Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Sawa1210
Registered Users

My Mood:
Glasses for 10 month old... Advice Needed!

My 10 month old needs glasses because she's far-sighted and has to focus really hard to see. If she doesn't wear the glasses she'll become cross-eyed and eventually develop a lazy eye.

I am desperate to get her to wear them because I've worn glasses my entire life bc of a lazy eye (so we see who she got this from).

Anyway, I've tried distracting her but she grabs them off every time. She's also a child that will rip her bib off like Hulk Hogan when she's annoyed with it... I've got my work cut out for me, I'm afraid.

I've been trying to go a different angle by showing her the glasses on her doll... and she has great fun putting them on her dolly and then off again... Do you think this eventually will work?? Short of pinning her arms down and putting the glasses on her (and then continuing to pin her arms down) doesn't sound like too much fun but I'm desperate to have her wear them! Anybody go through this?????

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Glasses for 10 month old... Advice Needed!

Do they have an elastic band or are they just regular glasses? If they are just regular glasses, no idea what to suggest other than getting an elastic band to hold them on.

Or, do you wear glasses? If not, see if you can get a pair without prescription lenses and start wearing them. Maybe if she sees that mommy has some they'll become cool and she won't fight it so much. (and yes, I see in your post it says glasses, but I didn't know if you meant you still wear them or if you wear contacts)
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
ahyderhgp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both my daughters had to wear glasses at an early age, although not that early (they were three-ish) We bought them ones with an extra ear piece, well not extra, but instead of a regular piece, this one wraps almost completely around the ear to hold them in place. It took them a few days to get used to, but they eventually let them be. Other than that, like the pp said, maybe the elastic piece? Seems kinda weird that your dr. wouldn't try to help you out with some suggestions before sending you home...good luck. Oh maybe if you make a really big deal out of it every time they are on? and keep practicing on the doll...hope I helped..
Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
katedanzer
Good things come in small packages
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kids both got glasses very early, E was 4 months and Genny was 7 mths. And no, neither of them kept them on. Well, at least not as babies.
Are you patching for the lazy eye? Patching really is a lot more effective then glasses at a young age. What kind of nose-piece does the glasses have? We got some imports for E from Germany, they have a solid nose-piece and fit him a lot better. He still whips them off his face any second he gets, but if he's distracted and he has your full attention he will leave them on w/o screaming.
I know not much help, my oldest DD didn't start "really" wearing her glasses until she was about 18 months. I would talk to your opthamologist, I was always instructed to push the patching and not worry about the glasses so much at that age and both of my kids have really bad lazy eyes & are significantly visually impaired

Last edited by katedanzer; 01-15-2008 at 01:43 AM.
katedanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 AM   #5
lirumlarum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little Levi is also severely visually impaired and had to start wearing glasses the day he turned three month old. I guess I don't have much good advice because he took them off and played with them any time he could, until he was about 20 m old and realized they actually help him see better. Like the previous poster said, get the solid plastic nosepiece, they should be more comfortable. Even if you only get het to wear them for a couple of min utes here and there throughout the day, that still helps and it will help her get used to them eventually. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 AM   #6
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No advice here as ds1 has a lazy eye and is far sighted and we have been trying to get him to wear his glasses since July and hes over 2. Were on our 3rd pr for him, the wrap around ear piece doesnt work, me wearing my glasses doest work, he will not wear them for us, but yet my friend watches him whenneeded and hell out them on ant not touch them when with her.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Coriannder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son wears glasses too. Same things as PPs...lazy eye and bad eyesight. I was devasted when they told me he needed glasses since it was such a shock, we had no idea. He's teachers were suprised too at how bad his eyes turned out to be. He NEVER let on how he couldn't see. But, there are worse conditions my child could have and therefore I have put it into perspective and am very thankful that he's healthy otherwise...it's only glasses.

We were told to make a book, doesn't have to be fancy, of people who your child knows that wears glasses. Take pictures of them and put them in an album or three ring binder. Talk about how "Uncle Bob wears glasses..." etc.

Have you tried putting them on her while she is alseep? If she is on her back and you can slip them on her before she wakes up sometimes they take some time to notice they are on since they don't see the act of you putting them on.

With my son, if we would praise him it would draw attention to them and he would take them off. So although praise works for some kids, my child it just drew more attention to them and off they came.

I would just gently prompt her hands down everytime she tried to grab at them. And simply say "hands down", keep your language simple and distract her with another toy. Don't go on and on about how she needs her glasses to see and she needs to leave them on and yadda yadda yadda. With my son, all the explaining why he need glasses and why he needed to leave them on was lost since it was so much language. We would talk about how he needed glasses when he wasn't trying to take them off. We talked about how his eyes need them to feel better when we were looking at the photos of people who wear glasses.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Coriannder; 01-15-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: added a little more suggestions
Coriannder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My DS started wearing his glasses at 11 mos and I used the solid nosepiece ones w/ the wrap around ear feature AND I made him a hat holder for them....

he loved hats so I put some elastic loops on his hats where the ear piece would be and we would slide the glasses through the loops....if he took the glasses off he took the hat off and then he was unhapppy....
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Sawa1210
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriannder View Post
My son wears glasses too. Same things as PPs...lazy eye and bad eyesight. I was devasted when they told me he needed glasses since it was such a shock, we had no idea. He's teachers were suprised too at how bad his eyes turned out to be. He NEVER let on how he couldn't see. But, there are worse conditions my child could have and therefore I have put it into perspective and am very thankful that he's healthy otherwise...it's only glasses.
We too, were devastated when we got the news... but we've since realized that there are far worse things that could've happened and if this is the only thing that is the matter, we are still very lucky and blessed.

Both DH and I wear glasses, and from a early age she's had a fascination with them. Both my parents wear glasses also, and all the grandparents. So I think we're lucky in that aspect because she's not the oddball out.

Not that this is a good thing, but it's comforting to hear that my child isn't the only one that rips her glasses off. I most def. will try not to give her praise, it made sense and the few times she has left them on we have given her praise and she's ripped them right off.

Her glasses do have the ear piece that wraps around her ear, but not the one piece nose like ppl mentioned... we had a circus act even getting these glasses... for her next pair we are going elsewhere.

I am going to try and whip up a little elastic band during naptime, I never considered something like that.

Thank you so much for all the advice and encouragement... It's so nice to realize that I'm not alone in this!!
Sawa1210 is offline   Reply With Quote