Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Personal reasons for CD?

I am curious as to the personal reasons-yes, I know that it is better for the environment, and cheaper than disposables in the long run, but I am wondering what the personal reasons for CD are. I used cloth with our two boys b/c I simply couldn't afford to buy disposables on one income-diapers were really pricey 17 yrs ago, the prices started coming down when our 2nd was born but we had all the CD from the older and couldn't not use them since then it would not cost much to diaper him. When we started fostercare a bit more than 8 yrs ago, we could afford the disposables as our income had increased over the years and diapers have dropped in price. Our first fosterbaby was severly allergic to disposables so I simply pulled out the CD I had never gotten rid of and used those for the 8 weeks he was with us, but went to dipsosables with the next child. The diapers I had for our boys were simply the flat diapers with pins and plastic pants and I really have no desire to go back to those. I know I would save $$$ with CD, but not sure if I want to do that or not, so give me the reason for CD or should I just stick with the disposables since we have no problem affording them.

Advertisement

Last edited by fostermomcchr; 08-18-2006 at 05:33 PM.
fostermomcchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: Personal reasons for CD?

We can afford disposables too, but I will never put my baby in another one. I started cding when I realized that the gel beads that come out of the sposies once the baby pees are toxic and can potentially cause damage.
I started to get very concerned when I realized that more people are dying of cancer now than ever before, and I wanted to know why. I have come to the realization that it's all the toxic things we are putting on and in our bodies (through makeup, household cleaners, skin care products, chemical filled diapers, processed foods, etc).

I am trying to do what I can to prevent disease and death in our home, so not using disposable diapers in one way I do this, along with making my own cleaners, using natural products, eating more organics, and cleaning out our insides.

Honestly, saving money was one thing I was happy about when I first started cding, but I am not very frugal when it comes to diaper shopping, so that reason has since gone out the window.

Cds are also soooo darn cute, I can't imagine that more people don't try them. It is so much more fun to put cloth on a baby than paper. And which do you think baby prefers sitting in? Of course, the answer would be cloth.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I feel that CDs are bound to be more comfy for the child, especially if you use stay-dry inners. They last longer. They have resale value. They are cute. They are breatheable, so less rash. They are cute. It just seems more natural to me. I don't know, just a few reasons I like them. Plus, I guess if I was honest with myself, I like the fact that it is "different." Just my
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I guess CD have changed quite a bit since I used them so I can see how they would be more fun than a plan white disposable. I guess I will have to see what I need to get started with CD with the newer styles. What is the best type to get started? I have no idea what hemp is at all.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

go to cottonbabies.com and abbyslane.com and check out all the different styles of dipes they have. There are all in ones, pockets, fitteds and covers...

Look at each style and figure out which one might work the best for you. Pockets are very popular for starting out.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
daniels_mami
Banned
seller

My Mood:

yes go to cottonbabies.com and they have sampler packs that you can try every diaper and see which one you like better. CDs have come a long way since you were doing it, even my ma was so surprised to see my collection and i dont even have that many! My main reason for using cloth diapers was that my son had a really big diaper rash and it was all bcuz one diaper came apart and all the gel stuff in it was all over him. did he got a yeast infection. i research cloth diapers and im so glad bcuz he no longer has rashes and his bottom is always cushioned! i wouldnt trade CDs for sposies, not even if they gave me a million dollars now!

i can afford disposable but why if they arent good for your baby nor the environment!
daniels_mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personal Reasons?

They are super cute! lol That's about the only one i have. I can afford Disposables, but don't want to be filling up a landfill with them for the next 20+ years.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:25 PM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

a personal reason, if I was to be straight up 150% totally honest, would be to say without a doubt because it's the shock value. I have never been one to follow fads, the crowd, peer pressure into doing stupid stuff... I always liked doing my own thing (whether it was right or wrong ) But I just LOVE the fact that it makes people do a double take. It's also a conversation starter.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
itsmelanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388
Personal Reasons?

They are super cute! lol That's about the only one i have. I can afford Disposables, but don't want to be filling up a landfill with them for the next 20+ years.
itsmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdartwife
a personal reason, if I was to be straight up 150% totally honest, would be to say without a doubt because it's the shock value. I have never been one to follow fads, the crowd, peer pressure into doing stupid stuff... I always liked doing my own thing (whether it was right or wrong ) But I just LOVE the fact that it makes people do a double take. It's also a conversation starter.
you dork!