Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #2021
eragsdale's Avatar
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: keller, Texas
Posts: 5,742
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbeana View Post
Michelle, that's so awesome you all get to go out on a date! If you want some really good Mexican food I suggest La Familia. It's in downtown Fort Worth off 7th near the Montgomery Plaza. I have never tasted Mexican food that good and it's very reasonably priced. They use all fresh ingredients which I love. It's the only Mexican place I've ever eaten that didn't taste like it came out of a can.
ohhhh....have you tried La Playa off Hemphill?!!! Soooo yummy That is another option Michelle! http://laplayamaya.com/

Advertisement

__________________
DanielP:04-10-07 ASPERGERS~DouglasG:07-18-08 AUTISTIC~11-12-09
IsaBella:11-03-10 UC (IBD)~12-04-11~02-07-12
ISO-girl/gn: trainers, girls: 4yr/5t fall/winter clothes, boys: 6yr lined wind pants, 8yr sweat pants
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #2022
hullabal98's Avatar
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,897
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

I agree about the Melting Pot. Figure about $30 per person. But it's SO good. Cheesecake Factory is also fantastic, but might be pricey - check the website to see if the menu shows prices. We also like Chuy's and it has a playful atmosphere. We had Saltgrass a few weeks ago and it was $45 for the two of us. Mimi's is yummy, and has like a neighborhood French theme, but not French food. Almost like comfort food gone gourmet. We also like that BJ's over there - the menu is really diverse. Hmmm, I have heard good things about Hoffbrau steaks & prices but we haven't been. If you want to stay around your area (N Arl), I highly highly recommend Pappasitos for Mexican. YUMMMMMMMMMM. Like others have posted, there are more "authentic" places, but for a local spot and a chain, it is so good. Our fave Italian place over there is Piccolo Mondo but it could be out of your price range. I detest Red Lobster so I honestly don't know what the prices are, lol. I love Sushi and Japanese food. There is a new hibachi place here in Mansfield that has gotten RAVE reviews. Sake is what it's called and it is in front of the Super Target at 287/Debbie Ln.

also wanted to add that we like the food at Humperdink's too - over by the ballpark.

hope that helps - post where you decide and how it went! Have a great time!!!!
__________________
Cynthia - proud wife, busy mom of 2 boys and a girl!

Last edited by hullabal98; 04-22-2010 at 07:59 AM.
hullabal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #2023
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Can anyone spare some breast milk?

I did the pumping and bottle feeding yesterday like my pediatrician asked. But at about 9pm, Levi was hungry and was just absolutely refusing the bottle. So I figured I had pumped/bottle fed all day, that it would be ok to give in and nurse.. he was SCREAMING to nurse.

So I nursed over night as well. I emailed my feeding logs to the pediatrician this morning. I got a call back saying that I need to EXCLUSIVELY bottle feed for a FULL 24 hours. But my pumping out put isn't enough. I pump 1-2.5oz, but he eats 3-4oz. So as you can see.. I need AT LEAST 2 pumping sessions per bottle feed.

And I'm a little frustrated too, because I asked how much he should be eating. And I was told to just feed him until he's full, then when I get the info in to them, she'll do some calculations and get back to me.

It just broke my heart last night. I KNOW he was hungry, but he wanted the comfort of nursing. The nurse I spoke with said "If he's really hungry, he'll eat." Well, I disagree, because he nursed for like AN HOUR after that!

ANyway.. thanks for listening. I'm just an emotional wreck right now. My baby may not be eating enough, he screams for the comfort of nursing and I'm supposed to ignore it.

Thanks
God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #2024
Fleece Be With You's Avatar
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,161
Re: DFW mamas

Michelle, I seriously think you need to switch pediatricians, yours is not even CLOSE to breastfeeding friendly If Levi is having wet/dirty diapers he is getting enough milk! Dropping percentiles in the growth chart is NOT enough of a reason to pump and bottlefeed, ESPECIALLY if he's still hungry afterward because he gets less milk that way. IMHO it sounds like they are trying to push you into using formula, whether they say it or not.

In a case like this I would feed my baby whenever he was hungry no matter what. I mean what is the doctor going to do, call CPS on you for feeding your hungry child?!?!
__________________
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #2025
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post
Michelle, I seriously think you need to switch pediatricians, yours is not even CLOSE to breastfeeding friendly If Levi is having wet/dirty diapers he is getting enough milk! Dropping percentiles in the growth chart is NOT enough of a reason to pump and bottlefeed, ESPECIALLY if he's still hungry afterward because he gets less milk that way. IMHO it sounds like they are trying to push you into using formula, whether they say it or not.

In a case like this I would feed my baby whenever he was hungry no matter what. I mean what is the doctor going to do, call CPS on you for feeding your hungry child?!?!
You made me smile.

Deidra is bringing me her scale tomorrow and going to let me rent it for a few days. The only condition is that if she needs it for a consult she'll need to come and get it, which I totally understand. Just the fact that she's willing to let me rent her ONLY scale is really sweet. I think it's because Leta (from LLL) stressed that I am from LLL. Or maybe it's just that she's an awesome person who is passionate about BFing.

Anyway... I sent an email to my pediatrician telling her that I found a scale and that I will no longer be bottle feeding, but will get her accurate BFing intakes this weekend and email them on Monday.

My pediatrician wouldn't try to force me into formula. She truly is trying to make sure my son is eating enough. I've been with her for about 2 years now and is fabulous.

I do think that I will suggest to her that she buys a scale to rent out to parents in the future, when there is a weight issue and she needs to figure out intake. Who knows, maybe she'll accept the idea and do it. Or perhaps I'll give her Deidra's phone number so she can refer people to her in the future.

I have come to learn that most pediatrician's just don't stay up to date on breast feeding "protocol." Noah's pediatrician told me that a tongue tie doesn't affect BFing. Noah's was AS BAD as it gets. So, rather than switch pediatrician's over this.. I'm going to try to politely make some suggestions on how she should handle this sort of situation with future BFing mamas!

However, Levi IS on Amerigroup (medicaid), and my pediatrician doesn't take it. We have my husband's insuranceback (Praise God!) so I just have to pay a co-pay. But who is your pediatrician? And do they take medicaid?

Thanks
God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 AM   #2026
hullabal98's Avatar
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,897
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

michelle,
deirdre is fantastic and a LLLleader herself so I know she completely understands a lot of what you feel right now. someday, have her tell you about her experiences with her first son, which is what inspired her to help other moms. such a huge blessing to know her and mellanie - and to be able to pass them along for others. you're a great mom and this is perhaps a way for you to help others (by suggesting to your pedi about the scale) so although it is very hard for you, try to think of it as your experience will help others. that's what I tell myself anyway!
__________________
Cynthia - proud wife, busy mom of 2 boys and a girl!
hullabal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #2027
pfamilygal6's Avatar
pfamilygal6
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 625
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
So, since DH has some overtime on this week's check. We've decided to have a rare dinner out without the kiddos.

I'd like to go somewhere we haven't been before, and try something new. So far we've only been to places like Chilis, Applebees, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc... I believe our "back up" plan will probably be Chili's...

So, I was wondering what you all can recomend?

Has anyone ever been to the fondu place called The Melting Pot? Is it super expensive? Is it good?

Are there any good Japaneese Hibatchi places around? I think there is one near the Mall..?

Any other suggestions? I'm up for trying almost anything new. DH isn't crazy about Indian or Vietnamese.... Would like it to not be much more expensive than Red Lobster Prices, but less is fine. It's just our first time out without the kids in like.... 8 months or so. So want it to be a few steps up from McDonalds or Denny's. LOL

Are there any good steak houses around that are moderately priced?

Thanks ladies!

God bless!
There's a hibachi place over on Green Oaks and 20 (across the highway from Movie Tavern) called Sake that has buy one get one free dinners with no coupon. We took the kids when we studied Japan and it was about $65 for all 6 of us (youngest stayed with Grandma).
__________________
Tamara, blessed bw'ing, hs'ing, part time ER RN mommy to Nate (10), Anna (8), Abby (6), Luke (5), Gabe (3), 5 much loved babes in Heaven
and Leah Claire, born 9/9/10, 5 lb 15 oz
ISO: Medium velour Pianissimo Duets
pfamilygal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #2028
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullabal98 View Post
michelle,
deirdre is fantastic and a LLLleader herself so I know she completely understands a lot of what you feel right now. someday, have her tell you about her experiences with her first son, which is what inspired her to help other moms. such a huge blessing to know her and mellanie - and to be able to pass them along for others. you're a great mom and this is perhaps a way for you to help others (by suggesting to your pedi about the scale) so although it is very hard for you, try to think of it as your experience will help others. that's what I tell myself anyway!
Thank you so much for the encouragement. Baby and I are both happier now that we are BFing again and no more pesky bottles! I wonder what the pediatrician will say when I make my suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal6 View Post
There's a hibachi place over on Green Oaks and 20 (across the highway from Movie Tavern) called Sake that has buy one get one free dinners with no coupon. We took the kids when we studied Japan and it was about $65 for all 6 of us (youngest stayed with Grandma).
I wish I had thought to suggest Hibachi to DH yesterday, it totally slipped my mind. But that's ok. We ended up doing Red Lobster. I saw my old boss (the GM) and we chatted for a few minutes. I was kindof joking with him and said "So, employee discount for old time sake, right? Huh?" And nudged him with my elbow. He said "Of course, let me know when you get seated." So he ended up comping our appetizer which just like $2.00 less than what the employee discount would have been had we paid for the appetizer. So it was cool.

DH and I had a great time, he was in a playful mood which put me in a good mood. We both just felt so refreshed and re-connected. We really needed it.

I'm so greatful to Jessica for watching my boys. Her watching them made it possible for us to get out without the kids and have the time to reconnect.

So. Jessica.. I know I said it several times last night.. but THANK YOU SO MUCH! And I really enjoyed the time we had chatting after I got home before you left. We should hang out more often.

God bless everyone!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #2029
Fleece Be With You's Avatar
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,161
Re: DFW mamas

You are so welcome, I had a lot of fun, I know how important it is to have those date nights, I can't imagine how hard it would be to not have family around to watch them (although with some of the stuff you've said about your family, I'm not sure you'd want them watching your kiddos anyway ).
__________________
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #2030
Michelle_M's Avatar
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, Tx
Posts: 15,899
My Mood:
Re: DFW mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post
You are so welcome, I had a lot of fun, I know how important it is to have those date nights, I can't imagine how hard it would be to not have family around to watch them (although with some of the stuff you've said about your family, I'm not sure you'd want them watching your kiddos anyway ).
LOL

My mom is awesome with my boys. She realizes that in some things I parent differently than she did, and that's ok with her. I know that if I were to leave them with her, she'd follow my requests.

I think my dad and step mom would be ok too. She has different ideas about CIO and some things.. but she's a nana, so she'd just spoil them she.

God bless!
__________________
Christian wife to my hubby, mamma to three little men and a little lady!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.