Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #1
poser360
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question Expecta Lipil Supplement

I am SO new to this. I am 33wks pg and my friend just sent me a couple samples of Expecta Lipil supplements. I know you are supposed to talk to your Dr before you start anything but i wanted little feedback before i asked mt Dr. Has anyone used this? Its supposed to help with brain development.

Advertisement

poser360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:
Re: Expecta Lipil Supplement

It probably won't hurt you, but I definitely wouldn't spend money on it. The best thing you can do for brain development is to eat well yourself, and breastfeed after birth. You don't need some lipil supplement. It wouldn't hurt you to use the free samples, but I seriously doubt it will make any difference. Besides, most of the myelinization of the brain and nerves happens after birth.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I took it for a couple of months before this pregnancy and I REALLY noticed a diff. in my abilitiy to think/remember/multitask etc. I was too sick during most of this pregnancy to take anything other than my zofran and zantac but plan on taking it again when my tummy feels up to it!
Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took it the entire pg with dd and I have taken it for 1/2 of this one. I like it- I don't know if it really does that much good, but I have TERRIBLE eye sight and that's one of the things dha is supposed to help with so I figure it's worth it if it helps my los out in the future- right?! Not to mention it's supposed to support brain development. I was given the first samples by my ob- so no need to ask them!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have free samples here too, but I cant find WHERE they are manufactured. And I wont take anything unless I know where it comes from. Just my two cents.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
poser360
Registered Users

My Mood:

thx for the advice
poser360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

A bit of a hijack, but I think the Lipil supplement is for the DHA, which is also present in fish oil, flaxseed oil, and omega 3 supplements, right, and probably cheaper? DH has some flaxseed oil already, liquid form (not capsules) and I wonder if anyone has any tips for a palatable way to take it?

I am such a wimp: I haven't even tried it yet because I am sure the liquid will be gross and I am too cheap to buy capsules when I already have some.
aggfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post
A bit of a hijack, but I think the Lipil supplement is for the DHA, which is also present in fish oil, flaxseed oil, and omega 3 supplements, right, and probably cheaper? DH has some flaxseed oil already, liquid form (not capsules) and I wonder if anyone has any tips for a palatable way to take it?

I am such a wimp: I haven't even tried it yet because I am sure the liquid will be gross and I am too cheap to buy capsules when I already have some.
For Omega-3, you can take Evening Primrose Oil, which you can find in capsule form at just about any grocery store or Health Food store. I take 3 of them a day
Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggfan View Post

Yes, basically you can replace any oil with it in any recipe that doesn't get cooked or heated. Like salad dressings, or mayo. Or you can blend some in a smoothie. If you take it everyday, you shouldn't need more than a Tbs or so. Personally, I don't care for the taste. I use hemp oil instead which has a wonderful rich nutty taste.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
MommaRhi
Registered Users
Co-Op Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its just an Omega 3 acid that helps w/ the babies brain development supposedly. It doesnt do anything for the mom. You are supposed to begin taking it early in pregnancy, and you take it in conjunction w/ a prenatal vitamin.