Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Different type of Midwives...

What do you ladies think about the different types of midwives? Which do you think is better as far as what 'you' want out of your birth experience?

I am starting to think that I don't really like CNM {Certified Nurse Midwives} as they are basically very 'medical" based on what "I" think a midwife would be like. They deliver at hospitals and work closely with obs. I almost felt like talking with her that she WAS an 'ob'. I also don't get the same warm, fuzzy vibes I was getting from the LM {Licensed Midwives} that I spoke with yesterday.

I just don't see the point of me 'choosing' a CNM when they are so similar to the feeling I get with an ob. Is it just me that feels that way?
{Okay.. I'll admit that I am totally new to the midwife thing, but it really shocked me that they are so much more 'medical' thinking than I would have thought a 'midwife' would be like}.

I think I much rather prefer the LM as they seem more laid back and really wanting the woman to 'listen to her body". I also like the LMs because they do birth center and home births.

Any thoughts, experiences, or stories you would like to share on your midwives?

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
ckdasho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Different type of Midwives...

My only experience is with CNMs. The practice I had was split between OBs and CNMs. To be honest, I felt that the majority of them were "medwives", especially the one who ended up helping me to deliver. (well, I ended up with an emergency c, so the OB actually delivered). There was one of them, who I LOVED, that went on maternity leave as soon as I was about to give birth. But, that probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. You got whoever was on-call for that day.

The only nice thing about having a CNM is they actually palpated me and would take time to answer my questions. They also made you wait until you were 2weeks overdue to induce, but their methods were the same as the OB side.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdasho View Post
My only experience is with CNMs. The practice I had was split between OBs and CNMs. To be honest, I felt that the majority of them were "medwives", especially the one who ended up helping me to deliver. (well, I ended up with an emergency c, so the OB actually delivered). There was one of them, who I LOVED, that went on maternity leave as soon as I was about to give birth. But, that probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. You got whoever was on-call for that day.

The only nice thing about having a CNM is they actually palpated me and would take time to answer my questions. They also made you wait until you were 2weeks overdue to induce, but their methods were the same as the OB side.

That is what I got too. The CNM called this morning and explained that I would have to birth in a hospital, would have to have continous monitoring, and also have a hep lock. Isn't that the same as an IV without the cord and liquid? I also wouldn't be allowed to have a waterbirth or a number of other things. I seriously think my strict obs were more 'relaxed' than she was. I was just really frustrated and confused.
I am glad you thought that way too because I think the LMs are very different in feeling, thoughts, etc than the CNM that I spoke with today.

Thanks so much for responding and sharing your experience! Medwives is a great name for the CNMs!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's also a CPM (certified professional midwife) - that's what my homebirth midwife is. She has been certified by the Michigan Midwives' Association, the National Registry of Midwives and Midwives' Alliance of North America. Check which certifications any MW's you interview have. I agree that many CNM's are "med"wives, but unfortunately, I think they end up like that in order to survive in the highly medicalized OB world.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
ceilismom
Registered Users
seller

I think it may depend a lot on what state you live in, and the laws you're dealing with. I live in SD, and NO midwives can attend a homebirth legally (unless they finally change that stupid law during this legislative session). The only way I could have a MW of any sort deliver my baby would be if she signed some sort of practice agreement with an OB (like that's going to ever happen) and delivered in the hospital. But, my CNM has an office just across the border in Wyoming which is much more MW friendly. She has 25 years of experience, is very against interventions and is a very spiritual person. She does not consider herself any more qualified to safely attend a home birth than an experienced Lay Midwife. Assuming I remain low-risk, I'll be giving birth at her office, in an Aquadoula tub, with my DH, DD and the midwife present, and no interventions.

You may be dealing with CNMs who are very restricted by state laws (they are not always the same for CNMs as for LMs) that make it illegal for them to attend the homebirth you want.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
There's also a CPM (certified professional midwife) - that's what my homebirth midwife is. She has been certified by the Michigan Midwives' Association, the National Registry of Midwives and Midwives' Alliance of North America. Check which certifications any MW's you interview have. I agree that many CNM's are "med"wives, but unfortunately, I think they end up like that in order to survive in the highly medicalized OB world.
Yes.. that was one of the 'titles' of some of the midwives.{CPM}. I like those too!

I would rather have an ob than a cnm ... I just didn't feel any real 'connect' with the one we spoke with. I felt like the ob was better in 'feeling' than she. Maybe she was just having a bad day?

I did notice that EVERY midwife that I spoke with commented on the hospital that I was to birth at. Apparently everyone, but me, knows that MOST of the births there are c/sections. That explains the assumption that "I" would be having one. They also all commented on how 'medically micromanaged" EVERY ob patient was there. I have to totally agree!

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilismom View Post
I think it may depend a lot on what state you live in, and the laws you're dealing with. I live in SD, and NO midwives can attend a homebirth legally (unless they finally change that stupid law during this legislative session). The only way I could have a MW of any sort deliver my baby would be if she signed some sort of practice agreement with an OB (like that's going to ever happen) and delivered in the hospital. But, my CNM has an office just across the border in Wyoming which is much more MW friendly. She has 25 years of experience, is very against interventions and is a very spiritual person. She does not consider herself any more qualified to safely attend a home birth than an experienced Lay Midwife. Assuming I remain low-risk, I'll be giving birth at her office, in an Aquadoula tub, with my DH, DD and the midwife present, and no interventions.

You may be dealing with CNMs who are very restricted by state laws (they are not always the same for CNMs as for LMs) that make it illegal for them to attend the homebirth you want.

That is true about the laws. Here hbs are OK as long as the mw doesn't own a birth center. Then it is illegal.

I am not birthing this baby in a hospital and dealing with obs if I don't have to. I am just so sick of all the interventions, telling me I can't do something. and now pushing a c/section and all kinds of tests. I could see if there were reasons or even one medical reason, but just to do a section is stupid. I do think most ppl who go to the practice I was going have sections and then tummy tucks. Not sure though? I just don't understand the push for all kinds of stupid procedures when the mom and baby are perfectly fine.

I think I am going to call my homestate and ask some midwives there about those laws. I may even decide to fly home to stay until delivery if I find a great midwife there. I just want a great birth experience without all kinds of junk hooked up to me, poking and proding throughout labor, and constant monitoring with those stupid belts. You would think they would guess that laboring with tight belts on your tummy doesn't feel good. Luckily with my dd3, the ob said that we could take them off and when they needed a reading the nurse or ob just held up the thing to my tummy. It worked great and I got those things off.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
oconnellhouse@msn.com
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have any knowledge in this area at all. BUT I have been reading a blog who the author is a certifed midwife. She works in a birthing center that is associated with a hospital and it is right across the street from a hospital. She talks a lot about the conflicts and issues she has with wanting to be a midwife and the interventions the hospital has since they are associated with the hospital. I hope I described that correctly. Check out the blog - http://www.bellytales.com/

http://colorado-mama.blogspot.com/
oconnellhouse@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconnellhouse@msn.com View Post
I don't have any knowledge in this area at all. BUT I have been reading a blog who the author is a certifed midwife. She works in a birthing center that is associated with a hospital and it is right across the street from a hospital. She talks a lot about the conflicts and issues she has with wanting to be a midwife and the interventions the hospital has since they are associated with the hospital. I hope I described that correctly. Check out the blog - http://www.bellytales.com/
Thanks mama! I will check it out!
Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm going with a Direct Entry Midwife this pregnancy. I asked a lot of questions prior to deciding (mostly on MDC) and it seems like many women with midwife experience prefer them, because they're the most "midwifey" midwives, if that makes sense...they can still have all the experience in the world but just haven't gone further with licensing/certification for whatever reason, sometimes just by choice. I'll see if I can link you to the MDC thread where I asked about DEM's vs other, "higher" types of midwives.