Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Meningitis exposure

So, I guess this is a good place to ask since alot of you don't vax and may have had to deal with this before. I have just learned tonight that a guy who goes to my church, after being sick for a week, has finally been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. My kids were around him 2 weeks ago. 2 out of my 3 have been vaxed for it already but the baby hasn't yet.

Should I hurry up and vax her? Is it too late already even if I did get her the vax? Do I just hope for the best that she'll be okay despite this boy's mom holding her 2 weeks ago? Rah!

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Meningitis exposure

Vaxing her now won't do anything at all. And even your vaxed kids are at risk seeing as there are so many different types. The current meningitis vax is not very efficient, likely the boy who had the case was vaxed anyways. I would talk to your kids doctor right now and see if there is any kind of preventative you can do, if not just watch them closely, of course.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

No advice, just and hoping for the best over here!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OOPS!!! Editing. I originally said "bacterial meningitis and viral meningitis are not the same. Viral is contagious. Bacterial is not." and I was misstaken. When my son had meningitis (which put him in a comatose state) he had a rare form of bacterial meningitis (and sepsis too, and he caught rotovirus in the ER where he sat dying for 16 hours.. but I digress) they told me I couldn't catch it from him. I had beased my original statement on personal experience. Google says the other mothers here are correct. The infections that typically cause meningitis are in fact contagious. I am *VERY* sorry for the original post. It was not my intent to spread misinformation.

Last edited by geckoed; 01-15-2008 at 10:04 AM.
geckoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
bacterial meningitis and viral meningitis are not the same. Viral is contagious. Bacterial is not.
I beg to differ. Bacterial is EXTREMELY contagious. How do I know this? Because my son almost died from it. My son had neiserria meningidis (sp?) and he contracted it from a corpsman in the Navy who had taken care of a Meningitis patient. She did not get it but was a carrier for it. She then gave it to my son by coughing all over him.

Also they tell ANYONE who has been in contact with someone who has had bacteral meningitis to get a prophylactic immediately; Rocephrin typically.

Viral is typically not as contagious as Bacterial. Viral may not kill you as fast and horribly either but it still can depending on the strain you get.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If she hasn't come down with it yet, she more than likely won't. The time it takes for it pop up from exposure it from 3-10 days. If your DD was exposed she would have had symptoms by now.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
amanda1188
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
BlsdMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabelle05 View Post
I beg to differ. Bacterial is EXTREMELY contagious.
Viral is typically not as contagious as Bacterial.
I would agree with this. If it were me, I would call my ped and let her know your baby has had more than a little exposure and close contact to bacterial meningitis and ask what you can do proactively. I think there is a drug for those exposed? Hib is the only vaccine we DO do in the first year for exactly this reason. I'm not scared of measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, etc., but meningitis scares me... A lot.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
maryjane
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlsdMama View Post
I would agree with this. If it were me, I would call my ped and let her know your baby has had more than a little exposure and close contact to bacterial meningitis and ask what you can do proactively. I think there is a drug for those exposed? Hib is the only vaccine we DO do in the first year for exactly this reason. I'm not scared of measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, etc., but meningitis scares me... A lot.

I'm terrified of meningitis. My cousin nearly died from it when we were children. She was quarantined in the hospital for I don't remember how long and we didn't think we'd ever see her again. There have been around 5 cases near me in the last 4 months. That's one vaccine that we do without question. I know it isn't 100% but it gives me some sense of wellbeing.
maryjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
pigletmsu
Registered Users

Apparently I forgot? that the Hib vax prevents some strains of meningitis. Seems like a momma who selectively vaxes and spaces would remember this??? Oh well. Either way my baby did get her first 2 Hib shots already and there's not much more I can do than that. Guess there was a reason after all for me to get her this one vax.

My DH got meningitis almost 4 yrs ago and I've been scared enough of it ever since to fully vax against it.