Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
ajprosek
Registered Users

Question Swaddle Escape Artist

Our now 3 month old DD had been getting out of her swaddle at night and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for us. She won't fall asleep unless she is tightly swaddled, the nights she hasn't been she is up every hour. Anyone have any tips, either getting her to sleep without it and staying there or something else?? We have tried bigger blankets and different types of fabric, so far she is just getting good at getting out.

Advertisement

ajprosek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Swaddle Escape Artist

Oh, I'm so sorry. I remember this time. We used the miracle blanket, but it's so expensive that I'm afraid your lo will have already outgrown it. DH and I for our first, (before we knew about miracle blanket) used larger flanel (nonstretchy) blankets. These worked the best - but not well. They would get her asleep, but she'd wriggle out of them. We swaddled her for 9 months. you could just google miracle blanket to see if it interests you. good luck and hope you get some sleep!

Oh you could just try (I know this sounds like abuse, but just work with us) holding her hands down at her sides (gently). This helps. With our little ones, the hand flailing was what woke them up, so we would just hold their hands down until they fell asleep. that worked.
an 8 year old ,(VBAC), and a 4 year old (VBAC #2)
Why on earth is this laundry lady smiling?
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
ajk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had to stop swaddling DD at 3 months for the same reason...it took her about 3 or 4 long sleepless nights to get used to being in a grobag but she did learn to fall asleep without the swaddling as I'm sure you LO will. Hang in there . I don't know which method you use for swaddling but we used the one from the "happiest baby on the block" video and it seemed to hold her in better than any other method.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
brigadoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

man, my DD was escaping her swaddle at 2 weeks! i had to start swaddling her with 2 light blankets. one to get her arms down and the other to KEEP them down so she wouldn't wiggle free. we use two blankets that are about as thick as sheets, so she doesn't get too hot.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

maybe try a sleep sack or buy a swaddleme blanket
Old 01-10-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
jpabruzzese
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definately look into the miracle blanket or kiddpotamus makes a swaddle blanklet in a small or large size. We still have swaddle our dd who is seven months old at least half the time.
jpabruzzese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to second the Swaddleme by Kiddopatamus. They come in small and large. We swaddled dd for 4.5 months in a swaddleme until she started breaking out (she kicked out, though). Then we just swaddled her arms with the swaddleme (it velcros ) for awhile and then just started loosly swaddling her and then just started handing her a blanky to cuddle (which is now dragged throughout the house like Linus in Peanuts). I think getting her out of swaddling took about 2 weeks.

If you consider the swaddleme, go for either the flannel or fleece. The jersey ones stretch a LOT and the baby can get out easier. The flannel is the most secure.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #8
ktarsha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was an escape artist as well. Swaddleme worked pretty well for us, but if you don't want to go out and buy something new, there's a video on Mamatoto that shows how to swaddle with a ribbon tied around the blanket. It looks kind of mean, tying baby up, but we did it for a couple of months, and it does work. Here's the link; the video is pretty small (at least on my machine), but you'll get the idea.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We used the miracle blanket and larger ones that my mom made from the miracle blanket. The arm flaps really helped! I liked using something with stretch because I could get it ON tighter, but I suppose that would also allow the baby to squirm out more.... not sure.... When we did stop swaddling (7 mo?), I started by leaving one arm out. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:57 AM   #10
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

The kiddopotamus swaddles are okay. The miracle blankets really work amazingly well. Perhaps your lo is ready to be unswaddled? You can check by keeping one arm out of the swaddle, and if baby's okay with that then try not swaddling.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote