Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

comfort measures in labor??

please give me a few ideas on comfort measures during labor...

a doula that I am thinking about setting up an appt with wants me to attend a rebozo class that her friend is doing...I have never heard of this and am fixing to go goggle it...but wanted to see what yalls thoughts are on it AND anyother comfort measures...

my basic plan is to study up on a few...to be prepared...and then just use whatever works!! hehehe...i might be trying several or just be able to go with the first few!

so please don't hold back...give me the good, bad, and dirty of some different comfort measures during labor.

Advertisement

Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: comfort measures in labor??

i used a rebozo like this woman (from google) during pushing except my doula was holding either end ( like a U shape) and i was pulling on the middle. my arms were sore but it TOTALLY helped!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did sifting with a rebozo to help my babies turn vertex, but we never used it in labor. It could be nice, though!

Here are some of the things I have either used or heard of:
  • sitting on a birth ball
  • rice sock on your back or belly
  • standing and swaying
  • having your thighs jiggled by someone to loosen the muscles (this one was really helpful to me in my last labor)
  • being in the tub or shower
  • someone pressing on your back or pressing your hips together
  • hanging in a sort of a dangling position from your partner's neck or from something sturdy above you
Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I rejected the idea of using one during labor, but I sure do wish I hadn't. The squat bar was not in a good position for me and I think the rebozo would have made a difference!

I used ice packs, hot rice socks, massage (lotion, hands, and some little tools), changing positions, and having pressure put on my hips. The ice packs and rice sock annoyed me. The lotion and touching annoyed me at one point, but at other points they were good. My Doula took a diaper wipe and rubbed it all over me at one point because I felt dirty/sweaty. That was the best thing! Sounds weird. I had planned for a certain set of measures that I didn't actually like, but things change in labor!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I rejected the idea of using one during labor, but I sure do wish I hadn't. The squat bar was not in a good position for me and I think the rebozo would have made a difference!

I used ice packs, hot rice socks, massage (lotion, hands, and some little tools), changing positions, and having pressure put on my hips. The ice packs and rice sock annoyed me. The lotion and touching annoyed me at one point, but at other points they were good. My Doula took a diaper wipe and rubbed it all over me at one point because I felt dirty/sweaty. That was the best thing! Sounds weird. I had planned for a certain set of measures that I didn't actually like, but things change in labor!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

i used a rice sock for hours in early labor since my contractions felt a lot like strong period cramps it was very comforting. i did not like pressure on my back from hands but the birth center had this technologically advanced tool...3 tennis balls in a tube sock...that when rolled up and down my back were heaven! other than that i mostly held dh's hands, rocked back and forth and vocalized. constant verbal reminders to relax my face, unclench my hands, relax my shoulders, low pitched moans also dh put his hands on those places as tactile reminders as well. all bradley techniques.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Yelling. I did a lot of yelling. I wouldn't call it "vocalizing", I was yelling. "outoutoutoutOUTOUTOUT!!! " mostly.

We used a birthing tub but the active labor onset was so fast (after 4 days of stage 1 and a month of BH cx)... We couldn't get it hot enough. And LO was in a bad position. He was hitting nerves in such a way the water couldn't really help.

Digging knuckles hard into my low back helped. But what helped the most was listening to my midwives who believed that if I got out of the tub and tried this particular position, I'd deliver in no time... Wish I'd cooperated with that earlier. Pushing for 3+ hours sucked, but I was afraid it would hurt worse out of the tub and they didn't get firm with me till I started to get aggravated.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Rebozo is great I have used it in a couple of labors. Also I have used counter pressure in every labor I have attended and every mama liked it.
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
dreamingkristin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
The rice socks.... How did you get them warm again?? Was this at a hospital or home birth. I'm huge on warmth. And would love a tub... But the hospital has none and don't do waterbirths. And I have to be in the hospital as in high risk and we have no midwives within an hour drive.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my doula massaged my feet and played soothing music on her ipod during early labor (i was like 5cm dilated at that time). after that labor got hairy and nothing really provided comfort

massaging the lower back and taking a shower were great during my other natural labor and birth.

Good luck!!!!!

ETA: she also helped me not to "scream", but to try to do more low and calm sounds so as not to get too worked up during the bad contractions.

Last edited by steph410; 12-25-2011 at 06:40 PM.
steph410 is offline   Reply With Quote