Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Potty learning: What have I done wrong?

I just started potty teaching my almost 14 mo DS. He had been signing for "toilet" for quite a while and was doing it a lot the past few weeks so we thought he was ready. After 4 days of potty learning, however, he seems to be regressing! Is this normal? Have I done anything wrong? Was I wrong to start him now? If you're curious, I've included some info below to clarify...

1) DS has used cloth diapers since birth.
2) DS has been using the potty since he was around 5 months old.
3) For the most part, he uses the potty every time we put him on it.
4) Recently, he had been signing to use the "toilet" a lot (like 7+ X's per day) and would go almost every time he'd ask for it. This is why we thought it might be a good time to start (I was planning on starting when it was warmer!)
5) We decided to go bare bottomed for potty learning: morning to night including naps. At night we're using cloth with a suedecloth liner.
6) The first day started as expected, lots of misses, but got better mid-day (he even had a dry 2 hour nap!!! ), then lots of misses in the early evening.
7) The second day defenitely saw an improvement, but got worse again in the evening.
8) The third day was awesome so far. Just a few misses before bedtime.
9) The fourth day (today) was pretty good in the morning, dry nap, then TONS of misses in the afternoon up until bedtime! It almost seemed like he totally lost control of his bladder. He'd pee standing, sitting, on mama, or on papa. It didn't matter if it got all over him or not. He didn't sign for "toilet" at all until I said "You have to tell me when you need to use the toilet, then I can take you to go pee in the toilet, not the floor." Even then he only signed a couple of times after he'd go

Please help!!!

Advertisement

zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
lovinclothmama
Registered Users

Re: Potty learning: What have I done wrong?

This sounds normal. If you are worried that he doesn't seem to be aware that he even has to go then perhaps you can look at his diet? Does he seem to be worse when he eats or drinks something?

DD pees almost uncontrollably when she has had too much apple juice or a lot of wheat products.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Shabbychic

He's not ready, it's as simple as that.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
lovinclothmama
Registered Users

I disagree. Since he has been using the potty since 5 months then it sounds like part time EC to me and that means that you are now taking it to full time EC. It will take time and adjusting to get use to but is totally possible.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's what I was thinking too. Other than pulling his pants off and crawling to the potty to go, I don't know what other signs there could be! Remember, he would sign to go to the "toilet" lots of times during the day, sometimes every 10 minutes and actually go pee or poo in the potty when I'd take him. Also, when he's on the potty and goes pee, I wait a few minutes, ask if he's all done and he doesn't do the "all done" sign, a few minutes later he'll actually go poop. That tells me he knows that he has to go and prefers doing it in the potty. I have talked to a couple other EC mamas and heard that they potty taught their LO's at around 12-15 months. Though, I don't think he's that far from learning, I do worry about pushing him a little too soon.

Oh yeah, what does wheat have to do with peeing?

Last edited by zebaby; 01-20-2008 at 11:12 PM.
zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

my dd started showing interest at like 18mths old, HOWEVER she was in diapers until......21mths
she is 2yrs and 3mths and still has atleast one pee accident a day and it's usually when she is tired and not on the top of her game

when she was younger she would want to sometimes, tell me she had to go, pee on the floor etc. It was a long process and also i've heard boys take longer than girls

Last edited by mommypatton521; 01-21-2008 at 12:12 AM.
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
That's what I was thinking too. Other than pulling his pants off and crawling to the potty to go, I don't know what other signs there could be! Remember, he would sign to go to the "toilet" lots of times during the day, sometimes every 10 minutes and actually go pee or poo in the potty when I'd take him. Also, when he's on the potty and goes pee, I wait a few minutes, ask if he's all done and he doesn't do the "all done" sign, a few minutes later he'll actually go poop. That tells me he knows that he has to go and prefers doing it in the potty. I have talked to a couple other EC mamas and heard that they potty taught their LO's at around 12-15 months. Though, I don't think he's that far from learning, I do worry about pushing him a little too soon.

Oh yeah, what does wheat have to do with peeing?

Some children who are intolerant to certain foods can have all kinds of symptoms when eating said foods. Regressions ect.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
lovinclothmama
Registered Users

She is wheat sensitive and it will make her not only VERY grumpy and she will pee every 5-10 minutes little bits at a time. Thats unusual because she goes 30-40 minutes in between pottying without wheat.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 PM   #9
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

THere is nothing wrong with encouraging the potty when he is interested in it. There is also nothing wrong with letting him be 14 months and NOT using the potty. Don't get frustrated...my dd is almost 2.5 and we have let her control her PLing 110%...she pooped on the potty for the first time today and goes pee ALL the time without even telling us she is going to go. She wears undies most of the time, but after she has a few accidents, we pre-snap her dipes and let her wear 'undies'.

He isn't ready to be potty TRAINED. Even if you are doing EC, great, do EC, but don't get upset when he acts as most 14 month old kids do...and pees out of control. And most of all, don't stress about it...he will feel that and associate it with the toilet...NOT a good road to go down.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #10
avidreader
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't pt a child yet, but I will tell you that my mom did EC with us (though she never would have known there was a name for it- she just thought it was strange that Americans actually wake up one day and decide that day they are going to start potty training their lo's) and my bros were in undies around 2 and I was at 15 months old. She said when she dropped me off at the church nursery and they asked where my diaper bag was and she told them I didn't have one as I was in undies and was pt- they just about keeled over in - they thought she was loony . So, it is possible! Anyway- keep up the good work!