Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
KiMayaMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

I'm a non vaxer like you and I think it's sad.

Advertisement

KiMayaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneylue+2
They just keep adding more and more vaccines. When is enough enough?
A VERY good question- I think as long as there's money (BIG money) to be made we'll see additions to the schedule

On the OT, I think these additions are unnecessary- especially HPV at age 10, and lets vax older kids to protect the younger ones, a few more won't hurt them , think most colleges have an additional menigitis booster required (less exemptions of course) within a certain number of years of enrolling- so age 11 doesn't seem to be doing much, except forcing most to get another booster which intern of course makes the manufacturer more money!
beanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #13
A'smommy
Registered Users

No, but you could probably find them on the CDC's website. I downloaded them all at one point, along with the FDA's list of "what's in it" (whether to believe their list of ingredients or not is another issue I think).

Yeah, I've heard a lot about the HPV vaccine, but who knows how effective it is? Since most kids get oral HPV "nonsexually in childhood" (from sharing mouthed toys, pacifiers, etc...you know how they slobber on everything), who's to say the vax would even offer any protection? No one knows for sure if oral HPV and genital HPV are mutually contagious. But most people have oral HPV anyway (cold sores) and from what I've read, the virus tends to flare up and go dormant in long, long cycles. So the 3 year old with a cold sore is likely to be the 13 year old with cold sores. (Just about the time kids starting "dating" and kissing in junior high, spreading it even more.)

My attitude is "wait and see". DD is young enough that hopefully by the time comes to make a decision there'll be a lot more evidence--one way or another.
--K
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by annes_cottage
Same here! That makes me very mad!!! 10 yrs old!! Rediculous!!!!
This is how I feel! I must bite my tong though because I tried to say more than what I did and it came out very mean. 10 year olds should not be having sex, and if they are a vax isn't going to help them!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

If they will allow for people to refuse medical treatment for religious reasons, then they can't get rid of the religious exemption for vax's. I'm with keegansmom, I would homeschool before I'd do vax's.

I agree, vaxing for an STD at age 10? That's lovely. When my Ped told me about that vax, I laughed out loud at her and told her thanks for the info, but I wasn't going to vax my 5 yr old (or my others) for Hep A. Ever. Over my dead body.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
christi2705
Registered Users
seller

We pretty much vax on schedule (with the exception of MMR and CP). But I won't be giving my 10 yr old child an HPV or Meningitis vax!

I understand the link between HPV and cancer but I see no reason for a 10 yr old to get it! And 98% of meningitis is viral anyway.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dont think they are doing these vaccines for kids that may have sex at 10 or 11, but they might be seeing a rise in adults that have it and may be trying to get a handle on it before it gets out of control. You have to wonder when will they come out with a vaccine for hiv and if you would get it for you kids would it be better to give it to them or with hold it from them I think if it were all about government making money off of the vaccines they would have one that was said to defend againts hiv ppl would be flocking to the drs offices for it. just my thoughts please dont everyone yell at me at once
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #18
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi2705
And 98% of meningitis is viral anyway.
Meningitis is a fancy word for polio. I asked my doc about that and my best friend is a nurse and she said the same thing.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #19
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33
dont think they are doing these vaccines for kids that may have sex at 10 or 11, but they might be seeing a rise in adults that have it and may be trying to get a handle on it before it gets out of control. You have to wonder when will they come out with a vaccine for hiv and if you would get it for you kids would it be better to give it to them or with hold it from them I think if it were all about government making money off of the vaccines they would have one that was said to defend againts hiv ppl would be flocking to the drs offices for it. just my thoughts please dont everyone yell at me at once
No yelling here, but you made an interesting point.

I wouldn't get an HIV vaccine for my child. I would wait until my child was at a sexually active age and discuss it with her/him and let her/him be part of the decision. But that's just me. I'm sure you are right - sadly, people would flock.

The HPV vaccine does not need to be administered at 10 or 11 to be effective. It can be administered into young adulthood. I think people are simply suggesting that there is a more appropriate age than 10 to administer a vaccine for an STD.
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33
Personally I would not give dd a vax for hiv. HIV is a preventable disease that requires nothing but knowledge and education to prevent. DD will have this info and it should be all she needs. IMO vax give a false sense of security. Viruses mutate, always have and always will. There are still people that get things they are vaxed for and to have people thinking they could never get HIV could be potently devastating.