Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Alright, so very intrigued here, not sure what to even ask

Ok, I'm dying to get my son potty trained and all the while my little girl will pee on the potty.
We have really missed the window of opportunity with my son who is 2 1/2 years old. He used to go on the potty for fun for us when he was under a year old. We did not continue this ritual and I'm kicking myself now. Now, it's kind of a fight - please please please go for mommy. KWIM?
Meanwhile, my DD who is 8 months I've been taking potty at least 3 times a day - after each nap and in the morning after she wakes up. She will do it too. In fact DS says after he goes, mommy lets put Ellie on too.

Ok, so any tips. I feel like I'm doing both at one time here (oh and hubby is deployed, so no help there). First, any help with my son. I mean we are actually potty training him - this ain't no EC with him.
And for my daughter - how do I keep the trend going and what do I need to watch for? Sometimes she is even dry through naps. This is a big difference between her and my son - it was a rare occurance that he was dry through a nap before a year old. Now he is, but I'm amazed that she already is.
My goal is to have both of them mostly potty trained by the time my husband gets home. Oh, and I know that potty trained is the term to be used now days, but that's just what I grew up with so it's what I say.

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
4HisGlory
Registered Users
Formerly: 2&1ontheway
seller

Re: Alright, so very intrigued here, not sure what to even ask

Your son sounds like mine.... he was going on the potty occasionaly for a while but stopped completely. Nowehen we have him out of diapers at home he will pee on the floor and tell me potty afterward.. and then goes and gets a towel for me to clean it with! Sorry, I'm no help but I would love to hear some advice as well! My mom told me to let my son stand up and pee in a papercup because they like the sound it makes She said that is what finally trained my brother... worth a shot! LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
duckieheart
Registered Users
seller

My mom trained my brother with cheerios. Gave them a target. Im not much help there.

With DD, if its working, keep going. I first noticed DD staying dry through naps at 8 mths as well, and she is mostly dry at night now at 10 mths. We typically pee her after she nurses (after her nap), and then again about 20 min later. Then shes good until she eats her solids, an hour or so later. Then again in 20 min. Then right before nap, we may or may not get anything. You might want to keep a log written too. Im sure it would be overwhelming to keep track in your head of both children plus DH being away.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Blurberrybuzz
Registered Users

I trained my nephew when he was 2 1/2, I ec'd my ds Vin now 3. Sine DS is 2 1/2 he know's he has a will and volition. The key is for him to realize that the best decision that brings the most personal comfort is to pee and poop on the potty. I like to stress comfort. It's not comfortable to hold your pee til you wet your pants. It's not comfortable being wet or poopy. It can burn your bum and cause a rash. Some ideas to bring fun into it are:
1. a timer. Set it for every 60-90 minutes and when it goes off, race like mad to the bathroom. Make it a huge game with an M&M or chocolate chip for a treat. 2. Sing the potty song, the tune is where is thumbkin,
Where are Vincent's little pee pees?
Where are Vin's little pees?
Where are Vincent's Little pee pees?
In the pot, In the pot.
3. Chart it. For some reason tons of kids love a chart. So many pees or dry days can get you a trip to a special park or can watch a movie or pick what's for dinner or make cookies or whatever.
4. Limit the time you try. Don't sit on the potty for 15 minutes waiting for a pee. Sit for 3-5 minutes. If nothing happens, hop down and try again 20 minutes later. Set a timer for the sitting time too. Kids love timers and see if he can beat the timer by peeing before the bell rings.
5. If you live in a warm climate or in the warm months, go outside. Boys love to pee in the dirt. They love to pee on sticks. We have a special dirt area for peeing. It's easy to hose down too.
Hope something will work and when he makes the decision to go, it will be done. You may have to remind him that it's time to pee for a while. DS took until he was 3 until I didn't have to remind him every time. Now I just ask him to go before naps and bed and he takes care of the rest and he was ec'd from 2 weeks old.
Good luck.
Kudos for taking this on while DH is deployed.
Blurberrybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
newuanda
Registered Users
seller

Great suggestions - right now we are doing the timer with him. Every hour and he has really good days and then bad ones.
We also do the M&M treat (only if he asks for it)

I've also tried, putttying cheerios in the potty and making him shoot at them, putting a little dishsoap in and having him make bubbles, speed peeing with daddy, stickers for peeing....hmmmm oh yeah and green food coloring in the potty so when he goes the water turns blue.

I like the song - that's cute.
Blurberrybuzz - even though DS wasn't graduated till about three, did you still find it beneficial? I mean like less diapers to wash, or did the hassle of taking him potty outweigh the other benefits - just wondering.

Oh, and how cold is it there for you today? We are in Iowa and it's so cold here and we used to live in the Twin Cities, and I remember those cold winters. I don't know if I would survive them now, I think that moving even one state south has made my blood thinner.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #6
Blurberrybuzz
Registered Users

Well we had some cold days, but finally the today it got to about 30. Yeah. We had a fun day outside.
I thin kit was totally worth it with Vin (the 3 yo) Now he can take himself potty and the work is done and there is no battle of wills. I have many friends who's kids don't even start until 3 and even at 4 have numerous accidents and need constant reminding to go. It's pretty self sufficient to potty oneself at three with no help from an adult except to wipe a bum after a BM. For the times that we had accidents, we just wore regular underwear or training pants just like any other potty learning kid regardless of age. We had mostly accident free days for so long that the odd pee on the floor or in the pants was never a big deal. He was only wearing a diaper at night from the summer he turned 1 1/2. That summer I'd sometimes put a diaper on him if we had a long car ride, but other than that he was in underwear. We even went to the state fair in underwear. We drove to Calgary AB Canada in underwear too. We just stopped every 90 min and peed in the ditch. If he was allowed to run around a yard naked all day and go anywhere, there would never be an issue, but since we're clothed in our society, they need help til about 3 when they can not only take all their clothes off, but pull those pants up too...lol There's been many a time when He'd take himself and come out with nothing on the bottom all ready to get back to playing, not caring that he was only in a t-shirt...lol
Blurberrybuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
2crabs
Banned

My Mood:

I let my son around in the Noot...Yes there were accidents on the rug but it was away for me to watch him easier and for him to understand his body
2crabs is offline   Reply With Quote