Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Different type of Midwives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I'm going with a Direct Entry Midwife this pregnancy. I asked a lot of questions prior to deciding (mostly on MDC) and it seems like many women with midwife experience prefer them, because they're the most "midwifey" midwives, if that makes sense...they can still have all the experience in the world but just haven't gone further with licensing/certification for whatever reason, sometimes just by choice. I'll see if I can link you to the MDC thread where I asked about DEM's vs other, "higher" types of midwives.
Yes.. I think those are the same a CM here. The CNM are actually Nurse Practioners here.

Thanks for the help and info!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #12
Toby_99833
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am sorry if I am repeating anything that someone else has said, but I didn't read any of the responses. I'm lazy.

IMO and IMO only I do not think it matters what KIND of midwife you go with. It matters WHO your midwife is. I had a home birth with a CPM. She went to midwife school and was state certified, but had originally learned through apprenticeship. My friend gave birth in a birth center at the hospital with a nurse midwife. Both of us loved our births. Both of us were unsatisfied with our postpartum care. Mine was not as agressive and helpful with the special needs of my extreamly low birthweight baby. While my friend got cought up in the medical BS that they tried to shove on her because they did not understand how she could have had a perfectly healthy 1 month early baby.

I think what is best to do is figure out what it is you want from a practitioner. Then interview EVERYONE. Do not rule people out simply because of their qualifications. Some CNM might be very much in line with homebirth ideals, but you would never know because you never talked to them and a CPM might seem like the crunchy birth lovin' practitioner that you want, but is useless when it comes to those times where you NEED medical attention.

Find someone who offers you a balanced approach. Someone who is sensitive, caring, pro-your birth plan and not afraid to explore/use the "other side" be it the medical side or the homebirth/natural birth side.

Does that make any sense?

This is a super tough decision. It was really hard for me being my first baby because I did not know what I needed to want/have. I was totally in the dark. Even though I read every book I could get my hands on. This makes it hard to take charge of your care.

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had never really thought about the difference until you posted, but looking back, I totally agree!

I started this pg seeing a group CNM with our local hospital because they came so highly recommended. After I heard that they wouldn't allow a water birth, I was kind of turned off. They still follow all of the hosptial/ OB guidelines so I started looking elsewhere.

Now, I'm seeing two LM/CPMs. They are fabulous! They are definately more open to listening to my body and usuing different non medical techniques before they go the medical route and they are so personable. They do birthcenter births and homebirths. Oh I could go on for days about how I love them.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
lelaflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

there is a CNW at my hospital that a lot of my friends have gone to. Everything she does is the same as an OB. I had my own midwife who I did everything at home with and it was great. WI actually just got licensed with midwifery. With my last pregnancy, i tried doing the doctor visits also, and had nothing but problems, so I am sticking with just my midwife this time and everything is smooth so far!
lelaflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My CNMW was not at all OB "like". I loved her.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_99833 View Post
I am sorry if I am repeating anything that someone else has said, but I didn't read any of the responses. I'm lazy.

IMO and IMO only I do not think it matters what KIND of midwife you go with. It matters WHO your midwife is. I had a home birth with a CPM. She went to midwife school and was state certified, but had originally learned through apprenticeship. My friend gave birth in a birth center at the hospital with a nurse midwife. Both of us loved our births. Both of us were unsatisfied with our postpartum care. Mine was not as agressive and helpful with the special needs of my extreamly low birthweight baby. While my friend got cought up in the medical BS that they tried to shove on her because they did not understand how she could have had a perfectly healthy 1 month early baby.

I think what is best to do is figure out what it is you want from a practitioner. Then interview EVERYONE. Do not rule people out simply because of their qualifications. Some CNM might be very much in line with homebirth ideals, but you would never know because you never talked to them and a CPM might seem like the crunchy birth lovin' practitioner that you want, but is useless when it comes to those times where you NEED medical attention.

Find someone who offers you a balanced approach. Someone who is sensitive, caring, pro-your birth plan and not afraid to explore/use the "other side" be it the medical side or the homebirth/natural birth side.

Does that make any sense?

This is a super tough decision. It was really hard for me being my first baby because I did not know what I needed to want/have. I was totally in the dark. Even though I read every book I could get my hands on. This makes it hard to take charge of your care.

Good luck!
Yes Mama, it does make perfect sense!! It probably is more about feeling connected to what the individual mw has to offer. I think having a mw who isn't afraid to use medical help if needed is something that I definitely want, but I don't want her to only push the medical.. kwim? So far with the two CNM {Certified Nurse Midwives} that I have spoken with.. they are pretty much VERY medical. Enough that I wouldn't even bother going to them. If I had to choose between the CNMs that I have spoken with and the OBs.. I would choose the obs as I really don't see much difference and if problems happened the OB would be right there 'monitoring" how fast my labor went, making sure I was continuously monitored, getting an IV, etc. I just don't see a difference in attitude or care. I would stay with an ob in that case as atleast I would have some sort of bond "hopefully" with them by the time birth rolled around.

What I like about the other types of mws that I have spoken with is that they are open to trying things and even a water birth if you want. They have all stated that of course if there were medical problems or emergencies then they would definitely transfer me to a hospital which I would want them to do. I want a healthy live baby so I will do whatever it takes for that.

You made a lot of sense and you actually think/feel like my DH & I. I just need someone who CARES about me and my baby. Someone who realizes that I am a person with feelings and so is my baby. I honestly wouldn't care what type of mw she was as long as she really respected my wishes and tried to do the best she could in making sure I got the type of birth that I hoped for, but willing to say.. 'you know.. I think it is time we go to the hospital" before things get too bad.

Thanks for responding!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #17
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

[QUOTE=ClothDiaperingMama;2487776
What I like about the other types of mws that I have spoken with is that they are open to trying things and even a water birth if you want. They have all stated that of course if there were medical problems or emergencies then they would definitely transfer me to a hospital which I would want them to do. I want a healthy live baby so I will do whatever it takes for that. [/QUOTE]

That's what I like, too. My MW is actually totally cool with a possible UC.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
I had never really thought about the difference until you posted, but looking back, I totally agree!

I started this pg seeing a group CNM with our local hospital because they came so highly recommended. After I heard that they wouldn't allow a water birth, I was kind of turned off. They still follow all of the hosptial/ OB guidelines so I started looking elsewhere.

Now, I'm seeing two LM/CPMs. They are fabulous! They are definately more open to listening to my body and usuing different non medical techniques before they go the medical route and they are so personable. They do birthcenter births and homebirths. Oh I could go on for days about how I love them.

It sounds like you may have gone to the CNM that I spoke with. I am in WA too.
There are some AWESOME midwives here!!! I love most of these birth centers, but have two favorites and I would go to either of them if I had the chance! Those midwives are totally awesome and I love their attitudes, the birth centers, etc. I almost feel cheated out of a birth center birth.

Anyway.. I am hoping to get the first mw that I spoke with. I really liked her and she seemed so sweet. She is definitely what I "think" I am looking for. I think I will ask for an interview and see. I am too chicken now to talk to her as I don't want her to say 'no' and then I won't have any other choices.

Good luck to you! I am so glad that you have found a great midwife!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I DEF prefer a LM over a CNM BUT I have two midwives right now that work together and one is a CPM the other a CNM and you would never know the difference, the CNM is just as 'hardcore' as any cpm if not more. I LOVE having her on my team. She is amazing and I LOVE that if I DO have to transfer she works part time at the hosp and she knows who is who and what we can get away with and all the loop holes and stuff, plus she is a cool mama, we can talk babies, jam bands, shoes, anything, LOVE her. If I had to have a hosp birth I am glad that mamas are getting to have her there in the hosp. and get her knowledge.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelaflower View Post
there is a CNW at my hospital that a lot of my friends have gone to. Everything she does is the same as an OB. I had my own midwife who I did everything at home with and it was great. WI actually just got licensed with midwifery. With my last pregnancy, i tried doing the doctor visits also, and had nothing but problems, so I am sticking with just my midwife this time and everything is smooth so far!
That is what I have experienced with CNM so far too. In this state they are also licensed as "Nurse Practioners".

Glad that your MW is working great for you! I can't believe I waited so long to even try a mw. They seem so awesome and I am so dreaming of a waterbirth!