Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: huh????

Why the rush? As if they grow up fast enough as it is, why push EC/PL like this? Changing diapers don't bother me, never has because I always knew that part of their lives goes so fast anyways.. is this just for those that don't want to deal with dirty diapers? I'm trying to understand the logic behind this.

Advertisement

Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #22
beccalriley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

lots of other cultures don't rely on diapers and never have...check out the links..nak
Old 01-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #23
misty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bamamom* View Post
Why the rush? As if they grow up fast enough as it is, why push EC/PL like this? Changing diapers don't bother me, never has because I always knew that part of their lives goes so fast anyways.. is this just for those that don't want to deal with dirty diapers? I'm trying to understand the logic behind this.
i with you. i am trying to understand this whole concept myself. i actually think cding is fun! i am having a blast with it. it's even pushed me to learn to sew.
serving my #1-Jesus Christ; helper, lover, friend to eric and blessed to be a sahm (though working 24/7) to ella gracie (03/05/03) and abigail ann (02/04/07) and levi david (8/16/10).
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #24
ethansemi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I LOVE CD too!! But I like my baby who is SOOOO happy without a diaper more!1 HEHE!!! we kind of fell upon EC by accident. My first stopped wetting at night when he was 2 months old and I always knew when he was going to go potty (and when he started talking around 9 months he would stop, look down and say uh-oh then go potty about 30 seconds later). He was without diapers around 16 months. We never started ECing with my first but when he was 14 months old we would put him on the potty after he woke up because he would hold it at night and no diaper could hold that amount of urine in!!!

Then with my second, he was two weeks old and we were getting ready to give him a bath (he was naked) and I noticed that same sound my older son would do b/f he would go potty so I ran Seth to the toilet and he went!!!! After that my DH and I were thinking?? HUMM lets leave him diaperless and see if this works again!!! So we did and sure enough it worked!!! When he was almost two months old we started useing a little potty chair and the first time he sat on it he went and since then he just wears underwear and is never wet!!!

He is SOOOOOOOOO happy without a diaper!! And he poops more regularly. So I do it because he stops crying when I take the his diaper off and he is so content since he stopped wearing diapers!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #25
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccalriley View Post
lots of other cultures don't rely on diapers and never have...check out the links..nak
And these same cultures don't have a choice. If given the luxury and opportunity to use diapers, I bet they would jump at the chance... As with anything in life, you gotta do what you gotta do so this is just their way of coping with the situation as best as they can. I think it's sad they have to do this with their children. It's just confusing why anyone would choose do this when they don't have to. Maybe I just view things differently now that 3 of my kids are so much older and I can really look back and reflect; it's mind blowing how fast the time has gone.. it's just nice to stop and smell the roses and just let our children BE children as long as possible. Live and let live though, right? I was just trying to understand... thanks for the reply..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #26
WILLSWIFE4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *bamamom* View Post

Maybe telling you my story of Ec will help you understand a bit...like you I was skeptical...when I first heard about EC on tv one day I thought these crazy hippies what the heck you can't train a newborn.....when preggers with my third child I had a friend who was also preggers who was planning to EC ,and I thought she was totally nuts ,once our babys were born I starting asking her how it was going and she said well and I even watched her take him to the bathroom a few times ,I told her although I admired her effort ,I had two older children and I was much to busy to EC ...when my ds was about 4 months old I started noticing that he would cough or fuss and I started noticing he went to the bathroom shortly after that ......just as a fluke one day while feeding him dinner I picked him up and put him on the potty when he did that and lo and behold he pooped on the potty and then pee'd and with a big ol grin at me......I personally now understand that EC is not about potty "training " but parent "training " just like you child communicated to you that he is hungry thirsty or tired your child is born with the ability to let you know that they need to us the bathroom ...this has formed a wonderful bond with my child and a sense of pride for myself that I am able to identify what my child is telling me he needs .....personally and no offense to you but I dont see how its a luxurary for a child to pee or poop on themselves ...its more more of a luxary to take the time to listen to your childs needs and fulfill them ....
WILLSWIFE4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #27
laceys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add that I don't feel diapers are a luxury. I only recently heard of EC but I am positive some of the theories behind are true. My DD does not want to pee in a diaper. She is 4 months old and I truly believe she wants me to help her find a place to pee. The moment she pees she wants her diaper off, and I can't say I blame her. I think the biggest point of clarification is that EC isn't about teaching the child to hold it, it's about teaching the parent how to help the child and understand the child's communication. Like others have said, every child is different, it's about learning from and listening to your child. I think it takes more effort and concentration than diapering. I am going to start and I hope it goes well. I am glad this forum is here. I feel a little less intimidated knowing there is a place where I might find help.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 AM   #28
WILLSWIFE4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceys View Post
I just wanted to add that I don't feel diapers are a luxury. I only recently heard of EC but I am positive some of the theories behind are true. My DD does not want to pee in a diaper. She is 4 months old and I truly believe she wants me to help her find a place to pee. The moment she pees she wants her diaper off, and I can't say I blame her. I think the biggest point of clarification is that EC isn't about teaching the child to hold it, it's about teaching the parent how to help the child and understand the child's communication. Like others have said, every child is different, it's about learning from and listening to your child. I think it takes more effort and concentration than diapering. I am going to start and I hope it goes well. I am glad this forum is here. I feel a little less intimidated knowing there is a place where I might find help.

one motivating thing I will say is as your child gets a bit older you will find it is way less effort then diapering....I love the fact that I dont have to clean poop off his back from a diaper blow out while he squirms and trys to stick his feet and hands in the dirty diaper....in the beginning I thought I didnt have time to EC but I am finding it actually takes less time and the older kids like to help so it makes it a family thing...although hubby is a bit less on board with it....unfortunatly ....but he does encourage the rest of us
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #29
WILLSWIFE4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also wanted to add that it isnt pressuring your child to potty train faster its keeping them awear of the natural urge to NOT want to eliminate on themsleves so they let you know they are about to go and you respond.........also why train them twice when you diaper them aren't you just training your child to go in a diaper then later on having to confuse the child by telling him all of the sudden that thats not were they pee and poop when for two, three years they have been using a diaper to get rid of there waste??? Why not just show them where it should go from the beginning...and it doesnt mean that you aren't letting them be a child ...it just means you are in tune with them as YOUR child and you are helping them to take care of a function just like you care for them when they want to eat ,sleep.......
Old 01-22-2008, 08:38 AM   #30
beccalriley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

okay so this is going to sound way crazy...but some people consider bottles a luxury. In this same way these cultures who are "lacking" the modern things we have..stay in tune with their babies needs by not relying on diapers. Not bashing moms who use bottles or forumula..but other cultures can't use bottles or formula because of lack of sanitation and clean water. I think that for that same reason diapers wouldn't work in many of the cultures..they have not adequate place to clean or dispose of dirty dipes.
I enjoy having nice diapers but also enjoy returning to the natural bond of communicating with my babies needs..be that feeding or eliminating.
i think so many times we look down on other cultures and think they are lacking because they don't have all the modern things that we have. However, many of these people would be horrified to think of putting something on your baby to hold the pee or poop in against their body. To them that would be degrading.
I think EC has nothing to do with not letting your baby be a baby. It is all about communication and bonding.