Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #1181
RachelC
Registered Users
seller

Re: Oklahoma Mamas, check in here!!

Hi Oklahoma mamas, I may be moving to Muskogee next month. Anyone on here from that area?? We are desperately trying to find some information on rental properties and some nice neighborhoods and can't find anything online that provides pictures.

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #1182
LizTurner
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hi everyone! I just found this thread after lurking around DS for the past few weeks. We are in Tulsa, and just started cloth diapering with our third (4 months old). Are there any playgroups in the Tulsa area?
LizTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #1183
jessesgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: jesses
seller

My Mood:

What part of Tulsa are you in, Liz? We're in Owasso! I've found the Owasso mommies club, but that seems to be about it...?

Visit Jaleigh Bean Bowtique on the WAHM boards! Also, visit my fan page!
jessesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #1184
mommahawk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi all! I'm in North Central Oklahoma...trying to decide on a midwife right now. Distance-wise, I could go with one from Tulsa or OKC. It's about the same distance, although I tend to be in OKC more often.
mommahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 PM   #1185
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahawk View Post
Hi all! I'm in North Central Oklahoma...trying to decide on a midwife right now. Distance-wise, I could go with one from Tulsa or OKC. It's about the same distance, although I tend to be in OKC more often.
I used Heaven Sent Births for my daughter's birth - they do prenatal care, postnatal care AND the birth for around $2300.... I planned a homebirth but ended up transferring to hospital and the midwives were with me at home and in the hospital until my daughter was born (43 hours of labour!!!!). They're in OKC...The price depends on how far away you are from the city.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #1186
tristens1mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
There are midwives at OU who are awesome. My BFF had a water birth there. I have another good friend who is a doula in Edmond and can recommend other awesome midwives. If you want her contact info, just LMK.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #1187
mommahawk
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatMama1990 View Post
I used Heaven Sent Births for my daughter's birth - they do prenatal care, postnatal care AND the birth for around $2300.... I planned a homebirth but ended up transferring to hospital and the midwives were with me at home and in the hospital until my daughter was born (43 hours of labour!!!!). They're in OKC...The price depends on how far away you are from the city.
Thanks for the info! Actually, Heaven Sent is the only one that I've contacted so far! She said it would be $2400 to my house. So, it sounds like you had a really good experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristens1mom View Post
There are midwives at OU who are awesome. My BFF had a water birth there. I have another good friend who is a doula in Edmond and can recommend other awesome midwives. If you want her contact info, just LMK.
My sister is a baby doc at OU, so I'm a little familiar with the midwives there. I'm hoping to have a homebirth this time around. I saw that there is a midwife in Edmond, but can't really find any info on her. Edmond would be about 20 minutes closer to me than Heaven Sent (good thing since I have three LO's at home), so I thought about calling her and asking for recommendations for herself. Oh, I can't think of her name right now, though...But, I would love to get your friend's contact info, if you don't mind. Thanks so much, ladies!!
mommahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM   #1188
ExpatMama1990
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Actually, Heaven Sent is the only one that I've contacted so far! She said it would be $2400 to my house. So, it sounds like you had a really good experience?
If you want a home birth and just to be able to get on with it, with no interference, then I'd really recommend the MWs at Heaven Sent - Margarett and Anne came to check in on me a few times and then Margarett ended up coming out through the night (at like 1am and 5am) because I was having horrible back labour...she rubbed my back and told me I was doing and good job and so on and really supported me. Then when I ended up transferring to hospital, she rang ahead and met us at the hospital and stayed with me, providing me with info and opinions on what the drs were suggesting, she also got me transferred to MW care in OU as I had automatically been put under OBGYNs (they were talking about a C-Section as soon as I arrived!!! ) she stayed for a while before going home because she was so tired (don't you just love long labours?) and has kiddos of her own....Anne then came in a short while later (I had a rest with an epidural) and she was there until my daughter was born, providing me with basically a doula service - she and my hubby were holding my hands while I was pushing....

The prenatal care was also excellent - I really dislike being told what to do (started off with an OBGYN and felt like a naughty schoolgirl every time I went for a check up!) and they just provide you with information so you can decide what you want to do - it's your responsibility to stay healthy (eating well and so on) so you have a healthy pregnancy and they will just give you the options you have and encourage you to do the best you can for you and your baby. Margarett gave me an examination (down there ) one time because I wasn't sure if I had a yeast infection or just horrible swelling towards the end of my pregnancy and she was SO respectful - asking me if it was okay to touch and telling me what she was doing.... I actually felt like I was respected as a person, rather than a patient, iykwim?

The MWs at OU are lovely also, but I would have preferred to birth at home and appreciated having Margarett there to inform me when I had to make choices in the hospital, so next time I'll be going with HSB again if I have a healthy pregnancy again...even if I get transferred to hospital again (hopefully not though!! ) I'd like to have the ladies there.... OU is a great hospital though!! I hate hospitals and really did not want to end up in one, but OU was my first choice (that's where HSBs transfer to if the need arises) and I don't regret it.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #1189
mogharris
Registered Users

Hey Oklahoma moms! Just wanted to let you know that Oklahoma City has a brick and mortar cloth diaper and eco-baby store called Green Bambino. I opened it in March. I grew up in Oklahoma and we've been cloth diapering our son for more than two years now. We're here to help with any cloth diapering questions you may have. You can find us on Facebook, green-bambino.com or 405-848-2330. Hope to see you soon! - Morgan Harris, owner of Green Bambino.
mogharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:01 PM   #1190
cboytitan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My husband and I currently live in houston - but we are debating moving to NE OK - Pryor/Claremore area. I'm thinking about opening a cloth diaper store in the area. I need to research and see if any are around that area.

I plan on doing the CDing, as well as baby re-sale; and also maternity wear.

cboytitan is offline   Reply With Quote