Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #1
3rdontheway
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I use born fre bottles with avent pump?

I have purchased a medela harmony hand pump and hate it. It is uncomfortable and doesn't seem to get as much milk as my avent pump. I had an avent hand pump but got rid of it when I read about the toxic plastic. I really loved my avent though and am thinking of purchasing another one and using a born free bottle to collect the milk. Any thoughts on this? Wondering if the bottles are compatible. I used the avent for my first two kids but now feel guilty now that I know about the plastic issue. But I really need to pump because my lo doesn't empty both breast during feeding time.

Please give me some advice.

Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
rcarver
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can I use born fre bottles with avent pump?

IDK, you might contact the born free company and ask them.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
andreax3
Banned

My Mood:

I think you can.
I used them with my playtex pump and they were alittle bit loose, but they worked just fine.
andreax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have Avent adapters for my Ameda pump and they would not connect to my born free bottles.

The website newbornfree.com has adapters for their bottles to fit onto standard pumps, but I don't think Avent's pumps are standard they're too wide.

If you're trying to stay away from BPA I think the Avent Via collection cups are BPA free. It is just the hard plastic Avent bottles that have BPA.

Also, I believe you really only have to worry about BPA in containers that you store and heat breastmilk and other fluids in. Simply passing through a breastpump that may have BPA should not affect the milk from what I have read.

You could also pump into the Avent disposable nursers - directly into the storage bag which is BPA free.

Last edited by jeannewojo; 03-02-2008 at 11:58 PM.
jeannewojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
melm1022
Registered Users

I don't know about using the Bornfree bottles, but I had the same issue (love the Avent pump but concerned about bpa in the bottles). I decided to use Playtex drop-ins since they are supposedly made from the "safe" kind of plastic. I use the One Step breast milk storage kit which didn't come with an adaptor the fit the avent pump but I called Playtex customer service and they sent me two adaptors for free. Now I can pump directly into the Drop-ins liners from the Avent pump. Like someone mentioned in their post, the milk only flows through the polycarbonate part of the pump and I am comfortable with that. It is working great for me; I like that I can pump/store/feed with one system. Just something for you to consider!
melm1022 is offline   Reply With Quote