Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Tofu recipes? and a question.

I just went grocery shopping last night and I bought a 450 gram package of firm tofu. I've never used it to make any meals with and was wondering if anyone has some good recipes to use it in. It's just me and my two LO's right now so we have a chance to try it out. Also can I just use it in place of meat in most recipes? I'm trying to do less meat and more vegetarian to be frugal & eco-friendly. Any recipes or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks mamas!

Tiffany, Mama to Tiernan & Ava;
Trying hard to be thrifty & eco-friendly at the same time.
tiffanyamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Shawna in CA
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Tofu recipes? and a question.
Mom to Samuel (15 yrs.), and Violet (6 mos.)

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Sorry, I don't have a ton of time right now, but check out this site. I think it will have a lot of helpful info for you!
Sarah- Crunchy mama to Isabel and Teague
momma2izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Registered Users

We often use tofu for half the meat in many recipes. The key is to bump up the seasonings, and to marinate the tofu in them. We use it in Pad Thai and marinate cubed tofu in lime, sugar and fish sauce, for example. I have a great Korean recipe that I've posted here for beef with zucchini that we usually double and use tofu for half the meat--and make sure that we have a little extra seasoning in. In that one, since it simmers, it really isn't necessary to marinate the tofu--we just fry it up with the beef.

Let me know if you want either recipe in detail: I'd be happy to type them up for you.
Heather, new mom (10/14/08) to a son (our first)! Happily married to my best friend, who waited to become a daddy while I finished grad school.
mcbruhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
max's mommy
Registered Users
My Mood:

I have a ton of good tofu recipes.

What to your girls like to eat? Maybe I can then send recipes that would go over easier.

Good ones my 4 year old ds likes are:
Crispy tofu nuggets
San Sans Poulet (like chicken salad) -- ds's favorite
Tofu Enchiladas (this whole recipe is time consuming, but you can break it down and use the tofu "filling" part for all kinds of stuff). my favorite.
Tofu Parmesean (did I spell that right?)
Filet of Tofu
Spinach Tofu Quich (my dh's favorite).

I'm assuming your package tofu is probably is close to 1 lb? I'm assuming it's water-packed Chinese Style?

Many recipes call to freeze your tofu first (it changes the texture so it's chewy and will absorb more flavors).

I'd be happy to help you!!! The fake chicken salad stuff is SO fast & would be great for the 3 of you!!!
Amy, the luckiest woman in the world.

Mom to Maxwell (6/04) and Hugo (12/07) . Happily married to the most amazing husband EVER, Mark
max's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote