Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best foward facing for TALL toddler?

I think it depends on $ and what you have planned for your new baby. IF possible I would opt for a smaller higher weight seat, like the Britax Marathon or Blvd, SK Radian 65 or Recaro Signo (preferably RF- sorry gotta throw that in there since it is safer). Once baby needs a different seat (be it growing out of the infant seat or Comfort Sport) THEN get ds a bigger seat like the Regent. That will give him time to grow and give baby the bigger seat (s)he will need too. The Regent is an excellent seat for keeping kids harnessed, but for one as little as 18 months it doesn't offer much sleep support or recline. It can work, but I think doing as above, IF possible, would be a better solution.

FWIW, my friend's very tall 5 y/o still fits fine in his Marathon. He's TALL, but all legs.

You can see older harnessed kids here:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx and
http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourne...mharnessed.htm

Advertisement

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #12
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceNzanesmom View Post
I think it depends on $ and what you have planned for your new baby. IF possible I would opt for a smaller higher weight seat, like the Britax Marathon or Blvd, SK Radian 65 or Recaro Signo (preferably RF- sorry gotta throw that in there since it is safer). Once baby needs a different seat (be it growing out of the infant seat or Comfort Sport) THEN get ds a bigger seat like the Regent. That will give him time to grow and give baby the bigger seat (s)he will need too. The Regent is an excellent seat for keeping kids harnessed, but for one as little as 18 months it doesn't offer much sleep support or recline. It can work, but I think doing as above, IF possible, would be a better solution.

FWIW, my friend's very tall 5 y/o still fits fine in his Marathon. He's TALL, but all legs.

You can see older harnessed kids here:
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFalbum.aspx and
http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourne...mharnessed.htm
While the idea of that is good I can not come up with the money for that. Buying what will wind up being 3 $250 carseats is just NOT going to happen. Two I can handle...when the new babe grows out of the comfortsport (which likely will take longer than DS) then she can get her own regent but I can't justify spending $250 on a marathon then $250 on a regent for DS then another $250 for another regent for DD....blek. Besides the fact that mine and DF car are pretty small and a marathon would NEVER fit rear-facing in his car ever...we had enough trouble trying to fit an infant seat in there rear-facing.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

What kind of car do you drive?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #14
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember tho, you're talking YEARS from now. If you buy a smaller higher weight seat now that's $250'ish. If you use the CS that will take most kids to 2'ish, so in 2-3 years from now ds would need a Regent (or whatever great seat is out by then). Then, baby uses the smaller higher weight seat for another 3-4 years. By then the seat is/is about expired. Baby gets a Regent. That's easily 5+ years from now. So, yes, in the very end it would cost more, but the $ would be VERY spread out and each child has the best seat at the time they need it.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
What kind of car do you drive?
I drive an old subaru legacy...DF car is a newer Subaru STi and has barely any room in the back for anything...
Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
GBMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Remember Radians are convertible RF & FF and also fit birth to 65/80 lb!!! If you tend to have skinnier babies, go w/the 65 & just get the extra infant padding seperate. I think this offers the most versatility & would get the longest use for the $$$ for sure! Search the car-seat.org forums. There's tons of threads on the Radian as well as comparisons between the Radian & Blvd/Marathon.

ETA: I've seen Marathons RF in VERY tiny cars!!! We're talking old Rabbits & such! I think the front passenger seat may have been pushed forward, but you can talk to a CPS tech/instructor to get recommendations for your car as well. Usually they won't charge just to ask questions like that. They get paid for the installs.

FS/IHA:
EEUC Mutts, GM: NIP OBVs, New Amazon & MCZ, Bram. Rose, Rites of Spr., Cowboys, Cuddlebuns, SOS: EUC Knit & NIP OCV, Wool: SB'ish, Luxe, Recyc., Knitted

Last edited by GBMama; 01-15-2008 at 02:58 PM.
GBMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seems to be the Radian didn't install well in Outbacks, so not sure how it would install in other Subarus.

Yep, I've installed Marathons in very small cars. FF would fit much better than a Regent.