Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #1101
MotherOf5
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Oklahoma Mamas, check in here!!

Hi Mamas! I just started using cloth in the last month with child #5 (I'm a late bloomer.) I'm in Norman too. I'm using pre-folds and Bummis Whisper Wraps right now, but I just got some AIO's in the mail today. I will try them out as soon as I've washed them. They are Kushies. I did a search to see what people thought of them here, and found this thread instead. Nice to know I'm not the only Okie here.

Advertisement

MotherOf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #1102
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi motherof5! I used kushies when I first started cding. They are good, especially for the price. The fit can be wonky depending on your lo.

Summerland, we are setting something up for Sat Nov 14th. The mama hosting this time lives in MWC. Would you be able to come?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #1103
MotherOf5
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecryan View Post
Hi motherof5! I used kushies when I first started cding. They are good, especially for the price. The fit can be wonky depending on your lo.
I'm still learning here. So far, I've used prefolds and Bummis wraps and now Kushies as soon as they are washed. I'm going slowly and trying not to spend too much until I figure out what I like and don't like. Baby #5 was a bit of a surprise and all her siblings are older and in school all day. So eventually I might be interested in meeting up for playdates too. That is if you don't mind an "old" mama. (I'm 37 and resented my "advanced maternal age" label throughout my pregnancy.)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #1104
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ha! I am 32, so you are not old by any means! The other mamas in the group are in their 20's. We can be old together.

LMK what you would like to try because I have several different types of cds. Also, I just started making fleece soakers and longies. I would love to make some for you just for the cost of the material ($2ish).
Old 11-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #1105
MotherOf5
Registered Users

My Mood:

OK, is this where I ask what the benefits of longies and fleece soakers are? I did make myself some fleece liners for my prefolds at the suggestion of a friend. I know what they are in pictures, I just don't know that much else about them. I warned you, I'm really new at this.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #1106
MotherOf5
Registered Users

My Mood:

Just letting my Okie cding friends know that I added a picture of my 5 kids as my avatar. I'm more than a little proud of all of them and wanted to show them off today.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #1107
aecryan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherOf5 View Post
OK, is this where I ask what the benefits of longies and fleece soakers are? I did make myself some fleece liners for my prefolds at the suggestion of a friend. I know what they are in pictures, I just don't know that much else about them. I warned you, I'm really new at this.
Fleece has two uses. When used as a liner in a diaper, it pulls moisture away from the skin. I use a fleece liner at night to protect Jack's skin and wick moisture away. When fleece is used as a diaper cover, it creates a breathable moisture resistant barrier. Fleece, unlike pul, can get compression leaks but it is much better for the baby's skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherOf5 View Post
Just letting my Okie cding friends know that I added a picture of my 5 kids as my avatar. I'm more than a little proud of all of them and wanted to show them off today.
What a great crew you have there! I would be proud too.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:57 PM   #1108
scruffypuppy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fleece is a good starter option for when trying out something other than PUL. I really like wool but that can get expensive. It has the added advantage of being able to "breathe" a bit more and is an all natural fiber. It is fussier than fleece though (hand washing). Nothing wrong with fleece though! Between me and Amy, I think we have tons of diapers and lots of choices and both of us are more than happy to help you find your "stash nirvana".

On another note, Ian's trainers are done! I just got the shipping notice yesterday. I can't wait till they get here.
scruffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #1109
MotherOf5
Registered Users

My Mood:

[QUOTE=aecryan;8825238]Fleece has two uses. When used as a liner in a diaper, it pulls moisture away from the skin. I use a fleece liner at night to protect Jack's skin and wick moisture away. When fleece is used as a diaper cover, it creates a breathable moisture resistant barrier. Fleece, unlike pul, can get compression leaks but it is much better for the baby's skin.
[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffypuppy View Post
Fleece is a good starter option for when trying out something other than PUL. I really like wool but that can get expensive. It has the added advantage of being able to "breathe" a bit more and is an all natural fiber. It is fussier than fleece though (hand washing). Nothing wrong with fleece though! Between me and Amy, I think we have tons of diapers and lots of choices and both of us are more than happy to help you find your "stash nirvana".
Thanks ladies! I am definitely noticing a difference now that I'm using fleece liners. I've used one Kushie today and I think my DH liked it enough he might use those. (He's a little nervous about the Snappi. He doesn't want to hurt the baby. So I've been doing cloth changes and he will change disposables which we still use at night and when we are out for several hours. We're starting slow here, I know.) I've seen pictures of fleece covers and longies and I think they are both adorable, especially the longies.

Thanks for the compliment on the picture. While I will never match her numbers, I do understand the pride in Michelle Duggar's voice when she says she "delivered ALL of them" because that's how I feel when I see that picture.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 PM   #1110
scruffypuppy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh I forgot to add earlier that to not worry about your age, I am 29, and I am sure you will fit in just fine. If you want to see some wool in person, I know that Amy, Em, and I all have some, so perhaps the next playdate (I always have to do a wool inventory after Em leaves to make sure its all still there, hehehe! I'm kidding, but Em really does rifle through my drawers of wool for the boys)...

I finally broke down about two months ago and started using disposables at night time, don't feel ashamed about it. There are lots of CD'ing moms that do.
scruffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote