Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
~sarah~
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Help me pick a carseat

Okay, so I know next to nothing about carseats. Sean's still in his Graco infant seat but he'll be too big for it very soon. He's just over 18lbs and about 28in and just shy of 7 months old. We have a Toyota Corolla...so not a very big car. What would you knowledgable mamas suggest.

For now I'm more concerned about safety than about price but if I'm going to buy an expensive seat then I want it to last for a while, kwim?

Thanks mamas!

Advertisement

~sarah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
pixilated
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me pick a carseat

Evenflo Triumph Advanced. $130, harnesses to 50lbs, and has tall harness slots.
pixilated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Mom2BabiesA&I
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got a FP safe voyage (from allbeebaby) and it seems to be a great seat. Made my Britax and only $130! Harnesses to 55 pounds and has nice, high harness slots (I think the top one is 17.5 inches).

I haven't installed it yet as the driveway is a sheet of ice right now (thanks freezing rain) but I will let you know what I think once I get it in there!

Its nice and light too which is nice in a convertable seat.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

We love our Cosco Scenera (we simply can't afford a Britax, at least not for a while...but I would like to get one eventually). I've seen it rated as the "low cost" Britax alternative in lots of places. We have a Camry and it fits great in the car, doesn't even squish up next to our infant SafeSeat (which I just tried out last night). It's lightweight, too. They average around $40 but we got ours for $25 (at Shopko, and I've seen them on sale there numerous times since).

Last edited by 1blessedmama; 01-29-2008 at 05:20 PM.
1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

I'd go w/one of the big britax Marathon/blvd or if $$ is tight, a scenera. all of those will last you for quite a while. prob till he's ready for a real booster.

dh has a 95 corolla and dd is rf in that in a marathon still (2+ yo)
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oooo, my fave subject! For convertibles, I like the Evenflo Triumph Advance(ok, I drool over it everytime I go to Target). It is about $130-150, depending how much padding you want. It is rearfacing to 35lbs and forward facing to 50lbs. The best part? I will actually get most kids to 50lbs without outgrowing it by height. It is wide, tough. Since he is not a nb anymore, the seat can be more upright and in fact, many convertibles fit better than the infant seats. I also love the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. The only prob with it, is that the seats will already be as much as a year old, although even with five years left on it, your little one would make it to about 5.5 in it. That's a pretty good booster age. The big Britax seats are wonderful as well and they will be on sale at many online retailers in February.
The Radian is good, too, but I know it has some installation issues in Toyotas and it has to be really reclined by design.

I would definately check out the Evenflo. Avoid the Graco Comfortsport, though. It's really pricey for a seat that has super short top harness slots. There are those that love it, but it really only has 15" harness slots, so it is outgrown very early.

HTH! I would be glad to answer any other questions!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

A narrower option would be the Radian 65 or 80. They have a gray Radian 80 on sale at Babiesrus.com right now for $139. They are regularly $269, so it almost half price. The 65s are $199 regular priced. They have the same slot heights, 18 inches, so unless you have an extra heavy kid, they will outgrow them at the same time. They rear face until 35 pounds. Good luck on your decision.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
redneckmama
Registered Users
Formerly: lilybugsmomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
Oooo, my fave subject! For convertibles, I like the Evenflo Triumph Advance(ok, I drool over it everytime I go to Target). It is about $130-150, depending how much padding you want. It is rearfacing to 35lbs and forward facing to 50lbs. The best part? I will actually get most kids to 50lbs without outgrowing it by height. It is wide, tough. Since he is not a nb anymore, the seat can be more upright and in fact, many convertibles fit better than the infant seats. I also love the Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe. The only prob with it, is that the seats will already be as much as a year old, although even with five years left on it, your little one would make it to about 5.5 in it. That's a pretty good booster age. The big Britax seats are wonderful as well and they will be on sale at many online retailers in February.
The Radian is good, too, but I know it has some installation issues in Toyotas and it has to be really reclined by design.

I would definately check out the Evenflo. Avoid the Graco Comfortsport, though. It's really pricey for a seat that has super short top harness slots. There are those that love it, but it really only has 15" harness slots, so it is outgrown very early.

HTH! I would be glad to answer any other questions!
I totally agree, and FWIW we have 2 Britax Marathons and love them!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
mom2riley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would also go with an EFTA or a Britax convertible.
Leilani '10
mom2riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #10
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a Marathon and love it. It fit just fine in our Camry RFing too.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote