Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #1
wmama
Registered Users
seller

Help! Suddenly leaking everywhere at night and naps

I don't know what's going on. My 6month old ds started leaking at night a week ago, and has leaked almost nightly since. He even leaked the night I tried a disposable on him. He leaks on whatever side he's lying--his side, or at the top of his waistband. With side snaps, it seems like the pee is sometimes running right out between the two side snaps. I usually use pockets at night. Today he was soaked when he woke from his nap, too--definately coming from the back waistband.

The inserts are *really* soaked lately, more than they ever used to be, so it might be just not enough absorbancy. OTOH, the one that leaked at nap today was soaked at the front and back, but fairly dry in the mid-section. The fleece felt wet in the area it leaked, too. I tried pouring water on the inside of one of his FB, and it did bead up, which made me think build-up. BUT, we only use Charlie's detergent, which is supposed to be totally residue-free, so that doesn't make sense.

I have him in a Swaddlebees OV fitted plus a hemp doubler tonight, with a Rikki over the top, so I'll see how that does. Does this sound like not enough absorabancy, or repelling fleece?

I'm desperately ISO a Very Baby Simply Nights to try, to see if that would solve our problem. I don't know what to do!

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
bectoria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! Suddenly leaking everywhere at night and naps

If the inserts are really soaked, then you really need to up the absorbancy. But if the dipe is leaking before the insert is saturated (like at naps), then there ARE a few things you can try. If he's a side-sleeper, that's going to pose a bit of a challenge as there is really no absorbancy in the side of any dipe (sposie or cloth). Personally, I prefer to use a combo of materials as an insert for nighttime. I always put a microfiber insert (like cottonbabies) closer to the baby b/c (IMO) it absorbs faster than most other materials. You'll want another layer (or two) of another material in there - hemp is good, as is BKT (burly knit terry). The SEZ inserts are fantastic - I use a day insert plus a cottonbabies for nights and have never had a leak with that combo.

What kind of dipes are you using? Solid PUL will always hold up a lot better than a print. And a trip through the dryer can do a lot to help a pocket dipe not leak.

FWIW, I've never found the pouring water onto the inner of a dipe trick to be very helpful. We have no repelling issues, and water always beads on the top of the dipe when I try the "test".
bectoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the poster above in everything she said. We have to use a combo of two fibers for our son, usually MF on top of hemp. Or at night I use SEZ's night insert or a day insert with MF. Boys wet very fast, so the pee needs a super absorbant material to be right next to them to take it all in. I use pockets exclusively. Usually windpro fleece at night because they are more breathable. FB are pretty good because of the way the wrap in front for our fast wetter. He sleeps on his side or stomach. Just make sure your getting it on snug with out the insert being too full in the pocket. The elastic has to be touching the skin to do it's job and if the insert is too thick you'll get wicking out the sides. HTH. We're here for you. Leaks are a bummer.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The diaper could be getting too snug, if it is leaking between the snaps.

Otherwise you might want to invest in one hemp fitted and wool soaker.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Mommyk8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only thing that works for us is a trifold hemp insert wrapped in a microfiber towel in an FB. I also make sure that if she is in a onseie that it is a size or two up then what she is wearing so it doesn't put pressure on the diaper and cause the diaper to leak.
Mommyk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
jodi5
Registered Users

For us, I always use a prefold on top of hemp. I find the prefold works better than any other doubler I've tried. They feel wet fairly quickly but seem to be able to hang on to it very well. If you have any, I would be tempted to try one with what you have and see if it helps since it is an inexpensive alternative.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
wmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the help so far. To give more info, I use solid PUL pockets, mostly FB, but I have a few other kinds. His FB are too small for him, which is an issue (I'm waiting for more GADs), but it's happening even in other pockets which are the next size up, and do fit him. My usual night stuffings are a microfiber twinsert with a hemp trifold. The twinsert is a long 2-layer insert, so I put the hemp trifold sandwiched between the folded twinsert, giving 4 layers of microfiber and 6 layers of hemp jersey (it is a really thin hemp trifold--a rainfold, if they still make those). I do think I need more for him, though.

I'm a little stumped by yesterday's nap leak, though, where the front was soaked, and the back was soaked where he leaked out, but the middle was dry. I'm glad to hear that the water beading up doesn't necessarily mean anything, because I can't imagine we would have build-up with using only Charlie's. Plus, he doesn't leak when he's awake, wearing the same pockets.

I'm going to be trying some heftier fitteds with covers for night.