Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
kmjmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you love a "top 10" name...

well my boys are both on the top 10...as is my husband. that being said I have not met ANY other boys with my boys names.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Little Bear Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I have an Emma...I knew I wanted to use that name almost 20 years ago when I read the book by Jane Austen. I literally cried when "Monica" on Friends gave the name to "Rachel". I knew it was all over with and it would be uber popular in a nanosecond. It was. That being said, I can't imagine my little love bug with any other name. Then "name" when I started elementary school was "Jennifer" so, to justify using Emma I compared thier popularity.
So in 2005 the percentage of babies with her name is:
Quote:
2 Michael 1.1176% Emma 1.0034%
But in 1973 (the year I was born, for equal comparison since I'm talking about the Jennifers that I went to school with) the percentage of Jennifiers was:
Quote:
1 Michael 4.2049% Jennifer 4.0195%
So I decided that the chances of there being as many Emmas as there were Jennifers is not as great.
So, there's my science behind my choice. May not work for everyone, but it made me feel better. lol
Oh, #s taken from www.ssa.org

~ also at FRESH on the 9th on the 9s ~
blogging here --->

Last edited by Little Bear Momma; 01-12-2008 at 09:45 AM. Reason: fix quotes
Little Bear Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm going to contradict myself on this.

DD was not born a Gemma.....she was born EMMA. We just didn't really know the scope of the popularity of it (it was #2 in the country the year she was born).

It didn't take long after her birth to start running into Emma's everywhere. We met one everytime we went out of the house.....NO JOKE. It got really scary, really fast.
Gemma had been on our list also, so we just changed it before she even really knew her name that well. She's been Gemma for sooooo long....no one ever calls her Emma anymore (except people we havent seen in almost a year or more).

Honestly? I don't want my child to be one of a whole handful of kids in the same class/school with the same name. Thats where you get into the teacher having to call out "Emma P., Emma W., Emma J...."
My husband was one of 6 Marks in his high school, and it irritated him to no end.

We liked a couple of more popular names this time around, but just bypassed them. I'd rather go with something that is either OUT of the top 10, or not on the list whatsoever
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Little Bear Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lol...Lisa, I really like Gemma too. But, believe it or not, I've never met another Emma irl....except for the 30something sub who took my students when I went for my very first prenatal appt. I figured I'd be meeting them by the droves!

~ also at FRESH on the 9th on the 9s ~
blogging here --->

Little Bear Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
lilmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I, personally, like to be different, but that's just me. I had a couple names picked out for this baby and nixed one because it was becoming too popular.

Mama to N (1/15/08) and B (1/29/10)!
lilmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #16
peeko621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With our first we choose Jackson. Then four days before we had him, I was talking to a coworker and he had chosen Jackson also for his lo. By that point we weren't going to change. Jackson has no increased in popularity tremendously. Ds even had another Jack in his class of 8 kids last year in preschool. Too crazy! This go around we are trying to stay away from the popular names, but once we ever decide (we are still trying to figure it out), we are sticking with it no matter what!
peeko621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't use it because I don't like popular names. That being said, I guess popular to me is a combination of what the lists say and what my own experience says. A friend names her child Andrew, which is apparently in the top 10, but I never meet little Andrew's. So a popular name that didn't seem it to me might be more acceptable to me.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
starbuckmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was the only Lynn in any of my classes. I know of only 1 other Lynn and she is a bit older than me. I am named after my Aunt Lynn Marie who was born in the late 40's.

Nate, my ds, is the only other child I know IRL with that name. I know of 2 men with the name Nate and that is all. We named our ds after an ancestor. There are only 2 Nate's in the whole ancestor line! His full name is Nathaniel.
starbuckmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #19
kimpo76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't see a reason to care if it's "popular" or not. If you love, you love it, and should name your child a name that you love. That's all that matters.

~Kim - who grew up with at least 3 Kim's in every class she ever took and couldn't care less.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #20
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a popular name, and it has never bothered me at all. It's my name, the one my parents liked and I crew up being that, so I love it too.

And if I really loved a top 10 name, I'd use it too. I would never give a name because it's popular, but because me and DH love it. A friend of mine gave the top name, has been on top for a few years, to their daughter, it happened to the the name of both of their grandmothers, so it made sense.

Btw, since a top name is a top name, most people do not mind giving that to their kids, right? Otherwise it would not be a top name...