Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
regripley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile CDing a 2.5 y/o -- too late to start?

Okay, I just started CDing (well, actually I am still waiting for everything to arrive -- but thats a start -- right?)

I have a 2.5 y/o boy. He shows no signs of wanting to use the toilet besides his desire to wear he Incredible underpants. Is it too late to get into CDing with him?

If I do, what should I get and how much? He weihs 30lbs (he is little). Thanks!

Regina

Advertisement

regripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
zaphodsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: CDing a 2.5 y/o -- too late to start?

Never too late to start However, maybe carefully evaluate whether he is ready for potty training. My son didn't show an interest (and really didn't have any of the signs they generally tell you to watch for) but I just knew he was ready (at 2 1/2). I just had to overcome his fear of sitting on the potty.......which is a whole other story.

Summer's coming and there's no better time for pt!
Old 05-01-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it's too late. DJ was about 19 months or so when we started. He was used to seeing the big kids at Grandma's daycare going to the potty so he would ask to go potty too. Usually, he'd just sit there for a minute and then want to go play but even at that, pull ups were going to be easier...except that I refused to buy Pull-ups training pants because they're more expensive and they're still just like diapers! So I bought some Gerber cloth trainers and one thing led to another. He's 22 months now and goes through phases where he uses the potty all the time and then goes through phases where he has no interest at all in using the potty. I don't really believe in pushing the issue of potty training, I figure he'll get it when he gets it so why make things harder on both of us? So most days he wears cloth diapers...if it seems like a day where he's going to use the pottty, I'll use cloth training pants instead.

We experimented a lot to figure out what diapers we like, but I've found that I like pockets from www.beedieweedieboutique.com for night, fitteds for around the house during the day, or AIOs for if we're out and about.

Good luck!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, it's never too late! My 4 y/o DS has occassional accidents at night and he hates to wear disposables. So he asked me if he could have a "soft" diaper like his little sister So I bought from another mama a Kushies diaper and even though he has only had maybe 1 or 2 accidents, he feels so much better being in the cloth

My DS also starting to use the potty out of the blue when he was 2. Summer is a great time to learn
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

My DS was 2 when I started I CD'd him full time for about a year and then part time for another 6 months... until he PL'd, and I feel that it was worthwhile, since it's what had me solidly convinced I'd use cloth on DD from the start (well almost - we used sposies in the hospital and the first day home!)
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We just started when my son turned 2! Going great. Never too late!
Alison
Old 05-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is right in saying "it's never to late" however, you'll want to make sure he's not ready before buying a super stash. When my dd was 2 I wanted to switch her to cloth. She had no desire to go on the potty and since winter was approaching I thought it'd be a good year before she pl. I was wrong. She was fully potty trained within 3 months with nearly no urging from me, all her. Thankfully I was broke when I wanted to switch and was holding off until after Christmas but ahe was potty trained by mid January.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

I'll echo the other moms - it's never too late to start! And you may even find that being in cloth helps him PL earlier or easier than he would have in sposies. I know a mom who is switching her almost-2 year old to cloth right now for just this reason!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

its never too late
david is 3 though and if he was up to him he will pee on himself LOL so i take him every hour or so to potty. he uses trainers though so its easy to pul lthem
i would get some trainers instead of diapers (or even some side snapper diapies too would work) and for night get some pockets . surprisingly david is 80% of the time dry at night so he can wear a thin trainer at times (he will pee once only if he had too much to drink) now figure that one out lol
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #10
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started CDing my daughter last year when she was 2.5 yrs. old. She was showing no interest in the potty and I was 6 mos. preg. with our son and knew that I would CD him when he was born. So, last Feb. I switched her over to cloth and she potty learned just after her 3rd birthday (about 3 weeks after.) My son was about 7 wks. old when she potty learned and I was just now starting cloth full time with him (selling off her stash to add to his, LOL.) I don't think its ever too late to start. It definately saved us money while we were preparing for our new baby.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote