Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When you love a "top 10" name...

We're going through the exact same thing now, with our favorite girl's name. I have loved the name Isabella since I was a little girl and it's DH's absolute fave, but I'm so turned off by the thought of her being the sixth Bella in her class, kwim? I'm at the point where I don't want to use it but I'm worried I'll regret it later.

My name is Brooke and that wasn't hugely popular when I was born, my mum had only ever heard of Brooke Shields, yet there were 4 of us in my grade. That's about half as many Catherines, Sarahs, Emmas, Jennifers and Kims... but in the end, you need to decide if you'll regret not using a name you absolutely love.

If we use Isabella, her middle name will be Catalina, so if it's that bad we can always call her Lina instead... or we can name her Catalina Isabel, although we prefer it the other way around.

Advertisement

Last edited by Bella Catalina; 01-12-2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Bella Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #22
McKenzie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Catalina View Post

Her middle name will be Catalina, so if it's that bad we can always call her Lina instead... or we can name her Catalina Isabel, although we prefer it the other way around.
I just had to say that I LOVE Catalina Isabel, although I prefer Isobel.

Anyhow, there are a few top 10 names that I like, but I would never use anything in the top 50 or so. I would not want my child to be Jack H. or Katie R., if you know what I mean. A name becomes so intertwined in who we are that I think it is important to thoroughly search through many names before deciding what you love best. There are so many options out there, outside of the top10-25 that you hear all the time.

I recommend using websites like Babynamesworld.com, which has devoted a lot of time to updating and legitimizing its name lists. Another idea is to look back in your family tree and revive an old family name!
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't, but then again, look at my name, and you'll understand why. I have always been one of several Kate's, Katie's, or Katherine's...don't get me wrong, I like my name and all, but sheesh... I re-invented the version and spelling of my name so many times in school, just to try to be different. I really like Emily and Abigail as names, but they're just too popular. As a teacher, it can also be frustrating to have several students of the same name in every class. It gets ridiculous, like when I have 2 "Emily S's" in one class or two "Evan D's" in another. Any name that's overly popular, not just the top 10, is out for me. Maybe I could see using one as a middle name, but only maybe.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #24
Jubilee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't use it -- but I say that if it's your favorite name you SHOULD.

It kind of annoys me that I fall out of love with a name if it becomes too popular, but again, mine was very popular in school so it probably has something to do with it
and full-time student.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #25
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma'sMommy View Post
lol...Lisa, I really like Gemma too. But, believe it or not, I've never met another Emma irl....except for the 30something sub who took my students when I went for my very first prenatal appt. I figured I'd be meeting them by the droves!

Hahah. I have every belief that geographical location plays a roll, too. Gemma was born in Tennessee....and every girl born out there these days is either an Emma, Madison or Olivia.....

Here in CA? Havent met an Emma so far.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #26
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't use it b/c I tend to not like the popular names.

But... if you like one then go for it - there is a good chance that something else you pick will be popular at some point anyway. My name wasn't popular in my class, but it got popular about 5 years behind me. I say if you like it, use it!
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #27
mommy2kb
Registered Users

Personally, I wouldn't let it deter you. My name (Melissa) is supposedly fairly popular but I've never really run into many other Melissa's. Our baby's name is/will be a mix of unheard of and insanely popular: Kuiper Sophie. My other DD is Kelsey Elizabeth. Kelsey is, I think, kind of like Melissa, in that it is supposedly a popular name but we haven't really met a lot of other Kelsey's. However, in her kindergarten class, we had my daughter (Kelsey), Kallie, Kassie, and Kasey, so I think K is a very popular first letter. Her kindergarten teacher told me that this is the year of the M's: Madison, McKenzie, Madeline, etc. etc.

get thee down, be thou funky
mommy2kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #28
IHaveSpirit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It does not bother me..... when we had E, we had two names picked out and my hubby named him Ethan. With this boy we have two/three names picked out and we (I) will name him after we meet him.
IHaveSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #29
SMKelley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We named our daughter Olivia. It is on the "top 10" list but we honestly don't KNOW any other child with the same name, only people online.

Also, my name is Sarah and it was (if not IS) on the "top 10" list and I didn't know that many.

I say if you like it, go with it.

DO NOT SELL TO ME!
SMKelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
I just had to say that I LOVE Catalina Isabel, although I prefer Isobel.
Thanks mama, for a long time I have preferred Catalina and I love the spelling Isobel, too, but DH likes Isabella best, so Isabel is his compromise.

OP mama, will you share the name you're asking about??