Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
hsmjmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Thinking of relocating to WA

We're currently living in AZ but are considering relocating to WA. I'm in Real Estate and DH is in manufacturing. I've just started researching areas and everything is pointing me towards Spokane. I like the mild(er) temperatures, compared to the rest of WA and I love the trees and all of the green that I see in the pictures! In AZ we have 95% desert so I don't want to see anymore cactus and dirt! Do any of you have suggestions outside of Spokane that are similar in the small area feel along with the beautiful landscaping? House prices also seem fairly reasonable in Spokane.

I'm just a little concerned with all of the things that keep coming up about the crime in Spokane. My husband also is a little hesitant because there seems to be a decent amount of work and the home prices are not too high, he feels there's a reason it's like this. Anybody have anything to add on these thoughts?

My current company has an office in Seattle but it seems very busy there and very expensive, are there any areas with the Spokane-feel within about 30 minutes from Seattle? Also, my husband's company has an office in Yakima. From what I can find, that's not a good area at all. Are there any areas within about 30 minutes from there that are good to live in? We have 5 children so we're looking at schools, along with crime rates, employment opportunity and decently prices homes (under 200k, if possible - 250k at most). Thank you so much in advance and I apologize for all of the rambling!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
I live in sw Washington

Yakima does have some not so good areas and is in the middle of no where

Spokane has more climates than the western part if the start. Cold cold winters with snow and then hot hot summers.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
leifsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thinking of relocating to WA

If you can, I recommend visiting. I know you are worried about the climate in other parts of WA, but I live on Whidbey Island and it is fairly mild, if you are ok with overcast days (which you will get anywhere on the coast). We get snow every few years, and some high winds in the fall and winter, but otherwise it is amazing (especially the summer; I remind myself that people pay money to vacation here). The job opportunities on the island aren't great...you'd be better off in Bellingham or Burlington, but obviously that's career-dependent.

Good luck with your search!
leifsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

The Spokane Valley I think has lower crime rates than Spokane proper. Liberty Lake and Otis Orchards are both nice and closer to the WA/ID state line. I live in Coeur d'Alene, which is about 45 minutes away from downtown Spokane. Supposedly my town has one of the highest crime rates in ID, but I've never felt unsafe here. I think Spokane is the same way. There are parts of town that should definitely be avoided, especially late at night, but overall it's a nice area.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
Ctang
Registered Users
seller

This is a really old thread, but I just wanted to say that there are lots of areas outside of Seattle that might fit your needs. I'm from the Midwest and I've found Issaquah, North Bend, Duvall areas to all have a very small town feel to them.
Ctang is offline   Reply With Quote