reason things out with her son, not have to resort to public humiliation to prove a point.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote