Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #91
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Nebraska Mamas!

Hey Nebraska Mamas!!

I need some help ....I am newly preggo and really wanting to experience a homebirth with this babe. I went to Heart and Hands and loved them with my last babe, and I am not against going again if I can't find anyone.

I know the homebirth midwives around here work on a referral basis and I seem to be having a hard time finding anyone with information on any of them . So if ANYONE has info please PM me!!! I am in Omaha right now but we will be moving to Wahoo, NE by the time I am due. Hoping someone can help me here.....

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:56 AM   #92
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you ask to join the Nebraska Friends of Midwives yahoo group?

Homebirths are illegal in NE so it's kind of an "underground" thing.

HTH

GL!
threestraycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #93
mrsmac08
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm jumping in REALLY late here but I just moved back to Norfolk after being in Germany and AL with DH in the Army. But, we're back now and expecting #3 the end of March. Is there anyone closer to me than Omaha or Lincoln??
Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM   #94
jeffgordongrl24
Registered Users

Hi ladies!

I live in Kearney right now, but am originally from Oshkosh. I'm a FTM expecting our first on Feb 1 2009. Been building a stash for the baby to come!

Tammy
jeffgordongrl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #95
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Welcome, Tammy & CONGRATS!

Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #96
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestraycats View Post
Did you ask to join the Nebraska Friends of Midwives yahoo group?

Homebirths are illegal in NE so it's kind of an "underground" thing.

HTH

GL!
Nothing illegal about a home birth in NE, it's just illegal for a CNM to attend a home birth, and DEM/CPM's are unregulated so they run the risk of being charged with "practicing medicine without a license". But, there is at LEAST one home birth midwife in NE.
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #97
Nettacow
Registered Users

Lynisha! Glad to see you finally got on here. :>) Are you coming to the NFoM annual meeting in Lincoln?

For the rest of you, consider yourselves invited! Here's the official announcement for Nebraska Friends of Midwives' yearly meeting:

Friday, Jan. 9, 2009
11:00 Potluck & Meeting
In Lincoln (location waiting on confirmation)
1:30 Tour of Capitol - for those interested
Meetings with senators throughout the day
---------------------
We are planning to work with a senator to introduce 3 pieces of legislation this year to improve birth options in Nebraska. You can read more about it on our forum, go to www.nemidwives.org, click on Forum, and then click on Legislative. It's the NFoM 2009 Legislation thread.

Basically, we are hoping to 1) add CNMs to the list of providers that cannot be denied hospital privileges based solely on their credential type. 2) remove the written practice agreement requirement for CNMs so they can practice autonomously and 3) remove the home birth restriction.

We REALLY need help in Districts with HHS Committee members. ...District 2 (Pankonin - Louisville); District 9 (Howard - Omaha); District 14 (Gay - Papillion); District 22 (Stuthman - Platte Center/Columbus). (You can find your senator here - http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/s...nator_find.php) If you are in one of these districts, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know!!!

Any of the rest of you - we would LOVE it if you would be willing to contact your senator and ask him or her to support our efforts. We have several sample letters you can use to write something, or if you'd be willing to meet with your senator, that's all the better and someone in our group would be happy to accompany you!

I'd also like to note that you don't have to want a home birth or even an out-of-hospital birth to support our efforts. If you are one with your epidural, that's OK - you have that option! We are just tryng to get more options available to those who DO want them. Please contact me with any questions - thanks!
Nettacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #98
Nettacow
Registered Users

Ugh, sorry, ps - For those of you in Lincoln, Omaha, or the Tri-City area (GI - Hastings - Kearney), we have regional meetings (usually potlucks) and we may do some private, informal showings of Ina May Gaskin's movie "Orgasmic Birth". Check out the forum (link above) or the yahoo group at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...ndsofmidwives/

I'm done for now, I swear. :>)
Nettacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 AM   #99
nisha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey Lenetta!
I really hope I can come to the annual meeting... it will kind of depend on how much traveling we end up doing during the holidays though! Hmm, that reminds me - I need re renew my membership!
nisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #100
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisha View Post
Nothing illegal about a home birth in NE, it's just illegal for a CNM to attend a home birth, and DEM/CPM's are unregulated so they run the risk of being charged with "practicing medicine without a license". But, there is at LEAST one home birth midwife in NE.

FTR, I am not anti-HB, I think everyone should birth the way they want to!