Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did anyone NOT find out they were having twins until LATE pregnancy or delivery?

DH's grandfather is a twin, his twin brother passed away something like 10 years ago. Anyway, their mother had no idea that it was twins, which I guess wasn't uncommon in the 1920's. But they had listened to the h/b with a fetoscope plenty of times and there was never an indication of twins. She delivered DH's grandfather's brother and the midwife told her that there was another coming! So they laid him in the wood stove to keep him warm and delivered DH's grandfather. How crazy is that?!

Advertisement

cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #22
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Did anyone NOT find out they were having twins until LATE pregnancy or delivery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
I'm not sure about a ultrasound (did they even do them in '85? )
They did, but they were really poor quality. I was born in '83 and on my ultrasound I just look like an amorphous blob. No discernable parts or anything. I can't imagine what good they may have been for except maybe to say, "Yep, there's definitely a baby or a baby-shaped tumor in there."
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #23
TwinsMake9
Registered Users
seller

I have 2 sets of twins, the first set are 2 1/2 and the second set are 5 months now. I found out pretty early though!!

My my first set , DH kept saying it was twins as well and I thought soo too. My first US was at 5 weeks as the dr wanted to check early due to my MC previously. Well DH was with me and there was only 1 baby. I was a bit dissapointed. My next one was 2 weeks later and DH was at work. As soon as they put the doppler on my belly, there were 2!! I thought the dr was joking with me and possibly talked to DH prior.. I then had to tell DH there were 2 and he did not believe me either until he came home and seen the US picture!

The second set , I was convinced right away that there was more than 1 because I felt much worse than with the twins. I was soo worried it was going to be more than 2 due to how I felt. The dr did a us at 5 weeks and sure enough...2 babies again, I was relieved . My next US showed 3 babies 2 weeks later. They had me wait a month before the next one and by that time, one had dissapeared so we were back to twins. The dr thought possibly that was why I felt worse than before due to the hormones for 3.

They sure are such a blessing and alot of work I must say!!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #24
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only have minute, but I'll subscribe to this thread and come back to share my story.

I didn't find out until I 5 days before they born. I had NO indication until 31 weeks, and even then it was a mild suspicion. I think I was in denial, but I also had anterior placentas that hindered my ability to feel they move. Once they got bigger though I would feel movement by my left hip bone and upper rob cage at the same time which was odd for one baby, lol.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
laj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found out early on (10 weeks) that we were having twins, but even though everyone else suspected it from the beginning, I didn't think anything of it. It was my first pg, so I didn't have anything to compare it to, but I did start showing very early - I was in really good shape beforehand, so my expanding baby bump put me in mat clothes by 10 weeks. I was super tired and pretty nauseous, but I know many others who were worse with a singleton.

It was surprising enough to find out early on... I can't imagine how you'd feel if you only found out during the delivery.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #26
mom2my3monkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: kwasiborski
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsMake9 View Post
I have 2 sets of twins, the first set are 2 1/2 and the second set are 5 months now.
Wow! Multiple multiples! I feel so uneven with 3 kiddos and secretly desire a 4th.... but am totally freaked out thinking I could have YET ANOTHER set of twins. My boys are identical (which I attribute to my dh) but I would be an *older* mom with a set of twins already which puts me a higher risk for having another set.

Sorry, to hijack!

Please visit my Etsy Shops!
mom2my3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #27
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
They did, but they were really poor quality. I was born in '83 and on my ultrasound I just look like an amorphous blob. No discernable parts or anything. I can't imagine what good they may have been for except maybe to say, "Yep, there's definitely a baby or a baby-shaped tumor in there."
Ah... That might explain why they specifically thought it was "one big boy" instead of 2 little girls...
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:43 PM   #28
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I asked this same question about 3 months ago, lol! Turned out just to be one huge baby.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM   #29
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullhouse View Post
I asked this same question about 3 months ago, lol! Turned out just to be one huge baby.
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
Camellia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blessedmama View Post
I'm just curious...for anyone who did NOT find out early on (like, prior to 20 weeks) that they were having multiples (either no u/s by choice or 1st u/s really late in the game), did you have any indications throughout your pregnancy that it may be twins? Size? Amount of movement? Intuition? Palpation? etc... If you weren't going to have an u/s during the pregnancy, what prompted you to do it? (which would have been when you found out) And if you didn't know until delivery, how the heck did that happen? LOL
Ok, I'm back with some more details

I didn't measure ahead at ALL until 31 weeks. At that point it was only a couple of cm's. At 32 weeks, I was about cm's ahead. At this point, I later found out my MW had suspicions of twins but didn't say anything. She didn't want to alarm me as I was already fragile mentally due to major financial stress. I was stressing over bringing one more child into our family!

Finally, at 34 weeks I was measuring something like 43 cm's and went to an OB. Went back 3 days later and was 52 cm's. I got into a US the next day and sure enough, there were 2! I went into labor 5 days later and had them via c/s. They were both 5.5lbs.

Here they are now 2 at just over 2 years old:

Willow

Annie

And the pair