Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #131
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nebraska Mamas!

Hi all NE mamas! My family and I are going to have to move in the near future to find work. I have a phone interview with Verizon in Lincoln on Monday. (wish me luck!) Hopefully I won't need it. I have experience in call centers, customer service, tech support, and graphic design.

I've lived in the same area in KS all my life, so the thought of moving is exciting and scary to me. I'd like to know as much about Lincoln before hand as I can. Are there any "bad" areas (like the wrong side of the track?) and vise versa, are there any rich snobby areas? What's all this I hear about Northside/Southside? How are the public schools? Are there any non-religious private schools? Is there terrible traffic? Any recommendations for a pediatrician or family doctor who is OK with a non-vaccinated infant? Is there hope in finding a home or duplex to rent with 2 (well behaved & house trained) dogs? THANKS!

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #132
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh BTW it's super duper cool that there is a cloth diapering store in Lincoln!!! People around here think I'm crazy when I mention CD. Our regular shopping options really bite the big one anyways.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #133
valpopp
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you will love Lincoln There are many diverse areas in Lincoln. The most crime would probably be around the downtown area, both north and south. I lived on the north and south side of Lincoln and there are good and bad on both sides. Although the further south you go the less bad areas there are because of house prices. College View area has alot of duplexes, but is getting kinda ghetto. I think it depends on the block. I think most of the new schools on the southside have great facilities and the kids score good on tests. My ped is Pediatrics PC and I love them. But as with all Drs. you have to stand up for what you believe in. And what you think is right for you. So far they have somewhat accomadated me on my views. But there are like 5 peds in the office I happen to see the most straightlined one in the office for some reason. But she is also the president of the nebraska chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #134
merrywearer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Circle Me is a really nice store, the owner is great, too! My good friend has a photo display behind the counter.
merrywearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #135
MeganMK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi ladies! I'm Megan, and I'm in Omaha. Oh, and I love Circle Me! I went to their cloth diapering and baby wearing classes! Now I am hooked on cd'ing!
MeganMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #136
MeesterMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am in Omaha too, I have yet to get out to the Lincoln store, but I will one of these days!
MeesterMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #137
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpopp View Post
I think you will love Lincoln There are many diverse areas in Lincoln. The most crime would probably be around the downtown area, both north and south. I lived on the north and south side of Lincoln and there are good and bad on both sides. Although the further south you go the less bad areas there are because of house prices. College View area has alot of duplexes, but is getting kinda ghetto. I think it depends on the block. I think most of the new schools on the southside have great facilities and the kids score good on tests. My ped is Pediatrics PC and I love them. But as with all Drs. you have to stand up for what you believe in. And what you think is right for you. So far they have somewhat accomadated me on my views. But there are like 5 peds in the office I happen to see the most straightlined one in the office for some reason. But she is also the president of the nebraska chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
Thanks, I think we will really like it. I'm glad to hear the areas are mixed up. In our town it's all concentrated in the north end. So where is the downtown area? I assume it runs north & south, but which street? I'm looking forward to moving out of this place, but I'm not looking forward to finding all new doctor, dentist, optometrist, vet, ect...!

Oh and I forgot to ask...how big is the airport? Is it something to stay away from while looking for a place to live?

Last edited by jayell79; 02-09-2009 at 01:38 AM.
jayell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #138
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayell79 View Post
Thanks, I think we will really like it. I'm glad to hear the areas are mixed up. In our town it's all concentrated in the north end. So where is the downtown area? I assume it runs north & south, but which street? I'm looking forward to moving out of this place, but I'm not looking forward to finding all new doctor, dentist, optometrist, vet, ect...!

Oh and I forgot to ask...how big is the airport? Is it something to stay away from while looking for a place to live?
Hey I am in Lincoln and have lived here my whole life, minus a year or two when I lived in Omaha. It's a great town, people kind of refer to it as the little big town, because it's not little, but it has more of a small town feel.

We are actually selling our house right now, it's a great 3 bedroom ranch in south Lincoln. The housing market in Lincoln right now is TERRIBLE for sellers, but if you are going to buy it will be great. Houses are selling for well under what they are worth. If you move in the near future PM me, I'll let ya know the real state estate page for our house.

The Airport is not big at all.....most all time time we fly out of Omaha. It kind of does have an neighborhood out there called Air Park, but I'd avoid it. It's kind of way out there and not the greatest area. My husband from Omaha always say there is NO bad part of Lincoln, not like Omaha, ya know. I'd just avoid downtown. I've always lived South and I like it....Lincoln is really growing south and southwest.

If you have any more questions let me know! I'd be happy to let you know some doctors we use.

Good luck!!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #139
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Ohh I forgot to say Lincoln has an AWESOME breastfeeding support center. It's actually run by a doctor who is also a lactation consultant, but they are fabulous. There are breastfeeding mothers groups....food allergy groups. They sell nursing supplies, cloth diapers, soft sole shoes, and much more.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #140
Mom of 3 Boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
Ohh I forgot to say Lincoln has an AWESOME breastfeeding support center. It's actually run by a doctor who is also a lactation consultant, but they are fabulous. There are breastfeeding mothers groups....food allergy groups. They sell nursing supplies, cloth diapers, soft sole shoes, and much more.
Are you refering to Milkmade ? I have been to that store also, it is a great store and they have alot of great items.
Mom of 3 Boys is offline   Reply With Quote