Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
cay929
Registered Users
seller

Re: Expecta Lipil Supplement

I didn't take it myself, but my BF did her whole preganancy and is continuing to take it while she breastfeeds. Her doc really recommended it, in addition to her prenatal vit., so she's an advocate.

Advertisement

cay929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #12
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa-Rachelle View Post
For Omega-3, you can take Evening Primrose Oil, which you can find in capsule form at just about any grocery store or Health Food store. I take 3 of them a day
Take a look at your bottle of EPO. You might be surprised to see that it isn't just Omega-3s, but Omega-6s as well. Omega-6s are what we get in most oil (vegetable, etc.), so adding EPO is adding to the common (in Western diet) Omega 6:3 ratio imbalance. Something like a fish oil or flaxseed oil is ONLY Omega-3s, so they are a better choice if you are trying to up your 3 intake. EPO is still a good thing to take, esp. at the end of pregnancy to get the cervix softening up.

And to the OP, I don't think the Lipil supplement is bad to take at all, but you might be better served by taking a fish oil supplement (and that may in fact be cheaper than taking a supplement marketed and targeted at pg women!).

Last edited by kezoo; 01-30-2008 at 12:34 PM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Take a look at your bottle of EPO. You might be surprised to see that it isn't just Omega-3s, but Omega-6s as well. Omega-6s are what we get in most oil (vegetable, etc.), so adding EPO is adding to the common (in Western diet) Omega 6:3 ratio imbalance. Something like a fish oil or flaxseed oil is ONLY Omega-3s, so they are a better choice if you are trying to up your 3 intake. EPO is still a good thing to take, esp. at the end of pregnancy to get the cervix softening up.

And to the OP, I don't think the Lipil supplement is bad to take at all, but you might be better served by taking a fish oil supplement (and that may in fact be cheaper than taking a supplement marketed and targeted at pg women!).
You are right. I took Expecta Lipil during my first pregnancy. Right after my DD was born I looked into it more because it was so expensive and found out that it was basically one of the same supplements that my husband takes but a whole lot cheaper. So, while BF DD and during this entire pregnancy I have been taking an Omega 3/6/9 supplement that has fish, flax, and borage oil. My doc also highly recommended taking an Omega supplement. It is supposed to help brain and eye development in the baby and also has health benefits for Mama.
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote