Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Crunchy-friendly pediatricians in Henry County area

Since there seem to be so many of us in this area now, I thought I'd ask about pediatricians. I've heard really good things about ABC Pediatrics (I think that's it) in Fayetteville but I'd really like to have someone closer. Right now we're using Kids First in Stockbridge and I love "our" doc and she's been really great about everything including no-vaxing but the other docs in that practice are not. Anybody have any other recommendations?

Advertisement

Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
whippoorwill
Registered Users
seller

Re: Crunchy-friendly pediatricians in Henry County area

I read on MDC that Heritage Family practice is good, but haven't tried it. I have considered using her for me. This is the link http://www.heritagefamilypractice.net/
I am interested in this, too. I currently drive to Boulevard in Atlanta and would like to be closer.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Im not sure since we vax!!!!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
AmandaMacK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well Locust Grove Pediatrics isn't that's for sure and Potts n Smith yelled at me for co-sleeping so I'm of no help.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well my dr agrees on the cosleeping and she loves that I breast feed and cloth diaper but dont know about the vaxing its tricounty pediatrics on eagles landing if you dont get anywhere else and want to check them out
Old 01-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...we're on an HMO right now so switching is a headache but I just wanted to ask around.

Kids First is pretty good. We always see Dr. Youngblood if we can. All the docs there are VERY pro-breastfeeding, in fact, when we started supplementing James with formula, I had to practically get down on my hands and knees and beg one of the other docs to give me some formula samples! They all love the CDs (Dr. Y even asked me where I buy them because another patient was wanting to switch and asked her about it). Dr. Y would always kind of roll her eyes when I talked about DJ sleeping with us and joke that he was "using" me or something but she coslept too so it was more of a joke than a judgement kind of thing. When I tell her that James is still eating during the night she just kind of laughs and tells him he needs to leave mommy alone and let her sleep, but again, it's just kind of a joke, not judgement like I've gotten from other doctors who say you need to "teach" them how to sleep through the night. When I started DJ on solids early, she just told me "you know you don't have to start him yet, right? You have to do what feels right to you and what works for your family." and that was the end of it. When we delayed solids with James, she was the same way. "You know it's ok to let him start eating any time now but if he's not ready, just do what you're comfortable with." A couple of the doctors in that practice are (IMO) a little quick to prescribe but I don't really feel that way about her. She knows me and she knows my boys well enough now that sometimes she'll give me a prescription and tell me to wait a couple of days and see if the problem resolves itself and just get the meds if I need them. Most of the time, she knows if I'm bringing them in, I'm to the point where I'm ready for her to "do something". When James was born, he had such respiratory problems and problems gaining weight, that we always felt he was too sick to get his vaxes at his well-baby visits. She always agreed that it was better to hold off for a little while. When he was about 9 months old, one of the nurses realized that he hadn't had any vaxes and tried to trick me into signing the consent. There was a huge blowup and I told Dr. Y that I wasn't sure yet if I wanted to vax or not (DJ was fully vaxed up to a year) but I just didn't feel comfortable doing it till we got the respiratory crud under control. She agreed and said we'd discuss it again at his 12 month checkup and I wouldn't have any more problems out of that nurse again. I haven't either! I took him for a sick visit one Saturday and had to see one of the other doctors. She asked me when his last well-baby visit was and I told her he was a little behind but he's had so many sick visits, I figured it was ok. She said her only concern was his vaxes. I told her he hadn't had any vaxes anyway but that Dr. Y and I had discussed it and were on the same page. She totally freaked out and told me I had to bring him "up to date" immediately. I told her there's a long wait for well-baby visits and I'm not going to do it when he's sick so she gave me about 14 prescriptions and told me talk to the receptionist on my way out and tell them that she said to get him in there on Monday so he could start on his vaxes and they'd have him up to date by a year (this was at about 11 months!!) I just smiled and nodded and went on my merry way. I took both boys for a sick visit not long ago and I told Dr. Y that I keep forgetting to schedule their well-checkups and asked her if she could look them over then. She said that was fine and then she said "you're not doing any more vaxes for now, right? Are you just going to delay or are you not doing them at all?" I told her I hadn't really decided...that I was still doing research and had turned in religious exemptions for school. She said fine and if I had any questions just to give her a call. I REALLY like her, it's just the nurses and the other doctors in her office that kind of get on my nerves. And the fact that their practice is getting so busy...there really is sometimes a 2-3 month wait for well visits and it's not always easy to see the person you want for a sick visit. And I'd really like to have a doc that thinks the same way I do and can teach me, not just one that tolerates my wackiness or that I have to teach, ya know? Oh well, I'm rambling now...
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
AngieJ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont know if you want togotogriffin but i just learned of a great dr. dr. coker he is the only dr in the practice and is suppose to be really good
Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
got2stnd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dr pullium of covenant care pediatrics is great.. he lets you do what you want and keeps his mouth shut also he doesn't try to give parenting "advice" as my last pedi did... hence why i switched haha
got2stnd is offline   Reply With Quote