Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #121
BALM! Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: Taylor's Soap
seller

Re: Hawaiian mamas, where are you?

Big Island East Side....near Hilo? We are moving to BI next week...Kona side tho...

Advertisement

BALM! Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #122
a_besch
Registered Users

I'm moving to Oahu in July- what should I know about cloth diapering on the island?
a_besch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #123
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't let your baby go playing outside in just a diaper. The Hawaiian dirt stains.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #124
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_besch View Post
I'm moving to Oahu in July- what should I know about cloth diapering on the island?
Like PP said - hawaii dirt stains, major! Ever heard of Red Dirt Shirts - yep, this is the dirt they use to stain those shirts....

There is a pretty good trade on CL of CDs. There are actually quite a lot of us here who CD. We do have 1 good (expensive) CD store, Babyawearness (they have a website you can check out). I go up there to check out the newest, latest things coming out - then order online if I want to get them. Better to get your dipes online and have them shipped, especially if you are getting them from DS. We do have aTON of sun, so if you line dry or need to sun your dipes you are in luck. Getting most of the soaps people like is not too hard, we do have a few great whole foods type stores that carry a lot of choices. We do also have a Whole Foods.

Where are you moving to? If there is anything we can help you with once you get here, let us know. I had fantastic help form several DS Mamas when we got here. 2 of them are my best girls here!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 AM   #125
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_besch View Post
Hard Water! Ugh! Such a pain to wash diapers in & keep the stink away!

I do let my DS run around outside in diapers though. They're too cute & it's just too hot to wear clothes a lot of the time!

Bikram yoga lover and CD addict
mama21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #126
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
Hard Water! Ugh! Such a pain to wash diapers in & keep the stink away!

I do let my DS run around outside in diapers though. They're too cute & it's just too hot to wear clothes a lot of the time!
Do you mind me asking where you live? We moved to SAlt Lake about the same time we started CDing and I suspect (sorry I'm a dope) we have hard water. Not even sure.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #127
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, Salt Lake. I've used RLR now on just my inserts & even gone to the extreme of washing my inserts in Tide once. I continue to do my usual washing in Calgon & Rockin Green. But, I'm sure I'll have to do an insert Tide wash occasionally.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #128
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
Yep, Salt Lake. I've used RLR now on just my inserts & even gone to the extreme of washing my inserts in Tide once. I continue to do my usual washing in Calgon & Rockin Green. But, I'm sure I'll have to do an insert Tide wash occasionally.
ok so at least I know we have hard water now
We have coin op and a lot of the time I hand wash in the tub. I have been using infant pfs in my pockets and prem pfs and covers the rest of the time. I also use hemp doublers and recently had to re-boil/dawn them. I havent had a real problem with stink since I did away with MF. I also just ordered some bamboo/zorb inserts so I hope those don't stink. I am loving having DD wake up and not reeking of ammonia
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #129
mama21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've also gotten rid of most (but not all) of my mf inserts and gone to bamboo/zorb, bamboo sherpa & I think the last I ordered are a bambo/hemp mix. Love them! I'm all pockets & AI2s. I line dry my pockets & dryer dry inserts & the AI2 diapers. I wash every 3 days (maybe 2). We have a top loader (old model) so I rinse once & then hot wash & cold rinse. Though I think I'm going to start doing a first rinse with just the poopy ones, then rinse again with all of the rest before washing. I work FT so have to spray out the poopies (from daycare) when I get home every night. They're sometimes pretty stuck on so I think that contributes to the stink. I feel lucky though that my sitter puts up with my cloth obsession;-)

Last edited by mama21; 03-15-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #130
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

totally lucky. My DD goes to my grandma during the day and she will not use cloth. She wouldn't even use the babyfood I made and insisted she buy for her own house. Whatever. I have better things to fight about. I'm lucky she watches the kid for free. Give and take right?

ETA~its totally cool that there are other CDing mamas on the island LOL. Sometimes I feel like the only one. NONE if my friends CD.

Last edited by corinne76; 03-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote