Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #11
blessed3times
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Warning-Stupid Question Alert!

I had to have my washing machine tub replaced because of rust. When the guy came out to fix it, he, of course, took it apart. I thought that, first, I would puke and then die of embarrasement!! It was so nasty. Buildup of hair and lint and God only knows what else. Yuk!!! So, I asked him if he would mind if I scrubbed it while he had it apart. Thankfully, he said okay!! He told me the best thing to do was to clean your machine once a month by running a full hot load and add a cup of bleach. He also said that fabric softner makes the buildup way worse. And it can make your washer stink once the buildup occurs. I don't use fabric softner that much--definitely not in my diapers--but sometimes in my towels. No more!!! I mean, seriously ya'll, that was gross!

By the way, he told me that everyone's washing machine is nasty. He's met people who clean their floors with toothbrushes but have a disgusting washer. That made me feel a little bit better. Not much though.....

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even STUPIDER question, lol... can you clean out your dryer? We're getting one from some friends and I want to figure out a way to get the dryer-sheet buildup off it.
Bella Catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
A'smommy
Registered Users

hmm...well bleach for the washer sounds good; i would have suggested vinegar. same effect probably.

for the dryer...hmm. you can get people to come out and vacuum it for the lint buildup (often the same guys that clean chimneys...it's a huge shop-vac basically). if you figure out a cleaner i'd love to know. my dryer has some discoloration that i've tried to scrub out with citrus cleaner and MAN, it took forever and didn't make much difference (i gave up).

-K
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
stellar225
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tararaboomdeea
OK, sooo, how do I clean my washer?? Is that stupid?

I mean, do I use regular detergent to clean it, or something else?

I think I have build up in my washer because I washed 2 brand new diapers last night and saw bubbles in the water. There couldn't be build up on new diapers, so I think I need to wash my washer!

How often should I wash my washer?
Do you have soft water, by chance?

We do and I was having issues with bubbles & clothes not rinsing...turned out even though I was filling the cap with detergent to the lowest line, it was still about 5 times more than I needed. Washer Man told me I only need to fill it up about a centimeter.

As far as cleaning the washer, I do about the same thing the link says.