Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #21
TheQueenKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Eating organic/All natural on a budget?

Wow, binkydl that is some great information!! Thank you so much for posting all that. I started visiting my local farmers market last year but unfortunately it is small and didnt have a lot of selection. I am going to try again this year and talk to the vendors to see what other things they might have for sale.

Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #22
binkydl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry it has taken me a while to post again, things are crazy here. We are getting ready to add 8 chickens and are in the process of adding several potato raised beds and hay beds. I have a bunch of stuff to post but might not get around to it right away. Stay tuned.

I did want to post the following websites for those interested in grass fed livestock or markets in Canada.

www.EatWild.com

http://www.marketplace.chef2chef.net...ets/canada.htm

See my preschool program for children 0-4
www.AChildsGardenofThyme.com
PM me for handmade wool Waldorf handicrafts & puppets.
binkydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
BUNGALOW10
Registered Users
seller

We eat mostly organic and find it isn't that much more expensive. They key is to avoid processed and packaged foods. Buying organic boxed mac and cheese or crackers is expensive, and not all that much better for you (it is processed food) or the environment (the ingredients are harvested all over and shipped across the country for manufacture, and then packed, shipped to you etc).

We buy mostly local food. We have a milk man that brings us organic milk from a local farm. We buy meat from the farmer (on the hoof) and get it butchered. We belong to a CSA. A neighbor raises chickens for our eggs.

It has taken us awhile to find a build relationships with organic and local suppliers, but it is so worth it.
BUNGALOW10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:25 PM   #24
binkydl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thought I'd post this here as well. It was in response to a PM regarding a dh that is a HUGE meat eater which is costly on the budget when you are trying to eat organic.

Dear Wanna Be Organic Veggie Mama with a Serious Carnivore DH,

I've been giving your situation some thought and came up with the following pieces of advice.

1) Go S-L-O-W. Make any changes very slowly so not to disrupt your household AND more importantly so they won't notice the changes.

2) Try to educate dh. I had to really do alot of education with my dh to get him on board with my passion about food. I first showed him the Meatrix. www.themeatrix.com (I think). This great series of animated FUNNY videos is a great place to start educating someone about why organic and organic meat is so very important. Next, find a copy of the dvd "The Future of our Food" and watch it with him. *Make sure you eat a large bowl of organic popcorn during this movie.* (Do this during the day. This is not a late night documentary.) It is great though. If he is a reader (or if not perhaps borrow it from the library on cd), have him read or listen to "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle with you. It is so funny, very inspiring, and extremely educational. Last, John Robins Healthy at 100 is a great book that asks us to reevaluate the American diet and it being so protein heavy. Hopefully he will come around to the same conclusion that you have on his own.

3. Have fun with it. Figure out what type of food you and your hubby like. Thai, Czech, Indian, Mexican, etc. Focus on getting the recipes to taste just like they do when you are fine dining. What you are going for here is the opportunity to add more organic fruits and veggies while serving less and less organic meat per week. Example: beef or chicken potpie, light on the meat. Beef stuffed cabbage rolls, less and less beef and more and more rice and veggies in a great red sauce. Add a pasta night or a pizza night to your weekly menu.

4) Get a veggie cookbook and figure out how to prepare those things. I'm thrilled when I see kohlrabi, rappini, Jerusalem artichoke or purple brocliflower because then I need to figure out how to make that thing taste great. Remember, it's all in the preparation.

5) To increase your fresh consumption, consider serving fruit for dessert. Our household has a few designated days for desserts which the children and I prepare together. On alternate nights, fruit is what is allowed. Smoothies, citrus salad with a vinegarette served in a wine class with a sprig of mint, etc. This time, it's all about the presentation.

6) Last, get committed. You gotta see what you have on hand or find out what's going to be coming in that CSA box and menu plan. Use gourmet resources like www.saveur.com or gourmet.com for recipes and support. I also really like veg net. Make your plan, stick to it and lastly make sure that you always have a meal or two preprepared in the freezer for "fast food" when you are too tired or busy to cook.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
Blurberrybuzz
Registered Users

What a fantastic thread.
I just want to add that to keep eating organic and local affordable, learn to cook from scratch. It's not hard. Our grandmothers did it all and maybe our mothers did too. Grow your own. Many areas have community gardens and anyone can have a window garden. At least your herbs will be fresh. Sprouts are incredibly cheap and easy to do. Don't make complicated dishes. Fresh and raw recipes are great tasting, easy to prepare and you don't have any pans to clean, just the food processor. Once you start eating this way, you'll find that you eat less and your tastes change. When we ate conventional food, we'd eat a ton of meat and junk. Once we changed over, we eat meat a few times a week and don't miss it and love our grains, nuts, seeds and veg.
I have to second the going local. Fostering those relationships with local farmers and even the odd small family hobby farm is great. We get our free range organic chicken eggs and raw goat's milk from a family who's homeschool project is goat husbandry. $6/gal of milk and $1.25 for a doz eggs is a great price. We get our meat from the local amish community and our beef from a local farmer. The local farmer also does yogurt and raw butter. Great stuff. We get his raw cream for ice cream in the summer. A birthday treat everyone loves.
CSA's are readily available. It's a great way to get great food at a reasonable price. If it's too much, split the membership with a friend.
Don't forget to grow your own. Tomatoes, pole beans, and peas are all great container items. CHard, collards, beets and carrots don't take too much space and will grow even when neglected. They'll even volunteer themselves the next year if you neglect them right. Garden share with a friend or neighbor. You grow the tomatoes, she can grow the squash or cukes. We did this last year and it was great to double our variety and then freeze or can the extras to help out in the winter.
Please support your local food producers. They need us so that we don't have to live off of ConAgra's GMO foods and dead seeds
Our family budget for running the house - food and household items is $600/mo. I can do it for $400 and we have a family of 5. Farmer's markets and gardening really help.
Blurberrybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #26
binkydl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blurberrybuzz,

I'm thrilled to read your post. Wish I could visit your house for dinner! You're my kind of organic mama. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll pm you so you can put me to work in your yard. Wish I had all those resources near me.

You've (all ya) gotta order a copy of the following free catalogs:

Abundant Life Seeds organic & biodynamic seeds and supplys
www.abundantlifeseeds.com

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
www.rareseeds.com
Oh my goodness! This catalog is to drool for! PM me if your are interested in splitting some of these seeds? I can never plant a whole package since I try to grow a variety of things in such a small space and change what I plant annually.

Last, my absolute favorite urban homesteader. www.pathtofreedom.com You will love what they've done! So inspiring. Can't wait until I can all that too. The cob outdoor bread oven is our next project. Check out theirs in the photo album.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What awesome info...I am bumping this so I can remember and refer back!