Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Give it to me straight....

tell me about natural birthing ???

I wanna know about a drug free birth. Home birth, water birth, hospital birth it doesnt matter as long as it was drug free.

I honestly dont have much faith in myself because I cave big time with pain but I am really considering it for the next baby.

Is it really painful ? Tell me the truth !!

We are a military family so more than likely I will have another hospital birth because Tricare doesnt pay for homebirth and very little on a birthing center.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Give it to me straight....

As someone who has had 2 drug-free births, I can tell you it does hurt. But as someone who has also had gallstones and kidney stones, those hurt 10+ times worse.

I thought in my mind as I was going through it that for millions of years women gave birth with no drugs. Only in the last 150-200 years has there been anything to "help" out.

I also thought that with every intervention that happens, you increase your risk of having a c-section. I do not want one. I think our 1 out of 3 women statistic is WAYYYYYYY to high and I would rather be a statistic for a drug-free birth than a c-section.

I know that military hospitals vary on listening to the moms about what they want for their birth. If you can find a MW or OB that is willing to listen to you, it will make it much easier on you. I know that when you deliver you have a chance of not getting your provider but make sure you have an advocate who is willing to tell them off about intervening with you.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

I think it really depends...I work as a doula and have seen women who wanted to go natural request an epidural right away...then I have seen an unmedicated mom sitting and reading the newspaper at 10 cm. dilated! All 4 of my own labors were not too bad...I think it is really much harder to avoid meds when you are in the hospital though. I would check into a hb or bc and see what it might cost for you...it might be worth it. If you do choose a hospital, maybe consider hiring a doula? Education is soooo important, it can really help to read books that really teach you hw to manage labor.

Take care,
Kara
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
mom2~3offspring
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it hurts alot but in the end u WILL BE SO proud of ur self!!
U can do it!
mom2~3offspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom&BabyNaturally View Post
I think it really depends...I work as a doula and have seen women who wanted to go natural request an epidural right away...then I have seen an unmedicated mom sitting and reading the newspaper at 10 cm. dilated! All 4 of my own labors were not too bad...I think it is really much harder to avoid meds when you are in the hospital though. I would check into a hb or bc and see what it might cost for you...it might be worth it. If you do choose a hospital, maybe consider hiring a doula? Education is soooo important, it can really help to read books that really teach you hw to manage labor.

Take care,
Kara
DH and I were just talking about that. He says that if I really want to go natural then I need to go with a HB or BC.

I had both kids in a hospital with Epis. With DS it was horrid pain with DD I really wasnt bothered by the pain of the contractions at all, just a mild discomfort but I was stuck in bed with IVs in me so I think that if I could have moved around, I would have been ok.

With DD I had to have antibiotics for Strep B, is it possible to do a HB or BC birth if I test pos for Strep B again ??
Old 01-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

I've had two no-med. births. I have to admit that I *begged* for drugs during the second (but from start to finish the l&d was 2.5 hours...so it was a wild ride )

A phrase I read on the wall at my midwives was something like "Labor is hard work. It hurts. You can do it." So simple, but really motivating for me

I have to say...as painful as the second l&d was...it was really quite amazing to draw on the knowledge of my first birth and actually feel where ds was in the birth canal and know where he was...it's hard to describe, but it was cool.

You can do it mama
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
IHaveSpirit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a natural hospital birth (I can't have an epi) - I spent most of my labor in the shower - I only pushed for about 20 minutes.... yes it hurt, but I thought my labor was easy Plus I was induced.... E was past due (2 weeks) and I was low on fluid.

I will be having the same type of birth with this baby.
IHaveSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have found with all three of my births that the ONLY time I really felt what I would call bad pain was when I had to get in bed and lay down with my first (midwife wanted to check babies heart rate) After feeling what I did in that short time I promised myself to NEVER again labor at all in a bed and I haven't! If you can labor in water and move freely you can birth naturally. If I had to stay in a bed I would be crying for drugs.

To me birth is pain with a purpose.. Is it uncomfortable yeah, simply horrid unbearable pain..ummm.. No! Horrid pain is slamming my finger in the car door...It hurts for DAYS and there is NO purpose to the pain/discomfort.I hate that kind of pain..

One thing that helped me was I think about ants..yup,little black ants.. I have watched them struggle under huge loads and over BIG objects with their loads and I bring that image to mind when I hit transition. Transition is the ONLY time during labor I began to wonder if I really can do it. I see those ants marching along with thair huge loads and think if they can do what they do day after day I CAN bring my baby into the world. Sounds corny to type it out but it really did help me bring things into perspective

I have never felt more humble and yet powerful too as I do when giving birth.

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 01-11-2008 at 08:22 PM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Laniemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine were both hosp. births w/ midwives. I am planning a home birth with this one. It is painful, water helps a ton w/ pain relief, I labored in the shower and tub as much as I could before they made me get out to push. I labored at home for as long as I thought possible, then went in. I had my dd 4 hours after arriving and my ds less than 3 hours. It is painful, but once you have that baby in your arms it all goes away and you have the most amazing feeling and proud feelings about yourself! You can do it!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post

With DD I had to have antibiotics for Strep B, is it possible to do a HB or BC birth if I test pos for Strep B again ??
Yup,you can.. there are things to do to treat GBS naturally. I tested positive w/ my son and went the garlic route. You WILL have to watch the baby and take temps etc pretty often the first 24-48 hours but actually based on what I am reading the babies that get GBS actually respond better to treatment if the moms DIDN'T get the antibiotics by IV... Also, just because you get the IV doesn't mean your baby can't get GBS.

FWIW you can test positive for GBS one day and three days later after doing nothing test negative. Most places won't ever retest though.

I am NOT trying to downplay GBS but am saying there are other ways to treat it and prevent it..
There is LOTS of info and studies being done on this

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote