Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
meamom
Registered Users

When you love a "top 10" name...UPDATE on #54

We're pregnant with #2 and my DH loves one of the top 10 names. Admittedly, it's a beautiful name and goes wonderfully with our last name (and that's saying something!). If it weren't a top 10 name, i'd be all, "Yes! That's our name." But knowing that there are tons of babies with this name makes me hesitate.

Would you let the extreme popularity of a name keep you from using it?

I'm interested in people's opinions on this.

Advertisement

Cara ~ mama to Lila Wren (b. 1/16/07) and Rosalie Pearl (b. 5/11/08 six weeks early)
Come visit my mama blog!

Last edited by meamom; 01-15-2008 at 10:14 PM.
meamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
myr44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you love a "top 10" name...

I wouldn't use it. But I know a lot of people don't mind. I really loved Lily and Émi as names, but both were too popular here for our taste. So we went with something else.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of differing opinions on this, but dh has one of those popular names of the 70's and we still like to make fun of him because of it

Last edited by myr44; 01-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
myr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't. If you like it, use it. My name (Ashley) was a popular name when I was born. I grew up with 4 or 5 Ashleys in every class, then I hit high school and there was only 1 other Ashley, and now as a grown up I hardly ever run into one IRL. Just my .
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Me personally, if it is an " older name" I would go for it anyway but if it is a new top ton . I may stay away from it because a lot of the top names lately to me seem like fads.kwim?

My daughters name is Allison Bailey , allison is fairly common but in her soccer league , and school grade there aren't any other allisons but about 30 Hannahs,Gracies,Maddisons,Abbys each lol

And my sons name is Nathaniel Gage we call him Gage, Nathaniel is fairly common we haven't met any his age but we haven't been around groups of kids " his age yet" from sports or school but I can bet there will be lots of Blakes,Hunters,
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
lotemp
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't use it...we loved a really popular name, that also would be a family name, but we won't use it b/c there are so many little girls with that name. That said, my sister's three girls all have top 10, really popular names and she loves their names. So it is a personal choice for sure.

lotemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Personally, knowing that a name is that popular keeps me from using it. I grew up as just another Jessica (plus last initial). I know a lot of people don't care- my SIL seems to have picked her kids' names by going to the most popular list every time- but I want my kids to be a little different I guess. I always loved the name Aiden but I would never use it now.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #7
Monzie
Registered Users

Two of the top ten girls names have been on my favorite name list for 20+ years. One of them (Hannah) is my great-grandma's name and I have always loved it. And my mom always used to joke that she should have named me Grace because I'm such a klutz.

But when were deciding on names for our baby, my husband and I agreed "No popular names!" so we had to veto both of old faves. In the end, we had a boy and it didn't matter. But I was kind of sad that I couldn't have the "Hannah Grace" that I'd always wanted, even if I'd had a girl.
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzie View Post
Two of the top ten girls names have been on my favorite name list for 20+ years. One of them (Hannah) is my great-grandma's name and I have always loved it. And my mom always used to joke that she should have named me Grace because I'm such a klutz.

But when were deciding on names for our baby, my husband and I agreed "No popular names!" so we had to veto both of old faves. In the end, we had a boy and it didn't matter. But I was kind of sad that I couldn't have the "Hannah Grace" that I'd always wanted, even if I'd had a girl.
my sil has "Hannah Grace" as her future girls name, my brother doesn't have a choice lol, but she picked that name out a long time ago
Old 01-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #9
SophT
Registered Users
seller

I was one of so many Amy's in my class that I vowed I'd never do that to my kids. Then my husband fell in love with the name Sophia, made a music CD to get me through birth and included a song called Sophia. Low and behold the baby emerged as the song was playing and was a girl so he claimed Divine Providence and convinced me to name her Sophia. (Actually, it was a stand-off and she went for about 24 hours without a name before I caved.) Now everywhere I go I hear people calling kids her age Sophia and I cringe. I'm thinking about having people call her Phia or Fofie (my pet name) when she goes to school, but I'm hoping we'll get by just calling her Sophia and everyone else will be Sophie.
SophT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just pick names that I like and don't really care how popular or unique they are...so if you like it, go for it! oh, and once you pick a name (even a unique name) you will notice more and more people/kids/babies with that name...I guess because you are paying more attention to it. So, IMO, don't worry about lists, just go with what you like.