Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #21
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tracking & Insurance should be Requried on ALL DS Transactions!

I only do DC with purchases over 30 dollars or if I have told the buyer I am doing it. It's basically worthless imo. It doesn't mean the po is keeping track of your package, and if they loose the package it doesn't matter if you have dc or not. You're out the package. Sure, it shows that you sent it...but either way I bet you're going to have to eat some of the cost of it, right? If one of my packages was lost I would expect to probably have to give the buyer at least 1/2 of their money back. Sucks, but that's the way it is. I never say I'm going to get a confirmation unless it's a special circumstance, so my buyers shouldn't expect it. I think there would be a lot of irritated mamas on here if you said: This dipe is 11 dollars- plus 75 cents for dc. It's the same with ppl irritated over paying cc fees. I sell my diapers cheap because that's how I want to buy used things. I see ppl selling the same stuff for over 2 bucks more than I try to get out of them. I figure that's good enough. Just my opinion.

Advertisement

athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #22
ravenonyx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't give a rat's a@@ what PP rules are, frankly. They don't protect the people that get scammed when people wipe out their accounts, and they are a crock of sh!!.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #23
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i always use d/c on every package and I will insure packages $25 or more just in case it ends up lost i wont be out all the money and neither will my buye
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Tracking & Insurance should be Requried on ALL DS Transactions!

I DC all my pkgs. It is not tracking per say but it does pretty well at keeping track of each destination (not always up to date). I speak from experience when I say it does help to have it. A momma on here bought a wrap from me. I sent it first class with dc. It took over two weeks to get to her. Without the dc number the package would never have been able to be tracked and it would probably still be going round and round in the same po where it was located. They were then able to correct the problem and send it on its way.
For .65 cents extra for dc it is well worth it!!!! I do not buy insurance though unless I am sending something that is breakable/easily damaged, or expensive. I thought most packages anyway are insured up to a certain amount automatically anyway.?. Just my worth.
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #25
Distinctive Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: shandyms
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymomto5 View Post
I thought most packages anyway are insured up to a certain amount automatically anyway.?.
Nope, insurance has to be purchased. FedEx has automatic insurance up to a certain amount (or at least they used to when I was in the working world way back when).
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #26
tranmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a newbie seller, and I'm learning quite a bit as I go, having had to "eat" some of the shipping, myself. I chalk it up to learning.

What I have learned is that most buyers expect a DC #, so I started getting them. Not because I wanted them, but because the buyer wanted them. I know they aren't real tracking #s, but on the items I've purchased, I've appreciated being able to check usps website nightly, to see if the package I'm waiting for has been accepted or left the local post office. I'm a pretty impatient girl, and I like to know the day that my stuff is to be delivered! DC #s are .65 for priority items and .75 for parcel post and first class (if getting at the post office, which I do, instead of printing label online). I haven't been charging the buyer for the DC #, but not because I didn't think I should but because I always forget about it when quoting a shipping cost! Another thing I've learned is it's best (for me anyway) to prepare the package, weigh it here at home, and get a calculated shipping quote on the usps website. It worked for me on the last 2 packages I shipped. Just charged exactly what the postage was.

As for insurance, I've never really thought about it. I have never bought or sold anything of that much value. IF I bought something of high value, I'd ask for insurance, but I think I'd like it if the seller offered/reminded me of it. I'm a newbie at this buying and selling online stuff, and I would be really upset if I didn't get insurance on something I should have. If I were selling something of high value, I'd offer it to the buyer. My !
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
blessedwithprincessntwins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
You know, I have NO problem:

Taking a credit card payment
getting DC
getting insurance
getting signature confirmation
getting TRACKING via UPS

What I DO have a HUGE problem with is that EVERYONE expects the seller to eat it all. Where exactly is the buyer's responsibility in this?
I totally agree I sent out 25 cent books got dc and it never got t the buyer why am I responsible so because I got screwed over what is the post office's fault I did my part sent it in mail and also got dc I will charge insurance because I am forced to because I am expected to be responsible for what the post office does which I think is redictuless. I do agree if you spend $ you feel you don't want to chalk up asa buyer you should buy insurance but now b/c of one time deal. Buyers from me will have to buy insurance so it will be an extra $1.50 and I am sorrry I try to kep my costs low but really feel I have no other choice.
blessedwithprincessntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #28
jaimegrrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't really sold anything yet, but when I do trades, I always get DC! It's not even about protecting myself, but I do it out of courtesy for the buyer so that they can know that their package is on the way! I certainly appreciate when sellers use DC, and I wish that more people would do it! During the California wildfires last year, I had package sent to me from California, and it took several weeks to get here. Even though there was a large lapse in tracking information, when I checked and saw that it had finally made it to Ohio, it was a huge relief!
Starting the addiction all over again!! ISO: Grovia WOODLANDS print (shell or AIO), Swaddlebees/Blueberry DINO party and ELEPHANTS prints, Best bottoms HEDGEHOG cover/AIO, OBV wipes, Aden & Anais BOYish burpy bibs and swaddling blankets...
jaimegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 PM   #29
Hopper Graphics
Registered Users
Formerly:PurlyQ
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Im all about DC being manditory, but Ins is totally up to the buyer.
ITA!
Hopper Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #30
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenonyx View Post
You know, I have NO problem:

Taking a credit card payment
getting DC
getting insurance
getting signature confirmation
getting TRACKING via UPS

What I DO have a HUGE problem with is that EVERYONE expects the seller to eat it all. Where exactly is the buyer's responsibility in this?
because by the time I --as the seller-- buy all of that I make pennies on my sell