Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #21
mum0fthr33
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

It is preventable but if they would go in to the healthcare field a needle prick is no fault of their own could lead to hiv a friend at school injured in a sports or playground injury that has hiv one scarry thought blood brother or blood sisters (finger prick with the same needle) that scares me to death in adulthood rh negitave women get the rogram shot its a blood bi product and you have to sign a waver because the risk of getting hiv is small but you can still get it there are other ways of getting hiv its not just a std I honestly would have to think hard before getting it or turning it down

Advertisement

Last edited by mum0fthr33; 08-14-2006 at 12:10 PM.
mum0fthr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #22
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33
It is preventable but if they would go in to the healthcare field a needle prick is no fault of their own could lead to hiv a friend at school injured in a sports or playground injury that has hiv one scarry thought blood brother or blood sisters (finger prick with the same needle) that scares me to death in adulthood rh negitave women get the rogram shot its a blood bi product and you have to sign a waver because the risk of getting hiv is small but you can still get it there are other ways of getting hiv its not just a std I honestly would have to think hard before getting it or turning it down
Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

My question would be: with over 100 (yes, 100) forms of HPV, which of these would be prevented by the vax? There is just no way in heck all of them could be.

By adulthood, 60% of U.S. citizens have been exposed to *at least one of* these forms. But 30% of adult females do NOT have cervical cancer and 30% of males do not have urinary tract/reproductive tract cancer. Which forms of HPV are related to cancer? Of these, which are covered by the vaccination?

When you figure all this in, there is NO WAY IN HECK that one vaccine is going to prevent the spread of HPV, and certainly not the development of cancer.

HPV can be warts, or not warts; cold sores, or not cold sores; live throughout the body or mostly in one small area; active or dormant. This one vaccine covers all those forms?

Doubt it.........

And calling it "the cancer virus" is NUTS. That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. That's a leap if I've ever heard one. Repeated bronchitis can eventually lead, over the years, to emphysema. Should drug manufacturers start marketing bronchitis medication as "emphysema preventers"?

The whole thing is so ridiculous.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #24
Marielblewis
Registered Users

My Mood:

There ARE over 100 forms of HPV, but only a few forms are known to develop into cervical cancer. These are the strains that are addressed in the vaccination. The recommendation for vacinating at ten is because that is the age when several other vaccines require "boosters" and also because the idea is to vaccinate before the child becomes sexually active, and at 10 kids are not sexually mature. 60% of adults between 20-40 have HPV, and because there are no symptoms and it passes through the very thin skin of the gentials and mouths, it is very difficult to prevent with education and behavior modification (although this is very effective with many other STDs). Most strains of HPV are more or less harmless, but some strains cause genital warts, others cervical cancer (these are the ones being vaccinated against) and a select few will cause warts in the throats of children born vaginally to an infected mother. I think as vaccines go, this is a legitimate vaccine that will provide real protection from the HPV strains that cause cervical cancer. Of course, it is still a vaccine and the same safety and health questions that many of us have about other vaccines definately apply to this one also.

Side note- it is unlikely that there will ever be a vaccine for HIV because the virus mutates so quickly that by the time the vaccine is produced the structure of the virus being spread is different than the structure of the virus being vaccinated against. HPV also mutates, but amazingly slowly.
Marielblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #25
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

I'm not in favor of making kids get vax's for STD's - I much prefer to teach my children the truth about sex, the risks thereof, and God's plan for sex to be between a husband and wife.

However, as far as the age thing, I think if you think kids aren't having sex at REALLY young ages, you are kidding yourself. When my husband was doing his ob/gyn rotation during med school he was shocked at how many little girls he had as patients who were sexually active. It's standard procedure to ask anyone 12 or older whether they are sexually active to know whether they need to be tested for STD's or pregnancy.

I looked up some stats. In 1995, 4% of males and 3% of females had had sex BEFORE AGE 13! It's even higher for blacks - 14% of black males and 13% of black females under age 13 were sexually active. 50% of kids under age 17 had had sex. By age 19, 83% of males and 70% of females had. As someone who was 22 and married before I had sex, this blows me away.

The most recent data I found was in 2004, 6% of females and 8% of males under age 14 had had sex. That's a LOT of - what I considder - little kids. So age 10 for the vax doesn't seem so off to me, though I'm against making it required.

And, as an aside, the HPV vax does target those strains responsible for a majority of cervical cancers.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #26
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

So then where does it end? How many vaxes are "enough"?

Just curious.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 AM   #27
clothluvinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum0fthr33
ita ppl seem to forget its not *only* an std that you can get it other ways as well, i think i'd do it if i had the opportunity better to be safe than sorry imo but i do vax my kiddos
Old 08-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #28
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothluvinmom
better to be safe than sorry
That's how we non-vaxers feel about vaxes. We'd rather be safe from doing perm. damage to our children than to have rhem vaxed against things that they may never get and wouldn't kill them, anyway.
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #29
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
That's how we non-vaxers feel about vaxes. We'd rather be safe from doing perm. damage to our children than to have rhem vaxed against things that they may never get and wouldn't kill them, anyway.
AMEN SISTA! People don't seem to understand until their child is damaged by vax's. That was me, just as recent as last year, I didn't believe it would damage until it happened to us. Now I wish I would have listened to friends who warned me over and over again
Old 08-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #30
Dorky_Mom
Registered Users

are you sh*tting me.. theyre giving a vax for STDs to kids!! OMMFG!!! thats nuts. but I guess whatever...
but... I would like to add........

You can get HPV from more than just sex.
there are more than 100 forms of it and only about 40 come from having intercourse. I have done a lot of research on it because I have it.

Just thought id let ya know.

breast feeding baby wearing cloth diapering attached momma
Dorky_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote