Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 AM   #11
hollyday27's Avatar
hollyday27
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 7,034
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

See original post for added...

Advertisement

__________________
Creator of Milk Pendants. ☮
myWares . myBlog . myEtsy . myPBfsot
mama . obv wipes/wetbags . photography . sizzix . misc
~always ISO Amazon & iTunes GCs~
hollyday27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
momto3Es's Avatar
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,675
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyday27 View Post
ETA: I in know way meant that we were going to skimp on the carseat deal, just wanted to clear this up. I simply didn't know when the appropriate age was, but I plan to keep them in carseats for as long as possible. Some of you thought that I was going to skimp on the carseat deal, and that simply isn't the case, I was just curious on the age/weight requirements. Never even seen a booster seat IRL so I have no idea how they work and are not a harnessed seat. We will just plan on getting another convertable seat for the baby. Love our carseat for the toddler, I think it's a Cosco? Anyways, don't think I'm a Brittney Spears driving with my babies not is a seat! This simply wasn't what I meant!

We have a convertible carseat for DS1, and the baby is in a infant seat, but he is SO heavy and he is starting to be too long for his seat at 5mos (he's 20lbs too). So we were thinking about getting a carseat for the baby now, but at what age/size do they go in a booster seat?

I'm thinking that if DS1 is able to go in a booster seat it would be cheaper to just get him a seat and the baby uses his convert. carseat, KWIM? Then what happens if we have another kid, do people actually drive around with 3 carseats, LOL? We'd def. need a bigger car in that case! No room for passengers as it is now, but that's kind of good in a way.
Here's my suggestion. If you aren't practicing extended RF with your oldest, go look at a seat like the Safety 1st Apex 65, Graco Nautilus, Britax Regent, or a HWH convertible seat.

4 years & 40 lbs is the ABSOLUTE minimum a child should be in a booster. It's is best practice to keep kids harnessed as long as possible.
__________________
Suzi - CPS Tech mommy to my 3 Es - Emmit (3.19.04) & Evangeline "Evie" (2.28.06) and Emory (1.22.09)
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
House of Blue's Avatar
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,856
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

I just got two Evenflo Boleros for my 3/12 year old twins. They harness to 47 lbs and convert to a booster. I REALLY love this seat. Easy to install and use, loads of room for the boys and they are very comfortable, even on long car rides. I also love that you can adjust the harness easily every time you buckle them in. And the price is VERY right $120 at Wal Mart.

The only thing is that I'm sot sure it will harness to 47 lbs in the US?? I always get confused b/c harness restrictions are so different in Canada. It's a seat worth looking up if you can't spend the money on an expensive seat.

My 16 month old is rear facing in an Alpha Omega, I can only keep him RFing in that seat until 30 lbs (which ticks me off b/c the same seat and RF to 35 lbs in the US ) I like Evenflo Bolero enough I may buy a 3rd and move DS at 30 lbs from the Alpha Omega to the Bolero.

http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Evenflo-Bolero
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
momto3Es's Avatar
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,675
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Blue View Post
I just got two Evenflo Boleros for my 3/12 year old twins. They harness to 47 lbs and convert to a booster. I REALLY love this seat. Easy to install and use, loads of room for the boys and they are very comfortable, even on long car rides. I also love that you can adjust the harness easily every time you buckle them in. And the price is VERY right $120 at Wal Mart.

The only thing is that I'm sot sure it will harness to 47 lbs in the US?? I always get confused b/c harness restrictions are so different in Canada. It's a seat worth looking up if you can't spend the money on an expensive seat.

My 16 month old is rear facing in an Alpha Omega, I can only keep him RFing in that seat until 30 lbs (which ticks me off b/c the same seat and RF to 35 lbs in the US ) I like Evenflo Bolero enough I may buy a 3rd and move DS at 30 lbs from the Alpha Omega to the Bolero.

http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Evenflo-Bolero
The Bolero only goes to 40 lbs in the US. Our new great option is the Graco Nautilus for $150 at WM. It harnesses to 65 & converts to a booster.
__________________
Suzi - CPS Tech mommy to my 3 Es - Emmit (3.19.04) & Evangeline "Evie" (2.28.06) and Emory (1.22.09)
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #15
House of Blue's Avatar
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,856
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

That sucks the Belero doesn't harness to 47 in the US It's really a fantastic seat.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #16
momto3Es's Avatar
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,675
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by House of Blue View Post
That sucks the Belero doesn't harness to 47 in the US It's really a fantastic seat.
It is a great seat. We had the Generations (Bolero w/more padding) and loved it!
__________________
Suzi - CPS Tech mommy to my 3 Es - Emmit (3.19.04) & Evangeline "Evie" (2.28.06) and Emory (1.22.09)
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
sahminaz's Avatar
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,070
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Holly. Knowledge is power. Its a good thing you asked instead of just assumed like so many do. Its obvious that you care a great deal about your children and want them to be safe.
sahminaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #18
pigletmsu's Avatar
pigletmsu
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

I think it's important to note that all of the PPs are sharing their OPINION on when it's okay to use a booster. But LEGALLY and according to the info printed on boosters, a booster car seat is for children ages 3 to 10 years old, from 30 to 100 lbs and between 38 and 57 inches. YES, I agree it's best to harness as long as possible and I just bought my DS-4 a Radian to reharness him after reading all the info on extended harnessing. But LEGALLY you do not have to harness that long.
__________________
Lisa-- Married since 6/02 Mom to DS-10/03 , DD-6/05 , and DD-8/07 (so far)
pigletmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #19
momto3Es's Avatar
momto3Es
Registered Users
Formerly: momto2Es
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,675
My Mood:
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletmsu View Post
I think it's important to note that all of the PPs are sharing their OPINION on when it's okay to use a booster. But LEGALLY and according to the info printed on boosters, a booster car seat is for children ages 3 to 10 years old, from 30 to 100 lbs and between 38 and 57 inches. YES, I agree it's best to harness as long as possible and I just bought my DS-4 a Radian to reharness him after reading all the info on extended harnessing. But LEGALLY you do not have to harness that long.
Actually in my state (Louisiana), LEGALLY the child has to be 4 years old AND 40 lbs in a FF child restraint. Ages 4-6 (65 lbs) have to be in a booster.
__________________
Suzi - CPS Tech mommy to my 3 Es - Emmit (3.19.04) & Evangeline "Evie" (2.28.06) and Emory (1.22.09)
momto3Es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #20
Irishmommy's Avatar
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: south Texas
Posts: 2,544
Re: ETA! When do they go in a booster seat?

We just got my dd a new Evenflo Triumph Delux (I think that is what it is ). It harnesses up to 50 lbs. I had my 6.5 yo sit in it to check the height and he fit great (he now weighs 48lbs and is finally going into his high back booster).
__________________
Shannon - Loving wife to my Navy man
Mommy to Noah 6.5, Caitlyn 2.5, and Aiden 2-28-08
and my two angels CL, and Emily JoAn b/d 5-14-2004
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.